Do you believe it's wrong that violent movies can pass with pg-13 or even a pg rating, but any kind of nudity can't pass beyond an R rating?

Does that mean we dislike nudity but love violence as a society?

• Yes that is wrong
  • No, thats not wrong
  • I just don't care

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely. We're messed up when we consider nudity and sex to be more offensive and harmful than violence. Nudity shouldn't be seen as inherently sexual; a naked body is just someone's body, automatically sexualising it kind of objectifies the person. But also sex shouldn't be so taboo; it's messed up that we associate sex with violence and shame rather than love and respect. Things like rape scenes being able to get lower age ratings than scenes showing women receiving sexual pleasure especially upset me.

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree with you that it's hypocritical of our society to treat gratuitous violence as more acceptable for young people than the human body. It's really messed up. Europeans are so much more advanced than we are in the U. S. when it comes to acceptance of the human body.

What Girls Said 10

• Another really ridiculous rule is that if 'fuck' is said more than once, it has to be R-rated, no questions asked.

And honestly, if sex is the issue, which it is understandably in a lot of cases - who wants to expose their young children to something they're not ready to understand - they don't even rate according to that. There are pg-13 movies with humour raunchier than my grandmother's (which is pretty impressive lol), but R movies that have nudity that isn't related to any sort of sexual intimacy or activity.

Just goes to show that the human body every person in the world has is still a taboo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• I feel like the rating of movies needs to be updated. It doesn't make sense anymore. Because of what you stated above

• Is proves that sex is still condidered a taboo whereas violence is not.
    A reflection on our way of life

• Yup, dude, it's pretty weird.

• The system we've got in the UK is much better. We have 12, 15 and then 18 ratings. 15 is for violent movies or that have sexual content. Whereas 18 is for extreme violence and sex.

• It's weird, but it's also weird that I've noticed people seem to be less affected by violence in cartoons, TV/movies, and video games in their youth than sexual/superficial stuff. Like, they act less on it. I guess violence just seems like a thrill to watch but not emulate whereas sex taps into curiosity and desire and people want to look/do that.

• Things that make you go hmmmm

• priorities in life man lol

• It's things like that I just don't understand.

• I think it's odd how some movies rated pg13 seem more rated R than actual rated R movies

What Guys Said 8

• Maybe because people don't want to deal with awkward sexual moments with kids around.

You'd have to find some research. Some depictions of violence don't do anything to kids, but we think they will probably be unprepared for super gorey shit, is that the right way to think? I don't know. Perhaps nudity is basically the sexual equivalent of gore and might fuck kids up in great quantity. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Find good research.

It's not an uncommon theme in the west. Feminists are all about getting many depictions of sexuality removed from media e. g. games, while besides the female characters being a little too attractive for their liking the player murders countless enemies (mostly men). Most people aren't influenced negatively by this stuff. But maybe if it's in excess to kids worse? Maybe even if they do get their hands on it then the idea that it's not for them - despite making it more interesting - also make them naturally steel themselves against it. Maybe going in with an understanding that it's for adults changes the way they digest it. I don't know. Research dude, research.

• I guess people believe kids are more likely to emulate sexual scenes than they are to emulate violent scenes. They believe kids are more likely to see a sex scene and thing "I want to try that!" than they are to think that about a murder scene. Most parents would prefer their kids having sex over their kids stabbing their classmate with a knife but they feel like they are less likely to emulate that.

• Nipples can hurt innocents terribly.
    Penis or pussy are even worse they destroy lives and families.
    ;)

• Very good ideas are mentioned here. I voted yes it is wrong, for a few reasons. Basically, there are questions of definition and questions of degree. Some things might be a little showy, but not much. Your point about disliking nudity and loving violence is a good one too! Obviously, people are born that way, and desensitization is a whole nother topic.

• I asked a similar question when I was watching Archer,
    I was watching the episode where they turn ray into a cyborg and they show his butt.
    I said, "They have to bleep the f-word but they can show ray's ass."

• We are mammals but pretend we are on a higher plane

• No I don't see a problem with that. A punch in the face doesn't get you pregnant or give you an STD.

• But it does hurt and still has the possibility of killing you