How good are you at negotiations , haggling , bargaining?

How good are you at getting what you want?
Say if a motorcycle list for $10k. How low do you reckon you can squeeze the price?
Say if a contractor is asking for $500k for the job. How much wiggle room can you push him?
How good are you at the table?

• Cunning as a fox , slippery as an eel
  • Derpy average joe
  • *incoherent rambling*

Most Helpful Girl

• I mean, there are a couple of key variables you aren't specifying here.
    * How rare is the item?
    * How bad do I want it?
    * How much demand is there? (If I use the walk-away tactic, how much time will probably pass until someone else bids on it?)

I am normally VERY good at negotiating, but, in a perfect-storm situation -- it's a rare item, there's lots of demand, and I know others will come knocking -- I'll have to just belly up and pay the asking price.
    Even so, I'd still try to use my own connections and expertise to bargain a little. If I could trade with my own services -- or with equally hard-to-find motorcycle or car parts (we have lots of those at my father's garage) -- I'd try that route.

For items with less demand, I am pretty amoral when it comes to negotiating tactics. For instance, if it's a meet-up for something that's being sold online, I'd think nothing of setting up fake eBay or Auto Trader listings for "other sellers" with prices closer to my asking price. Also, the art of the fake phone call (have yr friend call you during a negotiation and pose as "another seller" as you step outside and talk really loudly) is a fine art indeed. LOL

My favorite thing, in negotiations, is the strategic use of perfect silence.
    Most people just TOTALLY CANNOT HANDLE silence. They'll make a counter, or an offer... and then I'll just stare at them ahahhah. It's AMAZING how much most people will be willing to do some additional bargaining after you do this -- especially if they are the one who breaks eye contact first.
    (I think this is even more effective because I'm female. Men are totally not prepared to deal with a woman who actually knows how to negotiate, as opposed to that "being coy" bullshit that I've never been able to do anyway.)

• How rare is the item?
      Pretty rare. Have only seen 1 posting of it in the entire province but funnily enough it has been for over a month and still no one has bought it.
      How badly do I want it.
      Quite badly.
      It has 37,000km on it so it ain't exactly a spring chicken but it's quite the bargain when compared to machines of similar performance.
      How much demand there is.
      It's "one of a kind" , "never find another one like it". So pretty sure it's a supply choke thing.

What do I know?
      Very few. Has it been raced? They can say no when it's yes. Has it been crashed? They can say no when it has been. You get the idea.
      I have a few ideas about how to haggle the price down.
      High mileage for one.
      I wanted it in a different colour.
      Any knicks and dings or mechanical wear and tear would be easy to haggle.
      Gonna bring it to a 3rd party mechanic to have it be inspected , would show them a list of things that needs to be serviced soon , gonna hack some price off there.

• Aside from the little 300cc engine sounding like as if it's gonna crack open in two , and then 2 dozens little metal unicorns are gonna fly out and live a happy life up in the grassy hill. It's turning out GREAAAT!
      God damn I'm revving the engine like crazy going up and down 400m every day.
      It doesn't have enough grunt to pull me up.
      Good brakes and very manoeuvrable tho.

Most Helpful Guy

• Bike sell for $10,000.

1. You go with a buddy, give him $3000 to hold onto or leave it in the glove compartment while putting $5000 in your pocket.

2. You inspect the bike and discuss the many good aspects with your buddy while always returning to it's biggest flaw (less is more in this case).

3. You pull out the $5000 in hard cash, tell him you want the bike but it's all you have. It's his right here and now if he want it.

4. If he sells it for $5000 (unlikely), awesome. If he doesn't. You ask him what is the ABSOLUTE lowest he'll let it go.

5. When he says something like $8500 or $9000 you go back to your buddy and talk in hushed voices.

6. Return to him and tell him that you can get another $2500 thanks to your buddy, totaling $7500 later that very day... provided of course he lets you go take a trip to the bank with your buddy.

7. If he says yes (frequently), you go for a coffee with your buddy and come back 45min later and make the exchange.

8. If he still says no, you pick up the phone and make a fake phone call. Discuss is with your imaginary friend and Wiesel another $500 into the offer as if by magic. Tell him that that is the final offer- you can't get more.

9. Make the exchange otherwise walk away and wait to find another bike that catches your eye.

...

My first experience with this sort of thing was as the buddy for my uncle who was actually buying a bike... it's funny you picked that exact situation.

$5000 listing paid something like $2600 and managed to get it with a spare set of forks, fork seals, and a new chain as the cherry on top.

I had a teacher who could sell ice to an Eskimo.

• Although I personally fall between option A and option B on your list of choices. I'd voted A as I like to think I'm better then most given my 'rigorous' training... but in the end I simply don't have the experience to pull it off as flawlessly as those who do that shit for a living.

• Hmmmm... sounds reasonable. The 3rd party tactic so you can divert the target to someone who isn't there so the salesman don't have a direct line of sight to attack but how about lone wolf tactics. Got any ideas?

What Girls Said 13

• as a woman with arab genes and awkward charm, I'm pretty damn good.
    my highlight was when a chinese woman actually gave me a refund... the refund was for $12.50... and it took me 45mins to get my money back. no kidding.

• i've gotten a refund on two packs of cigarettes from a 7-11 purchased at another 7-11.

try that.

• @orphan MIRACLE. Miracles everywhere.
      lol no thanks i dont wanna set up camp at 7-11.

• I would say I'm pretty damn good at negotiations but then again I've really only used my skills at markets so far - it did get me a lot of freebies though! 😛
    I've never seen a point in trying to get a better deal at my local designer boutique lol they would probably just kick me out for having the audacity to even start a discussion. 😂

• Truthfully I am way better at selling things then bargaining. My dad's the haggle-king, not I.

• I am sooooo bad at haggling! I hate it!!!

When we go on vacations and deal with street vendors I always make whoever is with me do it lol I will just immediately pay the first price asked!

I'm equally bad at selling people stuff.

• I'm probably on the "Oh, well, okay..." spectrum of things.

• very bad, i leave that to the person accompanying me. i don't value money that much so i just hand over the first price unless im feeling manipulated.

• I never did that. And I don't want to try because I know I would be terrible at it.

• pretty bad. i never even try to lol. i leave that to my parents.

• We all gotta leave the nest and get our hands dirty some day eh?

• Suppose we are all adults with busy lives , sometimes we gotta make the most out of a bad situation eh?

Anyway , perhaps I am LOL , then again I'm a bit of a black sheep in my family
      BAAA BAAAAAaaa

• indeed we do :p

lmao. i'll join the chorus :)

• I'm lousy at haggling. Most times if I want something & I think the price is right I'll buy it. If I don't like the price I simply walk away.

• Vote A = When in "business mode"
    +
    Vote B = When too tired, with no time or patience.

• I scare shit out of people. I often get what I need (and want).

• You're going to have to be pretty intimidating to scare people who've been in the business for well over 50 years.

• I'm pretty good at it

• Still learning

What Guys Said 15

• I used to buy and sell cars so I got pretty good at it. I don't try to rip people off, but if I don't like the price I can bargain pretty well. I don't low-ball though. I don't try to get absolute bottom price. I try to get what it's worth to me whether that's the asking price, or half the asking price.

It's mostly about knowing prices and finding the deal in the first place. That's much easier than trying to bargain with someone who thinks what they have is worth far more than it really is. While you are busy bargaining with one person who probably won't budge, you could be out finding a good deal someplace else. It's not about finding that one great deal so much as the best use of your time, which may be several moderate deals.

• So what you're saying is we as the buyer should reach to an agreement with the seller.
      Know how much you're willing to pay , and bargain down to there.
      Respect the seller , don't low-ball it.
      A more sort of... diplomatic way of doing business then.

Any tips about how can I go about that? As in say... how to open the conversation.

• Well the question kind of stemmed from a motorcycle purchase I am going to make in about.. a month.
      So I just want to be better equipped before I walk in to the dealership.

So what you're saying is. Walk in with the bottom line in front , and if they don't accept it , just walk out and see if they soften up then?

• For something new like a motorcycle things will be a little different. For one thing they are professional bargainers. They know exactly how much the bike is worth. If you walk, they'll know how hard it will be to sell it to someone else.

For a new car (and I assume a motorcycle) you need to do the research and find out their cost and bottom dollar. With cars you can get that information from Consumer Reports (for a fee), but I'm not sure about motorcycles.

With dealers, you need to know what they are willing to sell it for ahead of time. Make them an offer and stick to it, or maybe be prepared to increase SLIGHTLY above that. Also be prepared to listen to a bunch of BS. Make sure the price is the total price, out the door, including all the hidden fees, taxes, etc.

They may try to sell you a bunch of extras and make it sound like a bargain.

Have a second or third dealer in mind. Play them against each other. Don't lie about other offers because they'll know if it's real.

• I tend to get anxious in social situations, especially with people I don't know, so I don't think I'd be very good at haggling.

Also it usually comes down to whoever cares the least about what the other person is offering, wins. So if I want what they have more than they want what I have then I'm fucked from the start.

• Depends on the item I suppose and whether I care about it enough to actually want to haggle. But when it comes to older or classic cars I learned from the best, and the same concepts used in that can be used to haggle other items. And I can very easily haggle someone down, really to be a good negotiator/haggler all you need to do is pay attention to the details, ask the right questions, use the right words at the right time and know your stuff and stick to your guns so to speak.

• Don't know if i'm amazing or absolute crap at it. I have a price for something and we don't reach it, i'll happily walk out and and shop around until I do. Especially for things like cars where i have a shortlist of ones that i'd equally accept.

• I'm good at manipulating people, so I'm pretty good at negotiating and all that stuff.

• honestly I don't really have experience with it... but going by my feeling I think I'm quite good at it.

• Why did you have to post Olivia Wilde pic.. Now I can't stop looking :/

A good rule while negotiating is , start with half the price and settle at around 60-80% original price.

• She's alright I guess.
      Half price? Now that's just insultingly low lol
      Ever worked for you?

• Half? :p
      When I went to china I divided everything by 10 xD
      She says a 100 I say 10 😂
      Then she s like crazy woman, crazy. Then I leave and she ll follow me. Like a boss 😎

• @archiz Chinese people hate when negotiated xD

• I don't think I would haggle. They have a set price. I think I should respect that.

• LOL
      If you walk in like that , the dealership would be laughing all the way to the bank.

• They can laugh. I won't walk in if I don't have the money.

Who am I to change the price just because I'm the only buyer?

• Who are you to change the price?
      The one holding the dollar dollar bills yo!

• craigslist haggling =D

• rule number 1 alwasy bargin from a position of strength :P

• I've been selling on Ebay so yes I have to price competitively in order for the items to sell.

• haggling is stupid for many many reason.

• I rarely perform transactions where I need to. When I do need to I never fail to get my desired price. I prefer bidding though and open forums for trade rather than secret transactions.

• I'm pretty good. last week I talked this hooker down from $70 to $60.

• If the motorcycle costs 10k ilI think I'd get out paying 11k :-(