Can they force you into a mental hospital if you're not underage?

I think my family's trying to do that to me. It's not the first time I hear them talking about it but I think this time it's more serious. If they wanna get rid of me so badly then fuck them. I'll move out but I need to know if they can force into one of those things.

I know the law is different depenting on where you live but I can't give away my location so just give me a general answer. I'm freaking out, please.

I kind of moved out today

Most Helpful Girl

• Involuntary commitment is much harder to do once you are a legal adult. This serious procedure varies from state to state, but in general, involuntary commitments are either judicial or emergency and require input from a doctor, therapist, and/or the court. Often, after a suicide attempt, temporary commitment is mandatory.
    Every person has the right to the least restrictive treatment, which isn’t always the most beneficial treatment.
    Here is a link you can use to look up specifics and what is required on civil/judicial commitment by state: www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/.../know-the-laws-in-your-state

But, I think as long as you haven't abused drugs or tried to commit suicide, chances are that you would be just fine.

• I got commited some months ago but a few days but then I got out. Will having "history" make it easier? I don't live in the US but thanks for that link!

• I hope things are better for you now

• Thanks, they are. And good for you! :-) I hope things get better for you too.

Thanks for MHO.

What Guys Said 13

• they can't force you into a mental hospital, even if you were underaged, without legitimate reason (meaning you are a danger to yourself or others, with a doctor confirming belief it is due to a mental health condition).

The most they can do it put you in for evaluation, which is 72 hours I think. Or less.

And, again, that is underage.
    If you are not underage, they really can not do that. They can try, but if there is no reason to believe you are a danger to yourself or others, they can not admit you, legally. It would be depriving you your freedom.

• And if they had "good reasons" is there anything I could do?

• best of luck. I hope you don't have to use my advice.

• In general, you need a court order to actually put in prison or mental hospital against their will.

Technically, you need to have your rights to be free taken away from you before you can be legally kept in an institution against your will. The only institution that can legally take away your rights is the court.

Police can detain you for up to 72 hours in a cell or hospital. They are obligated to release you if they do not have enough reason to keep you longer than an interview. A report from you family might not be sufficient to keep you but several from your neighbors and workers might.

If you believe you family is trying to harm you then you must seek help. If you can find a place to stay then do so but do not be alone. You will need a friend or two. Should the police picked you up because your family report you then you may sue them for harassment or something and make them pay the legal costs.

If you are not sure, ask for a lawyer.

• The answer to your question would be yes, 'they' can.
    Laws differ from one jurisdiction to another, but it is universal that police and/or doctors can detain someone against their will if they have reason to believe that the person is insane.
    Your family can make a call to police, which will set the wheels in motion.
    Where I live, any cop of the rank of sergeant or above can detain someone, against their will, in a psychiatric institution for 48 hours so that their mental health can be evaluated. If the psychiatrists determine that there is a problem that requires in-patient care, then there they stay.
    Perhaps it would be good for everyone concerned if you volunteered for a mental health assessment.
    If you have a problem, you will receive help.
    If there is not a problem, you family will have an expert opinion to that effect.

• That sounds terrifying. I hope mental hospitals where you live are better than the ones we have here. Thanks

• I am not sure, don't know

• Yes you can Its called being baker acted and all you need is three signatures to have you committed and they at least hold you for 3 days

• In general you can only be hospitalized if you are believed to be a danger to yourself (suicide or inability to recognize danger such as crossing the street without looking) or others (homicidal or inability to refrain from doing things that endanger others).

• Same thing I asked the other person: Do you know if there's anything I can do? if I ran away and they somehow find me, could it make things worse?

• Whatever fuck off

• You have an anger problem. Perhaps you should be hospitalized.

• Unfortunately yes the hospital or your family can have the police take you in protective custody for your own safety.

• Thank you. Some people have said that and the idea of things getting so out of control the cops have to get involved terrifies me.

• Hopefully it won't come to that

• yes they can, but the worst part of mental "hospitals" is proving you are not insane. So once you get in , its really difficult to get out.

• If you are considered a threat to yourself or others, you can be committed for 72 hours observation in this state. Don't know about yours.

• Yes a judge can order it if you are a danger to others or self

• yes they can force you

What Girls Said 12

• Be honest with yourself.

Do you need help?
    Are their concerns justified?
    Have you done anything that has made them worried?

If you've answered yes to any of those questions (or, hell, even if you've answered no), sit down with your family and talk to them about it. Have an actual conversation about it.

I can almost guarantee you that they do not want to "get rid of you". They want to HELP you! They want you to be the best that you can be, and if you are exhibiting scary or dangerous behavior (like self-harm, suicide threats, etc.) they are trying to do what's best for you.

Have an actual conversation with them before you decide to run away.
    If they are willing to pay for your help, I suggest you do that before you make any major mistakes and burn bridges you cannot rebuild. Your life is valuable, and if they say that you need to get help, you need to do some inner reflection and see if it would help you.

If you are not an immediate threat, you should talk to them instead about therapy and see if they will help you get involved in that.

• I already see a psych once a week, which is why I know they're just trying to get rid of me. If it was because "i need help" they would be happy with me seeing her.

• You just described literally everything that's wrong with me but I'll try. Thank you.

• You really should try.
      As soon as possible you should write it all down. Even if you don't give it to them. Have time for some deep reflection on yourself and what you want out of life.

• Yes, you can be sectioned if doctors think you're a danger to yourself or to others.

• Yeah, if they have good reason to believe you pose a danger to yourself or others, they could have you committed and held for a few days. Not long term tho. It'd have to be a psychiatric professional who'd determine you needed to be held long term.

• No because you're a legal adult now and they can't really force you to do anything anymore. Unless you go on a psychotic rampage.

• What do you mean by psychotic rampage?

• Do they think you're going to murder them or hurt yourself? If you're perfectly fine I would straight talk to them about it and say they are being horrible people for doing this without a good reason.

• Probably both

• If they consider you a threat to yourself or to someone else, yes they can hospitalize you against your will.

• Yes if your are a danger to yourself or others absolutely. I'm not sure if they can if you don't meet that criteria.

• Yes, if you were a danger to yourself or others

• They are your legal guardians so yes, they can.

• I'm not underage tho

• Horrible. I had to take a leave of absence from work (I'm a teacher) and my medication isn't working. My boyfriend isn't helping and I'm struggling with body image right now. My anger is getting worse and I'm having trouble controlling my urges to react to everything. Everything and everyone pisses me off. But my parents are going to take me to Gatlinburg in a couple weeks to see if a change of scenery will help. I'll admit, having my own dog is very helpful. No one knew I was bi-polar until I tried to kill myself in college when I was 20 years old. I went my entire life with no help until now. But all I can do is pray that it'll get better.

• I'm so sorry :( I hope things get better soon. Even though we have different things, I feel like bipolar and bpd are similar in some aspects so I kind of relate to some things you said.

• In my country you would have to be a danger to yourself or others.

• I'm not sure

• Yes they can

• If they fear you are suicidal then yes you can be involuntarily committed.

• Do you know if there's anything I can do? if I ran away and they somehow find me, could it make things worse?

• Thanks. fuck

• No problem