Why do social justice warriors (SJW) refer to black people as person of color and not just black person and why do they find it offensive?

Why do they find it offensive when you refer to their skin color to what it is which is black or brown

• They're hiding their true feeling's of how they feel about them
  • They just wanna seem more open minded and they think by doing this it will make them seem like a nice person infront of others
  • What are you talking about you should call them person of color its offensive towards them calling them black or brown
  • They just wanna enforce their belief's onto anybody elses and anyone who doesn't agree with them is "stupid and terrible person"

Most Helpful Girl

• From what I understand, the term 'people of colour' isn't just used exclusively for black people. It's usually used to refer to anyone not white, so if it's racism that affects more than one group, rather than listing the groups constantly, I think it's just easier for them to say people of colour throughout? I dunno, I think when things are specifically about black people, they tend to just use the term black people.

• That's stupid though and that's secretly racist in its self according to their logic since when they say person of color in a way its like saying that labeling their actual color is a stigma meaning it would be bad. Like the term slut is offensive but saying someone who likes to have a "good time" is not bad or the term drug had a stigma but medicine doesn't.

• Yea but then why do they get offended when you say a person's actual color instead of person of color? And its funny its usually the white people who got offended the most by it lol.

• Meh, from what I've seen, I don't think they do, but I dunno.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't get it. They used to call black people "coloured", but eventually that was viewed as racist so they stopped that and started calling them black. Now all. of a sudden they're "people of colour". How is that different to calling them coloured? Can people make up their minds?

What Girls Said 5

• Well i'm not literally black so there's that 😂

but on a serious note, "People of color" just means anyone who isn't white. Grouping all minorities (in any white-majority country) in one word. When refering to a specific group, then we use Latino, Asian, Black, Indiginous, Polynesian, etc.. I don't know who gets offended when refered to as black. Maybe I'm missing something because I'm black and live around mostly black people, and I've never seen anyone complain about being called black. We acknowldge our blackness 😕

As far as "black people" goes, maybe the context matters I don't know because i'm not offended by it for the most part. "Blacks" on the other hand, tends to be used by people coming from a negative/narrow mind: "Blacks just love to live off welfare" "Blacks just love to whine" "Blacks have the lowest IQs on the planet" stuff like that. They are coming from a place where they yearn for excuses to disrespect us and put us down.

• Its white people who get offended lol.

• Waaa... where are you getting this from? Is there like a videos or article about this? I just can't believe this is real.. it's confusing

• Yeah pretty sure I'll send you one tomorrow its 2:00 clock in morning right now here its really late.

• I'm queen SJW and I call them black people.

• They are secretly racist themselves. :D

• Check again; no one is black. Some people just have dark skin.

• I said brown also check again and learn how to read you easily offended person.

• POC is inclusive of everyone who isn't white; ie. everyone not benefiting from white privilege. If you're talking about someone specific or the issues of a specific race then yeah you'd say their race, but talking about people societally disadvantaged by their race in general POC is better because it's a term that includes more people

• Ok then that logic would only apply in white dominated countries right? Like you shouldn't say that in African countries since its the blacks who have power over the whites in that country when a white person is a native in an African country.

• You should use capitals for respect; Black person rather than 'black person'. And talk about people as people rather than 'blacks', like how it's rude to call people 'gays'. It's just a part of their identity. I don't think people get that offended.. Just POC is more inclusive, that's all; like, there are POC who don't identify as Black but also experience racism

• Stop changing the subject like you're going so off tangent here. Its not offensive that's what they are I mean you wouldn't get offended if someone called you white and people call others white or Asian who are Asian and they don't get offended.

What Guys Said 13

• Considering there's this movement called "Black Lives Matter", I highly doubt they find offensive being called black. BUT, we're talking about SJW here's, everything that comes from a white person, especially male and straight, is offensive xD
    SJW are the ones finding "black" offensive, cause SJW tend to believe they speak on behalf of everyone else, especially minorities.
    Most black people don't care if they're called black, after all, that's their race.

• They want to seem progressive and understanding by putting the 'person' part ahead of all other adjectives. What they seem to forget is referring to people as being 'coloured' suggests that white is the norm and also that 'coloured' is an extremely archaic and offensive term.

• They are trying to lump East Asians / Orientals and Latinos / Hispanics in with them, never mind that those groups all too often have more anti-Black sentiment than White people ever did.

• I usually equate SJW's to being the lowest form of human trash.

• Why can't we just say human being? The reason is sjw's need division and strife between races, the sexes, religions, cultures, etc cuz they either feed off that or in some cases (Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, the democrat party) they need it to survive and/or make money and have power over a group of people. They don't want to help them, they need their group of choice to feel (either real or perceived) like they're down trodden. If they helped them, they lose their power over them. African Americans have been voting around 90% democrat for close to 40 years now. What have they done for them? They still believe (either real or perceived) they are in terrible shape. If they were going to help them and intended to help them, they would have by now. The truth is they don't want to help them. They need their votes. They survive off of division.

• They're retarded.

• "omg Peter you're smoking crack now? WHere'd you get that?"

"From Black... Hardware store"

• Because they're selfish hypocrites.

• People of is an ambiguous term that can be applied to anyone who isn't white so why social justice warriors apply the term to black people they are trying to make a situation concerning black people seem like its about everyone or everyone of a certain class instead of just blacks

• Are you heavily Irish-blooded, like me? Italian? Polish? Ukrainian? Were your ancestors Catholics living in heavily Protestant areas, or perhaps Huguenots who had to flee persecutory France?
    It’s funny how SJWs prance on about white privilege when over half of all whites who emigrated to America, Canada or Australia, from the Puritans to Yugoslavian Civil War refugees, came because the civilian government or monarchy representing another ethnicity or religion essentially chased them out, had killed their family members, or wanted them dead, too. Many of the white groups who did take the journey, particularly the Italians or Irish, were then subjected to quotas and mistreatment in places like New York for years.
    A great deal of my ancestors were Catholics in Prussia and other Protestant parts of northern Germany. This section of my family tree is replete with persecutions, including one great-great-great-great grandfather who lost sight in one eye and movement in his arm after being brutally assaulted by a Prussian policeman. His crime? Being an ethnic German leaving a Catholic church on Sunday in the 1800s. Catholic churches were only for “subhuman” Poles. Catholic Prussians were seen as traitors who belonged in Bavaria, prison, or dead. He ended up eking out an existence as a tailor with one good arm, after both he and his brother were repeatedly refused admission to the civil service for their faith.
    In addition, I had Irish immigrant forebears whose fathers, mothers, brothers, and sisters died as a result of the Potato Famine. One of these ancestors, the eldest child in his family, was working in Dublin to make money for the family when, in the space of three months, he received news that his parents, all his sisters, and all but one of his brothers had died from starvation, malnutrition, or diseases related to them.
    When my aunt did the genealogy over three years, she counted 37 family members in one corner of an Irish county who died from starvation or starvation-related illness in 13 months. The famine was predicted and even aggravated by the British. Considering the squalor into which the occupiers had driven the Irish Catholics, the whole ordeal was fundamentally caused by them, too. With only an extra mouth to feed, this great-great-great grandfather of mine took his barely school-aged brother with him to Australia two months later. What role did these two have in oppressing others, white or non-white, that I should feel shame about today?

• Look further back into my family tree and you find German, Dutch and Swiss Jews, many of whom were shunted around various locations within Europe, depending on what limited patience local authorities had for yarmulke-wearers at the time.

With this lineage, what exactly do I have to apologize for, aside from my supposedly very, very privileged, at best lower middle-class English forebears from drab West London and grim Yorkshire? Most of them never saw a dark person, let alone mistreated one. To boot, the vast majority lived poor, thankless lives without clean sanitation, abundant food, or anything close to job security. And these are the stations in life, through no fault of their own, that 95% of your ancestors reached as well.

• and Sunni Arabs inhabit the same country, they kill each other! Whilst it is appetizing for SJWs to blame the big, bad British and French for this, it is far from the truth. Kurds and Arabs have been butchering each other for countless centuries. The greatest Muslim figure of all the Crusades, Saladin, was consistently mistrusted because of his Kurdish origins. Similarly, intra-Arab or Arab-Iranian Sunni-Shia violence is age-old and has little if anything to do with Europeans.
      Last year, Rock Thompson wrote a superb piece about the hypocrisy of attacking Columbus Day in the Americas. His work exposed the double standards of many Native American and also Central and South American tribes, who pretend their ancestors were routinely peaceful when, in fact, they regularly engaged in deplorable acts of gratuitous violence, including human sacrifices and the sadistic mutilation of enemies who were not so ethnically different.

• The conquistadors and Puritans are falsely seen as the harbingers of cultural and racial genocide in the Americas. Local indigenous tribes, however, were already hunting each other down for sport well before the tall ships arrived.

• What's interesting to me is that person of colour is the basically same as coloured person. The latter is considered racist but apparently they can look at the former and not think it's entirely retrograde. They just don't see the connection, it's so strange.

If the racists of the past are white zebras with black stripes, then SJWs are black zebras with white stripes. How they don't see there similarity to past racism even when their language bears such resemblance is beyond me.

• As a black boy, it's funny seeing young SJW white people get offended by someone describing another person as black. And yet, I don't bitch about it lol