The Serbian Orthodox Church in NYC has been burnt down in fire. That is the church I used to go as a child. Have you heard about it. Thoughts?

So, guys, I don't know if you have heard knews, but Serbian Orthodox Church "St. Sava" here, in NYC, was lost in a huge fire. And the meaning of it is even deeper because today is day 2 of Orthodox Easter.
I am very sad because that is the church I first went to when I was a baby. I used to go there with my (abusive) family every Christmas, Easter and other religious holidays. Since I used to be a victim of domestic violence, that Church was the only light in my life at the time.

I owe so many great memories to that holly building. I know many people who used to go there. It gave me the inner peace that I didn't have within my family circle.

I am an Orthodox Christian, I guess, but I am not really religious anymore, I don't really live by the Bible, but I have enormous respect and grattitude towards the Church. I have liberated myself and cut all the strings connecting me to my dark past where I was a victim, I don't want to be limited by anything or anyone, but seeing those flames comming out of the windows was pretty hurtting.

It is important to mention that there have been 3 more cases of Orthodox Churches burning down on the very same day in other parts of the world. Coincidence? I don't think so. They were all ORTHODOX CHURCHES, THEY WERE ALL DESTROYED IN THE SAME WAY: BY BEING BURNED DOWN and THEY WERE ALL DESTROYED ON THE VERY SAME DAY: ORTHODOX Easter. Clearly SOMEBODY wants us to get a message.

Who is behind this? I don't know. But, people, can't we just stop with destruction and hating and war and enjoy PEACE and harmony? Can't we just respect all religions?

Tell me what do you think. What are your thoughts on it.

Most Helpful Guy

• If we have known who we are for 500 years of being slaves, our folks there will know it, too. If they care enough... And if they don't, at least YOU know who YOU are!

• Oh trust me,
      The citizens of new york from all religions and even those of none will be pissed off about this.
      If it was arson, then the arsonist doesn't have much time as a free man left

• @Waffles731 Nope, I don't give a fuck.

What Guys Said 12

• Probably Muslims but the media will suppress that.

• If it was in fact intentionally burned down then I have a theory as to who it was...

You have to realize, the political left has declared war on religion, burning down Churches is just the beginning.

• Pfftt. Get off it. The political left has not declared war on religion. The political left by definition believes in a secular society, free from the promulgation of one specific religious ideology. Secularism is the only way in which religious groups can live in peace. Without the left, the religious would be killing each other over their invisible sky daddy until the end of time.

• @MasterofPlebs Given the policies American liberals are trying to push they certainly are facists.

No, all those places are left-wing, very powerful central governments that give their people very little freedom, but tell their people that they are free.

Believe me, if what you are saying were true I would be very left-wing, but it is not true.

Anyway, I've spent enough time trying to educate you... Have a nice evening sir.

• It's entirely true. You're not educated, you're just swallowing the huge mass of propaganda you've been told. Which is what I expect.

• I consider it a crime.

• I don't really watch the news or anything so I hadn't heard about it but I think it's sick and disgusting that someone would burn down a place where people go to worship their God

• I don't respect the Orthodox Church, but I think that the Church is responsible for immense aesthetic contributions to humanity. I don't think you've lived a fulfilling life until you've seen an Orthodox service or heard Byzantine chant.

That being said, it is certainly the case that people are burning down Churches, but that has been going on for centuries. I don't think we'll stop with destruction, war, and hating.

• Why don't you respect the Orthodox Church? Do you know what they even stnd for?

• That was 12th century. People change. Should I start listing what the Catholic church did?

• No, I'm talking about the first 6 centuries of the Orthodox Church. Not the 12th century. I know what the Catholic Church did/does. That doesn't make the Orthodox Church suddenly good.

• There was the question on the news that this might have been arson... I was a beautiful church... I hate seeing things like this happen...

• As long as people weren't in there, I don't care. Houses of worship falling are a good thing for progress as a society.

• I'm sorry to here that.
    In Billerica MA its looking like we have a serial arsonist on our hands

• PEACE ✌

• I have never even heard of the church

• Never heard of any of the churches being burnt down

• @YummyLady You say my life is sad. After I say what I am going to say let's see if you still think my life is sad. I have friends and family that love and care about me as I love and care about them. They are here for me through the bad and good times as I am there for them through the bad and good times. I have a girlfriend who loves and cares about. I love and care about her. We are there for each other through the bad and good times. I have been on numerous family vacations with my family over the years. I have been on a few vacations with my girlfriend of whom lives with me. She is a wonderful cook and so am I. Growing up I was in sports from the age 4 until I was 19. I had no less than a 4.0gpa all through my schooling. I can play many instruments like different types of guitars, different types of electric guitars, drums, recorder, dulcimer, lute, different types of mandolins, sitar, bagpipe, etc. I know how to do woodwork, metal work, plumbing, electrical work, auto body

• auto mechanics etc. Me and my girlfriend live in a nuce house. I work and so does my girlfriend. She has a career. How sad is my life.

• I am a Serb and I can tell you the whole world hates Serbs and Orthodox Christians in general.

• No you are not.

• Are you saying fuck you to me? I'm agreeing with you, so I don't really get why that's a thing.

• @MasterofPlebs No, no, that's why I wrote it in separate messages. The "fuck you" is for the asker, cause she said she is ashamed she's Serbian.

• You were on a good church, its a pitty you lost your path. i dont think true spirituality is restricting. Sinning is the true bondage... .

• as for the message its clear. on the orthodox Easter, we'll burn the Church of Christ. of course it didn't happen to protestants or catholics but to the ancient faith... .

• I didn't loose my path. I just don't let anybody transform me into a religious whack-o.

• yeah kid. religion is a bad thing. one can be orthodox christian and not be religious though. the personal relationship i have with God is exactly that... personal. its noone's indoctrination... .

What Girls Said 7

• :( really sad. I actually work in the building right next door and from my window I can see the empty shell of the building. I wish I had had the chance to go inside and see it, from pictures it looks absolutely beautiful. If it is in fact a religiously driven crime I'd be so angry. Destroying these things do nothing but spew further pain and harm.

• It is nice to see sympathetic people. I haven't been there in a long time, but I remember that it was beautiful. It is like seeing the only light of my childhood being destroyed. Although, I know that they can never destroy the spirit of it and my love towards it, it is still sad because it is like a piece of homeland for all Serbian people here. Some of them have never even been in Serbia, so this was their only little piece of thei grandparent's land and religion. That Church helped them not forget their language and their roots.

You know, Serbian people have been under Turkish Empire for 500 years (14-19th century) and the ONLY thing that made them remember who they are, what their roots are and what their language is, is the Church. I am affraid that Serbian people in USA will forget it know... I mean, not me, but still... :( Where do you work, BTW?

• I'm sure there are plans to rebuild it, and sometimes tragedy makes people stronger, so always think positive. I work at 26th and Broadway

• I know, honey. We have heard it here. I just want to say that someone may destroy a building, but that person can never destroy the memories, the smiles, the hope, love, faith and your inner peace! Just be grateful for what that Church has helped you become and hang on to it and love your love towards it. You will never forget who you are.

And if other people will forget who they are, then they would do it WITH or WITHOUT the Church. God loves you! Stay strong!

• Tl;dr. Very sad. From what I've seen in the news, it was quite a long standing, historic and beautiful church. I'm sorry for all the parishioners loss.

• If the fire was intentional, people who started it deserve to burn in hell!

• I am sorry. But everything will be alright.

• sounds like places of worship r always getting burned down around ur parts

• I have not heard of this