What was it like to experience an earth quake the first time?

since i live in the central USA and have never experienced an earth quake. what was it like for those of you that had experienced it you first time?

Most Helpful Girl

• The first one I experienced was at a hotel in the alps in Switzerland but it wasn't very strong, only like a 3 on the richter magnitude scale and I was just a kid then so it was more exciting than anything else for me really.
    The second one was one night in Japan and that was like a 5-6, I got so scared that I woke my friend up but he only got annoyed and told me to go back to sleep! I guess people in Japan are just used to that.. but seriously the entire building had been shaking for at least half a minute and some alarms of cars on the street went off so I didn't sleep anymore for the rest of that night.

Most Helpful Guy

• I only clearly remember one, it was about three years ago.

I think it was this one: www.cbc.ca/.../...-in-ontario-and-quebec-1.1300440

You know when you're in a parked car and a truck or bus goes past? It felt like that - a little bit of a rocking motion that was over before I realised what it was.

Now, my parents, they were in Acapulco in the 70s for a big one and were convinced that their time had come.

What Girls Said 7

• It felt like the ground was waking up from its deep slumber. Our house was shaking but fortunately nothing broke. It happened on 2015 and I have experienced one here in a suburban area outside Manila. The focus wasn't in our area but it was in a nearby island instead but the impact can still be felt.

• I will never experience an earthquake in my country because my country is basically build on a piece of mud, so I have absolutely no idea. Maybe one time when I'm on vacation I will experience it, but probably not.

• I'm not sure why people are so scared of earth quakes... It's usually a little shake or a jolt and that's about it. I live on the San Andreas fault though so maybe I'm just used to them

• I grew up in SoCal in the 80s... It was more than just a little shake! :) we had rolling earthquakes that lasted 10 to 30 seconds (Northridge being the longest). The ground would undulate.

• @Anno_Domini I'm young so I haven't had anything too bad. I think the worse was a 5 or something close to that. All the ones I've been in are a large initial jolt and a shaking after. The more annoying part is when they're at night and you go through the "do I really have to get up and put pants on now"

• I live in New Jersey and I experienced an earthquake 5 years ago. At first it felt like a train was going by but then the sofa I was sitting on started to move forward a bit. My mom and I were so freaked out that we ran out of the house.

• I live in kansas although they've felt them up here from Oklahoma I personally haven't

• It was too bad... I come from ─░stanbul. I had it two times. One of them was tooo noisy. The second one is like that I was swinging with the whole building and I couldnt stop obviously. For two months, I felt that I was swininging...

• Very scary and thought that I will die. I live in Cali.

What Guys Said 15

• I have been in an earthquake and let me tell you it is a bit freaky. It really feels like the entire earth is shaking. The earthquake I was in we heard coming. When an earthquake happens you think gosh! How big is this going to be! I hope it will be ok.

• I've lived in California near San Francisco my whole life. You can always tell who are the natives and who are new here during an earthquake. I honestly can't tell you how I felt during my first quake cause I would have been a baby or toddler. For as long as I remember they have been more a curiosity than feeling like a threat. No big deal.

The people new here always freak out. People like me are like the woman in Independence Day who says something like "it's barely a 4 pointer, go back to sleep."

• I was living in the Philippines, and experienced one in the middle of the night, and this wasn't long after having watch the Exoricst, and I thought the devil was under my bed. I was 8 at the time. LOL

• I suppose that would depend on the severity of the quake. Most of them you can barely sure and you just notice things shaking or swaying, and maybe feel some slight unsteadiness under your feet.

Bigger ones you may have difficulty standing... I've never been at the epicenter of a big one. I was in LA for the Northridge quake and it was strong enough to wake me up.

• That's a good question. I live in Brazil and never experienced an earthquake either.

• You're like wtf is that? oh! OH!. Then you get pissed cause some of your electronics stop working if they were in use. Like hard drives.

• I've felt a couple but nothing severe. It feels a lot like a closely passing heavy transport train in my opinion. Woke me up in the middle of the night once before and I didn't realize what it actually happened until the next day at work when people were talking about an earthquake.

Tornado's are far more scary. I had one go through my neighborhood when I was a kid. It didn't directly hit my house but my neighbors across the street was almost completely gone- no one was killed fortunately.

• Each time it happened the first thing I thought was TF? Yo is this an earthquake? Yo this is totally an earthquake!! Then I ask whoever is around "Did you feel that?" My city sits on a fault line.

• There was an earthquake in Italy in 2012 I think, it was in the morning and a friend and I still were in bed in our hotel. I was awake (or let's call it conscious) already and felt some shaking back and forth for not more than 10 seconds. It was rather scary because we didn't really know what it was, we didn't quite suspect an earthquake to happen in Italy.

• I remember being under my desk at school, watching the ground undulate.

• I didn't know that was happening was an earthquake

• I've only felt small earthquakes so it's always a small shake not anything big

• Never experienced it

• It was odd but not scary.

• I live in Oklahoma where we use to never get Earthquakes. So my first time was really surprising. The first time I thought someone was trying to bash down my door as hard as they could, because I had nothing else to compare it with or to explain why my house was shaking. That really freaked me out. The second time it woke me up from being asleep, and I realized what it was right away, and just went back to sleep. I have never been in a big one, so I don't know what that would be like.