Do you find people with several years of formal education to be dull?

I know it sounds like a horrible thing to say because they've put in all that effort to get their MDs PhDs etc. but it's like the life has been taken out of them.

I don't blame them entirely.

All that schooling I would be very surprised if their mental state of mind was normal.

Most Helpful Guy

• usually you just percieve them as "dull" cause you can´t keep up. i mean sure you´d have to work hard for quite some time and it´s harder to let go and relax but you are certainly not dull, cause you´ve been educated.

• Much the opposite. I'm on the same playing field as they are since all these people have pursued undergrad degrees very similar to mine.

It's more of a question of realizing why someone is investing in something beyond the normal scope of most people.

90% of the time it isn't because education is so precious to them so much as it is the money or the status.

For example, someone who has a PhD in Finance, what kind of a person enjoys material that is that dry? I can understand someone who genuinely felt passionate about science wanting to be a doctor, but no one in their right mind is ever passionate about a subject that is entirely devoted on... wait for it... money.

• Actually you kind of do.

A lot of people who have PhDs end up as professors.

Anyways, my point has more to do with people who have a passion and decide to do more school versus people who don't have a passion and decide to do more school.

A lot of the time, I find that people who do have a passion about a certain field of subject have an extremely different attitude towards their education, their lifestyle and their approach towards various things.

For example, engineers (despite me having no real interest in what they do), they're actually really nice and polite in real life because their education is almost like a part of their personality. They really like it (not all, but some of them).

But there are TONNES of people in other fields who go into those fields to prove a point, it's hard to explain but if you get it you get it and if you don't no matter how much I try to explain it you just won't.

• seems just like a vague feeling you got from some people you met and now you generalize it vastly and tell people like me who don´t have that generalisation that they won´t get it anyway xD

in fact i think passion is the actual point here. if you have a passion for the things you do (doesn´t matter if we are talking about a person with a phd or a person who flips burgers at mc donalds), you seem less dull than a person who doesn´t.

Most Helpful Girl

• Tbh, I date many academics and am always in awe of them.

• I just don't feel that sense of 'awe'. A lot of them are achieving things for the sake of achieving things rather than actually stopping to think why they are achieving what they are.

• Hmm.

What fields were these people in usually?

• A total mixed bag = The "arts" + science + history + IT + finance.

What Guys Said 8

• I find your question to be dull. How many years of postgrad do you have?

From my calculations based on the dullness level of your question the answer is... damn that can't be right. No one is that old!

• Well I know you have had none and likely don't really know what you're talking about.

Sometimes I feel it's not the people it's the education system itself that's screwed up. There's got to be a way for people to work and do school at the same time for part-time programs so that these people aren't giving up several years of their life being shut out from the world and only doing school.

Those programs are coming into effect but they're still few and in-between. Probably with the emergence of technology it'll be more common for people to pursue more education but not at the cost of that being the only thing they do

• you can't even insult me properly lol

• Whatever it's a phone typo screw you. I have a life to get back to.

• I have experienced the same. Book-learning is in fact very dull. Its more memorising than actual learning. And as you said in the comments, there is a lack of passion as well in most cases.

The question here is if its due to the education or if higher education attracts more dull people. Probably a mix of both.

• Ken jeong is an MD, and he's hilarious lol

• See, there are some people that naturally feel inclined to pursue school and it adds to who they are as people rather than take away from it.

I respect people of the sort. The reality is education is needed in order to pursue most careers today.

However a lot of people pursue education mostly out of status more than anything else. If the same people were offered no money and no status for pursuing education they wouldn't do it.

Some people really do love medicine and feel they are pursuing something that they're interested in and are grateful for that.

Most people are not like that. Most people want to be that person, but they're simply not.

• Not at all. They are very intelligent, and can have much more interesting conversations than people who just sit in front of a TV all night.

• I'm in medical school right now and I understand what you're saying, but I'm not a dull person and neither is my personality. You are right about the workload though. I can't speak for any other programs or degrees, but the M. D. program is LOADED!!! I'm taking like 24 credits per semester and they're all ridiculously time consuming classes. I just really have a passion for it though.

• Hmm... i guess that make sense. When you spend a lot of time in formal education which basically you memorizing and regurgitating back out the answers on exam then it kind of would dull your creativity and ability to have an engaging conversation.

• passionate people are always interesting to talk to.

they're usually formally educated, and a professor educating others.

• This is precisely my point. They are not always passionate.

Don't even get me started on professors. A lot of them simply don't care. They care about their pay check I have no doubt in my mind, but they can't even care enough about students to make sure that exams are marked properly.

Sometimes when I speak to engineers, they are genuinely intriguing to talk to (same number of years of school as most people), because they actually like what they do. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I can't appreciate the fact that they do.

• i'm sure you've had one or two good professors.. those are the passionate people i'm talking about. they usually wind up at a university after a career in the field because they want to pass on their knowledge, and enlighten others that their field of study is beautiful. like any other pursuit, they ease up when motivation dies, and fall into a routine.

the obsessed ones, are still out in the field, constantly learning and contributing. if lucky, they'll head a class for a year before returning to the field.

as they say, if you can't do, you teach.

• school really has nothing to do w/ passion... many are formally educated because opportunity favors those w/ a degree. it's proof you were dedicated and capable of completing something.

a self learner really needs to be exceptionally ahead of the norm to generate interest. usually this path is fulfilled by a scientific contribution to the community.

• It's sad to see so many people institionalized. I'm glad I found something practical to do with my career and I focused on my work ethics and teamwork over school. Trust me, being an egg head will get you no where on the workforce.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't find that to be the case at all.

• Absolutely not. I find most well-educated people to be very interesting to talk to.

• Well.

You know the country I'm from, people put others who have pursued a formal education on a pedestal to the extent that they would still side with a hypothetical doctor who beats his wife at home thinking it's okay for him to do that because he's educated.

And what I started to realize after I passed a certain age is that a lot of people with formal education don't really pursue that education because of a love for that subject so much as it is the status and the money that comes with that education.

That's sort of what made me lose respect for quite a few people.

Now when I actually meet people who are passionate about what they do and have given up years of their life to practice it? Yeah I can respect those people and do find them to be interesting to talk to

• That is understandable.
      I am sure there are people on both sides of the fence here in the states. Those that have only pursued their chosen profession and further education for the money and those that choose it because it is what they are passionate about. I am only speaking of those that I know personally who are well-educated.

• I only know how fun people who are currently studying at uni are. Lots of sex and parties and drugs and booze and all combined with minds that can actually talk about interesting topics. Their studies, books, politics, the future...
    So yeah maybe you only know them in a work environment. Or we really do get boring later on, I hope not.