How do you deal with existencial questions when they come up?

Questions like the meaning of life, the after-death, the existence of God, the inner "you", the spiritual "you", that exists in all of us and we cultivate throughout life.

What do you tend to do? Ignore those questions? Think them through? Talk about it with someone else and get others insight? Maybe read about it? Or even write?

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, I love to read about philosophy and I've read quite a lot of Satre and also some Camus. Although Satre and Camus disagreed in some points, they both developed similar answers to these questions that I very much agree with. In short: there is no reason for our existence but it doesn't matter because this gives us the room and opportunity to make sense of it ourselves. Also - and this is one of my strongest opinions in this regard - their is beauty in our insignificance and lack of purpose.
    One of the things I find most annoying about religions is that they try to tell humans how incredibly important we are. That we're the crown of all creation and that we're so important that an all powerful god takes his time to listen to every single prayer every single day. LUCKILY, this is not true. We're not important. The universe doesn't give a shit about us. But that's not sad, it beautiful. Humility is something great and many people are not capable of feeling it. The understanding that we're all just part of nature means that we're a part of something much larger. We're only a tiny, tiny part of it but we're a part of it. We don't stand above it like christianity or islam wants to tell us, but right in the middle of it. When you take a walk through the forest on a spring afternoon and you see a pretty tree, you can think to yourself "in a way, I'm also a tree". Or a rock. Or a squirrel that scurries through the undergrowth. Or a deer, or a caterpillar or the soil you walk on. It's all there without a deeper reason or purpose but it's beautiful the way it is. Thinking about this makes me calm and happy. Another example would be the topic of death. Religious people just can't handle the idea of death because they think they're so incredibly important that it has to continue somehow... they feel insulted by the idea of dying like a rich person feels insulted when he/she gets thrown out of the VIP lounge. But the truth is that our death doesn't mean much. Sure, our friends and family members will be sad but eventually, we will all be forgotten and even the forgetting will be forgotten. All that will be left is the big circle of life, which we are all a part of. I give my life its own purpose and, at the same time, gladly accept that I'm not important, that I'm small and insignificant and that "the world doesn't owe us anything" as Mark Twain put it. I find this to be much more comforting than the idea of having been created for some special purpose.

• I agree and love your take on it! I feel as I'm a part of it all but that I am in no way more important than other species or things that exist and are, like I do. And by believing we are here without a purpose, we can actually make our own purpose and make it a dream, go from there, be great by our own standards, and not what a religion says should be our purpose or anything else for that matter. We're here, and that in itself is a miracle, life is a miracle. All life! We're here and maybe it's true, no special reason for our existence, but I do believe we ourselves have to make it special! To have a purpose in life that we believe to be good!
      As for death, I honestly believe in reincarnation. I don't believe it ends here, because your soul doesn't die with your body (at least that's how I see it). So I strongly believe in reincarnation!

• da Vinci a really awesome guy. But does it really matter? Even if, hypothetically, the Mona Lisa was painted by a different person, perhaps a completely unknown amateur, or even if the paining hypothetically, didn't have a created... why would it matter? Isn't it beautiful either way? I think this is how we should look at mother nature too.

• Absolutely. I like to think Nature made itself. What science tells us is such an amazement. A big bang, somehow life was created, tiny tiny life that grew as big as an ocean and everything which it holds! Believing God was the creator of it all makes it all seem little and absurd. Which it is not. It's powerful and enormous! And like you said in your metaphor, it's the work of art itself that should matter, even if nobody created it, even if it created itself.

Most Helpful Girl

• I usually think about it, talk about it with my sister and other times I read about it.
    But I always get to the conclusion that I shouldn't be thinking about these things, because I will never get the answer.

• Just because you won't get an answer, doesn't mean you should stop thinking about it! It should be an exciting thing to get to form many ideas, even if they end up not being true.

• Thank you for the MHO :)

• No problem! :)

What Guys Said 5

• When I was younger I read about and discussed these questions with my friends and teachers, but as I got older I realized that either these questions do not truly have answers, or we, as human beings, are too stupid to answer them.

As a result, I have come to feel that discussing these questions ad nauseum is a form of intellectual masturbation. It sort of feels good, but in the end it's a fruitless exercise.

• Ahahah I supposed you're right, but my mind just feels so excited debating those subjects!

• yup, this opinion sums up what I was gonna write...
      agree.

• @mikemx55 Ahahah we're all such smart people! :P

• Love to think about it... my dream is to be able to work on projects directly related with those stuff and make a living with them. Still not there.

I don't follow any religion/movments, i just follow what good science does and elaborate my thought from that point.

I can only marry a woman that also loses time with those things :p , so very relevant for me.

• I spend time working on my own theories.

• I love to do that also, but it always seems to me that I have a better time discussing it with someone who rivals me intellectually, to make things interesting!

• I don't just believe what a mainstream religion says either, however, much like you, I believe there is something beyond ourselves! And what some call God, some call something else. God is just a belief. It only exists if you believe it does!

• @Asker I mostly agree

• Oh I love talking about shit like this and I generally end up being right. Lol why do you ask?

• I ask because I recently read a book which the main focus was those same existencial questions and I was honestly so amazed at how another person thought about those things and how it contrasted or equaled my own opinions! And since then I've just been wanting to debate things so much!

• So what's it about? Is it like "confederacy of dunces"

• Never read that so I couldn't say!

• I've outgrown those questions. They are boring.

What Girls Said 0