Why is being Left-handed such a big deal to many?

I'm a lefty and I get the occasional shock of people seeing me write with my left hand. what's the big fuss about it? I'm human like everyone else.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm a lefty too and I think it's simply that there are not so many of us out there. It's a bit like with gay people. When straight people meet gay people, they often say stuff like "ah that's so cool!". I've always wondered what's so cool or special about being gay. It shouldn't really be something you have to compliment or be all excited about. In fact, I once met a lesbian girl at a party and when she told me that she is lesbian and I simply replied by "okay", she told me that she really likes my reaction. She said "a lot of people either say 'that's disgusting' or 'omg that's so cool/cute/etc.'. It shouldn't be either of them. I don't want people to get disgusted nor excited because I'm into women. It should be something that's just normal." I totally agree with that. Homosexuality should be something completely normal, as should being left-handed. But because only 5% of the world's population is gay and about the same number is left-handed, it's still a big thing to some people. Maybe like when you meet a black person for the first time. It shouldn't be something to make a fuss about but it still feels kinda cool to interact with a different ethnicity for the first time. At least that is how it felt for me when I met a black person for the first time.

What Girls Said 7

• Being left-handed makes you in the minority. It's not something people are used to seeing as much as right-handed folks. It really shouldn't be a big deal, though.

• Oh really?
    I'm left handed as well and I haven't noticed anybody being shocked or surprised by that yet..

• I think it's just cause there aren't many of us
    My parents have birth to 3 lefties and 1 righty so I think it's genetic too lol

• It doesn't shock me at all. I'm just curious about left-handed people because it's rare to find one.
    Maybe people get shocked because it's different, they're not used to it.

• its very common and not a big deal at all

• I don't know maybe because only so many people are left handed? I get what you mean though. When people see me writing (I'm a lefty) they'll look at my hand as if it were some kind of museum artifact. Its so weird!

• who knows. happens to me too.

What Guys Said 5

• It's not a big deal. It's just very noticeable because there are not many that write with their left hand. That's all. It doesn't make you weird or non-human. I'm a lefty in ice hockey. No one cares.

• I'm left handed aswell. I guess it's just unusual. We do live in a right handed world, meaning most of the population are right handed.

• Because it's not extremely common. I don't get why they are shocked, however. Only about 10% of people worldwide are left-handed. Maybe because it is uncommon, less educated people might not know that there are people who write with their left hand.

• Nobody cares

• It's different that's all, and you also smudge your words writing with certain ink , and if a lefty sits on the right side of a righty eating you will be bumping each other's arms too