Should illegal immigrants have the same rights as Americans?

Should illegal immigrant that come to America fleeing oppression and or violence receive the same rights as citizens?

Most Helpful Girl

• I have a lot of foreign friends. Some are citizens, some are not. There are so many stories there where their whole families had flee absolutely dire circumstances, things one only thinks happen in nightmares, to get to this country. I could not with good conscious, if I had such power, turn them away for lack of a piece of paper. I understand there are rules and regulations and perhaps, why bother having them if people are going to break them, but we have all broken laws from time to time and the only difference is for many of them in their situations, or us in ours, is that we haven't been caught. If anything a pathway to citizenship should be given to those who are here frankly because their lives and the lives of their families depended on it. I truly feel that the only thing truly separating their illegal status and my American one, is for the most part, the luck of the draw.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• I think refugees should have the same rights as citizens, I do not think illegal immigrants should have the same rights.
    I hate to sound like trump here but if they can't manage to apply for a visa like any other person from that nation who wants to enter the country and then proceed to working in that country illegally without paying any tax and without contributing to the economy in any way they should be deported.

• in my opinion yeah because I didn't "earn" my rights, I did no work to become American. I was just born here. I'm American didn't earn shit, just given to me at birth, so why should they have to "earn" the same rights as me? I'm no expert and this immigrant stuff makes to me no sense legal or illegal. I can't grasp my head around why they have to go through all that trouble just to get what I got for free. The only thing that I understand should be checked is if they have a criminal history or some contagious disease. I feel like of they go through all that, we need to go through it too as citizens. I admit i'm ignorant af 😂

• everyone should have rights :/ if they do something illegal, deport them otherwise who cares am i right

What Guys Said 26

• No. That's why they call them illegal. Think of the hundreds and hundreds of millions of people in this world who live in places where there is oppression and violence. Can the U. S. take them all? Of course not. Every one of the so-called Unaccompanied Alien Minors (UACs) strolling across the border in these mass waves the last few years costs the American taxpayer approximately $17,000 per year. A good number of them have been members of MS-13, a notorious and brutal Salvadoran gang. (If you've never heard of MS-13 I encourage you to read up them. They make the Crips and the Bloods look like Boy Scouts.) So no. The U. S. has to have an immigration system based on laws and rules. We have the most generous freaking LEGAL immigration system in the world. We admit ONE MILLION people every year on Legal Permanent Resident visas (a/k/a "Green Cards"). They have a path to citizenship. In addition to that, we admit another 700,000 on various student, guest worker and other types of visas. (Including the notorious H1-B Visa, which is used by tech companies like Microsoft, Google, and others to displace American workers.) So a sane and rational nation can't extend the same rights and privileges that its citizens enjoy to foreign nationals who enter our country illegally. And another point not to be missed: Most of these UACs are being illegally smuggled into the U. S. They (or their parents or other family members) pay the smugglers to get them in. These smuggling rings are aligned oftentimes with the Mexican drug cartels, and are among the most brutal people on the planet. They chop people's heads off like ISIS does. Our asylum laws weren't meant to facilitate human smuggling. One of the worst mistakes you can make when it comes to immigration policy is to reward illegal behavior. So no, illegal aliens should most certainly not have the same rights and privileges as American citizens or legal immigrants.

• Should we deport anyone who commits any crime?

• Even if they are legal citizens?

• Think of it this way: A country chooses its immigrants. If a country has a set of immigration laws like the U. S. does, and a governmental apparatus for administering them, it picks and chooses whom to admit into the country. The criteria for admissability are spelled out in the immigration laws themselves. Among those criteria are good moral character and a background that is free of criminal activity. That makes sense. So if you have immigrants in the U. S. committing crimes, somebody somewhere along the line didn't do their jobs very well because that immigrant was let into the country. Why would a country want to invite newcomers into its midst who are going to commit crimes? It doesn't make sense. A sane and rational country wouldn't do that to itself. So yes, foreign nationals who are present in the U. S. who commit crimes should be deported.

• They give up most right as soon as they enter the country illegally. If they are fleeing oppression or something like that they can apply for asylum. That's legal though. If they apply for asylum then they are going about it legally and therefore are not illegal as long as they are being processed.

But even if they are granted asylum, they still don't have the same rights as citizens. An asylee and citizen are two different things. If they are treated exactly alike, then why even have such a thing as citizenship?

• No they shouldn't you come here legally the right way or you don't come at all but they will not break into our country illegally and get the same treatment or better treatment then actual citizens and legal citizens who actually went through the process and earned their rights and their right to be here.

It's a spit in the face to the people who actually took their time and went about it the right way and it's a slap to the face to the process itself. You don't break the law and get rewared for it.

• But our constitution is based natural God given rights. So you're saying that the illegal immigrants are less than human? And what about Americans that murder shouldn't they be stripped of citizenship

• i don't think they should have the same rights but i think we need to make a feasible pathway to citizenship so that illegal immigrants can become legal and thus be granted all the same rights and privileges as legal immigrants... also so we make sure that all working immigrants are paying taxes and even more important we are counting the correct number of heads at census time

• Oppression: " prolonged cruel or unjust treatment or control."

If you call living in a country that is safer, offers more job opportunities; And working for money that often times gets sent back home to their families "oppression"... they could be doing worse. Especially how many illegal immigrants also mooch off the welfare system. So not even all of them are coming to work.

No, they are not oppressed and no they should not have the same legal entitlements that legal American citizens have. There's the assumption that everyone plays by the rules. Why should the people not following the rules have the same benefits? Are you going to have them vote?

• Of course not. What the fuck? No way. Are you kidding me? Is this a serious question? Do you want illegals to be able to vote?
    No. Illegals didn't obey the law when they came here, the last thing they deserve is the same rights as legal citizens.

• HELL NO! Either come here legally, or don't come here at all. Illegal aliens use up the tax dollars that could have been used on veterans. I support Trump in building a wall and not allowing Syrian refugees in here because there are criminals and terrorists amidst them. (Not all of them are bad, but a lot of them are) They also take up jobs that could be given to the homeless. I am completely against this. 100%

• There's criminals and terrorist among us citizens already that point is valid. I'm talking about the God given rights the constitution is based on. They are universal and apply to all. Not giving an illegal immigrant right would mean we see them as less than human

• Well, I would so begrudgingly let them have their rights stated in the Bill of Rights.

• Let them free their own country rather than just come to the US. The US is being flooded like a life boat that will sink under the weight. The US citezens, especially the poor, will be worse off for it as the schools are flooded, jobs are scare yet more people looking at the same number of jobs, benefits are lower as more people need them and taxes and debt are going higher.

• No ones rights should be revoked because they didn't fill out a piece of paper. Anyone who advocates that are morally bankrupt.

• Absolutely not. Citizenship denotes responsibilities on the part of the person receiving the rights. And since illegal immigrants have no formal responsibilities to our nation, why should they receive our rights?

• no. they're illegal

• Maybe that should be up to the immigrants that came here legally lol.

• Human rights, of course. Legal rights and privileges of citizenship, no. If they are fleeing oppression or violence, there's a way to go about it.

• Yeah if you're able to wait a couple years

• That shit don't work unless you're already present inside the United states

• Which a port of entry counts as.

• No we need to take mexico and make it apart of the u. s and take all of there recource and revenue and make IG ours. And have strict strict law over there that resort in death or torture with drug cartel

• They should have the same rights as any person according to the UN Charter on the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

• no they shouldn't

• Aren't those rights universal?

• actually the government does have a say they control the taxes on everything why do you think every black dominated neighbor hood is a shit hole because the people put liquor stores and gun stores near em and doesn't help that a black man is being oppressed by officers even black officers oppress us i was almost arrested for defending my self from a bully who attacked me because i was gay i was almost arrested an he wasn't because i was black an he was white an he played the he attacked me card even though most the kids were there an they agreed with him

• Yes the government has grown out of control nowadays. Its gonna say beyond its intended purpose. And also the militarized police has gone too far. Racism still exist and is still a problem. And it becomes a bigger problem when you let the government control our lives and picks and chooses who and who doesn't deserve rights

• If you want to create a civil war, absolutely!

• you mean the ones who killed the native Americans, raped their women and slautered their children?

• No we have rules for a reason.

• Is that why a American citizen murders gets to still be a citizen while someone who just comes here illegally and commits no violent crimes gets deported?

• GOD gives rights not the government

• Nope. Deport them the fuck out. No pathway to citizenship of any of that nonsense, we have enough problems with poverty and unemployment to allow hordes of these guys to stay.

• to not allow*

• Not the SAME rights but they deserve some basic rights.

• No. They should be shipped home. We can't help everyone.

• No they should not. However they should have the same liberties.

• No because they are refugees. Countries around have regulations about that, for example they can't have job because theyre not citizens etc

• in a sense they're kind of like political asylum seekers

• wait sorry. i though refugee you said

• Yes of course the basic human rights and needs but rights such as owning a property or jobs straight away. Not so fast.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more