Do you enjoy the implicit popularity contest of GAG?

I was quietly thinking about this for but a flash second noting that if people only posted anonymously popularity rankings would change drastically. Popularity has always, and always will, play a major role in the way this website evolves alongside a major role in how the people of this website interact with one another which fascinates me because there is rarely any meaningful difference between two sets of advice but one person is simply acknowledged much more than the other regardless of order posted.

This specifically suggests that social capital is a very real currency on the internet no matter where you go but does it exist in a system in which anonymity is the norm?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• I love how mentally provoking this question is compared to what I usually come across lol. Social capital as everyone knows is definitely a currency, that's why people chase FB or IG likes and try and promote their posts and questions and whatnot. In regards to your question for this specific medium.. I believe in this case it still exists, but it is overshadowed by the desire to be hidden. A lot of these are really personal issues that people ask about and who don't want aired or tied to them for whatever reason, whether it be out of shame, embarrassment, or just an overall feeling of not wanting to be tied to the issues they're discussing. But even when posting anonymously, people want their posts to be seen and engaged with. Even if it's not tied to them publicly for everyone else to see, there's still a sense of validation when someone answers your question and the more comments and opinions you get the better you feel, like "yea I asked a good question" or "yea I'm glad people are recognizing me and think my problem is worthy of discussion." Just my quick thoughts on the matter.

What Girls Said 1

• Who cares it's just a website

What Guys Said 2

• Honestly, I can't distinguish the "popular" members from the pack.

• What popularity contest?