What's your opinion on Hollywood (Marvel studios) choosing a white woman to play a role that is supposed be an Asian man in Doctor Strange?

In the upcoming movie Doctor Strange later this year, a mentor in the movie who is supposed to be an Asian man in the comics is chosen by the filmmakers to be a white woman playing the role instead. What's your opinion on this? Do you approve of this? Do you find this racist? Do you find this to be a promotion of female empowerment? Or both?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it is likely racist and society gets butthurt over a lack of strong female leads so they caved.. overall it is a stupid thing to do

• Lack of strong female leads is one thing but using it to replace a character who is an Asian male is another. There's a much greater lack of Asian male leads in Hollywood. This could have been one but they chose a white woman instead.

• @langolier87 There are still dozens and dozens of more white male leads than black male leads. There are literally no Asian male leads in these movies. They messed up Mandarin when it came to casting one and now they messed up the Ancient One.

• I can understand the change of direction a bit with the casting for Ancient One. But what they did with the Mandarin... there was no excuse for that. They took something that was inherently offensive, and made it even more offensive by trying to "fix" it. The Mandarin was butchered, no doubt about that.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am surprised they went with a white person. The media seems hell bent on replacing white characters with minorities, guys with women, and straights with gays. I feel they need to leave the original characters alone, and if they want more diversity just create more characters, instead of changing the old ones. If he was written as an Asian man, then he should remain an Asian man.

You don't often hear Asian people complaining so you don't see as many characters being created as Asian as other groups. I promise you if the character had been written as a black man, there is no way a white person would have been cast. That is why Hollywood thought this was an opportunity to have yet another strong female character, and didn't think about the lack of Asian characters at all.

What is worse is that now this character will suck because strong female characters are so strong that they have no flaws. This makes their characters really boring. Compare that to a male character like Hancock played by Will Smith that had plenty of flaws, and was an interesting character. This is just a bunch of political correct nonsense that is ruining the quality of movies. This is false female empowerment. If these female characters were really empowered they would be just as flawed as their male counterparts.

What Girls Said 3

• Why does it matter?
    I really don't get the fuss. When they make Anime into movies in Japan or Korea they put Asian actors into caucasian roles all the time and nobody gives a damn.
    Furthermore I think Tilda Swinton is a brilliant actress.

• Because the character is an Asian male and also there are literally no Asian male lead in Hollywood. Anime into movies example you used is silly considering Japan is not a multicultural country but instead a Japanese country. Unlike Japan, USA doesn't belong to a specific race. If Doctor Strange were a European movie then that would be acceptable.

So what if Tilda Swinton is a brilliant actress? Should we choose a brilliant Asian male lead or even a brilliant black male lead to star as Wonder Woman by also changing it's gender? Would you be fine with Wonder Woman not being a woman but an Asian male or a black male instead?

• Uhh okay, butthurt Asian guy detected..

• Uhh okay, racist white female detected..

• Hey we had black Annie and that turned out pretty well. I love that actress.

• Is it an odd choice? Yeah.
    Is it racist? Most definitely not.

What Guys Said 18

• I wouldn't be so quick to try to project either race or feminism on this casting change as a motive. They simply think that they have an actress here who can achieve the feel they're going for with this movie much better than what we had in the comics. And they believe in that new direction so strongly, they don't care how many toes they have to step on.

I too find it weird that the Ancient One isn't an old Asian man. I saw the 2007 cartoon, and to me, that IS the Ancient One. This new entity is... a strange choice.

On the other hand, it is a movie called Doctor STRANGE. If it didn't screw with our perceptions, it wouldn't live up to its name very well, would it?

• The fact that any time a role is changed to white some people think we should scream "racism" immediately is retarded.

The fact that every time a role of a character with some power is given to a woman some people think this should be seen as some form of empowerment for all women is retarded.

It's a movie. If you think an action/Superhero flick should be seen as some broader form of social commentary, you're the problem. Because you suck the joy out of everything and look for reasons to be offended, or to spread something as The New Way Forward.

I care much more about whether the delivery provided is good enough to satisfy comics fans who might not approve of such a change, and whether people who do not know the character are able to enjoy what they see and find sense in it, going into the movie.

• Nah. You just don't want minority male leads in your movies. The only reason there are black male leads is because black people complain a lot about these sort of things. And people like you accuse those blacks of "pulling out the race card" or "complaining too much" when it comes to this. You people wanna dumb down the racism with "you suck the joy out of everything" because you want your movies to be as white washed as it can be.

• You are the one assigning motivation to people you don't know, making base assumptions about what their thought process and real desires and motives are, and then castigating an entire ethnicity because of it.
      This wasn't a question that invited alternate points of view, or tolerated answers and reasons that were not your own. It was a massive "gotcha" attempt, because you have made it clear there are two acceptable answers:
      1) agree with me
      or
      2) admit you are a bigot

You are the bigot. You are the one making assumptions. You are the one labeling. You are the one assigning reasons. And you are the one who assumes that it applies over a group in general.

You're an asshole.

• Hahahaha. Is this a joke? I find it cute how you said this "This wasn't a question that invited alternate points of view, or tolerated answers and reasons that were not your own." Amusing coming from a guy who said I was the problem and how I suck the joy out of everything for simply just asking this question. There are others who also said they don't care or find it a big deal but I didn't call all of them a bigot. Now did I you dumbass? Your bigoted nature is the reason why you were trying to dumb down the situation by attacking me instead in your original post. It was pretty clear how bigoted you were. Bigots nowadays are very subtle with their bigotry. Like you, they aren't "go back to Africa" type bigots but the type of bigots who will accuse the minority for bringing up possible racial injustices. Bigots like you will try to dumb down the topics of situations that could possibly be racist by attacking the topic starter and even calling them bigots instead. What a bigoted asshole.

• it's Hollywood, they do as they will, they'll always piss off half the audience when fucking around with shit lol.

ScarJo is playing an Asian main role, like what the fuck? really.

• lol everyone in the youtube comments was like.. "inception 2!"

• Haha. It does look a lot like Inception.

• I also noticed that. When I heard "trippier than that one scene from Ant-Man," I was hoping for something truly bizarre, not an Inception rehash.

• Whining faced bastards always moan about everything pertaining to white people. Hollywood are paying for the fucking thing they can hire who the hell they want. Let japan or somebody make it if they want Asians. Gays, lesbian feminists, blacks, Asians, fuckin indians and everybody in between. All they do is stick their noses into everything and whine about straight white men and the world they created and whine whine whine. Its a big world fuck off somewhere else and make movies and pump who you want to pump and pretend your men when your women and men can pretend theyre women when theyre men. Im fuckin sick of freaks in this world. Civilisation is in self destruct mode. We need the good old days back

• It was a simple question by me asking for an opinion. You're the one who's doing the whining in your long bigoted answer. It's not United States of White America by the way. It's not Europe either.

• Still a white country because of mass genocide. The only reason minorities leave is because many of their countries were destroyed by whites who came and stole a lot of their shit to better their own countries. But yeah, it's never a surprise to see a white racist. You must be a billions strong.

• Your a racist ffs. Are you blind? China are one of the worst violaters of human rights in the world. Theyve murdered millions in the past few decades. Theyre into organ harvesting and all sorts. Japan loved their execution of pow and dissidents, usually beheaded or set on fire they were. Asians have commited horrors in the past which make the our pioneers look like Sunday school choir boys. We did it in the name of progress. Your lot just love terror. A lea brain probably doesn't even know the word bias though do you?

• He's a fictional back-story character in a B-string superhero comic that comes from a made up country.

I really don't give the tiniest of shits.

His vague Asian-ness is inconsequential. Marvel can and does change the ethnicity and back story of their characters on a regular basis. They've made quite characters black and Hispanic, black characters white, and now made a man a woman.

These stories are not based on real people, or even on realistic people. They're based on sorcerers, mutants, monsters, and mad scientists. People fly, shoot lasers from their eyes, burst into flame, teleport, and come back from the dead.

It seriously doesn't matter.

• It's not really anything new, honestly. That's just Hollywood. They always mess up traditional fictional characters.

In terms of race, it's not really a big deal to me. It's just like that last Fantastic Four movie where Johnny Storm who is traditionally a blonde white guy was casted by a black dude. I guess if you have the talent regardless of your race, then I don't see a problem.

However, changing the gender of a traditional fictional superhero is another thing. I mean can you imagine how silly it would look to cast a man to play as let's say... Wonder Woman? (trigger warning) So I don't think it was necessary to change that traditional character's gender.

• Jesse Eisenburg played Lex Luthor (what the entire animated Superman[1990's-2000's])

Tom Cruise was the lead in "The last Samurai"

• Maybe because she's a better actress than any of the Asians that applied for the position and it has nothing to do with race at all. =/

• Actually ididnt know this. I think changing the characters genders is the stupidest thing tbh. Race changing itself is unneccessary, but gender changing? Come on!

• It's no worse than Thor now being a girl. I don't get why they seem frightened to write in parts for new strong female characters.

• Personally I feel she is a very good actress with quite a lot of talent plus theses in my view are just mainly adaptations of the main material comics and should be seen as such

• Just as long as the movie is good is all i care about.

• I don't like it. just stick to the material.

Stop try to push your agenda

• They made Nick Fury black, I don't see why this is surprising.

• Deadpool was better. And the bar banter was hotter. Inara ftw.

• Deadpool is great but Doctor Strange isn't out yet.

• Here's why they changed the character:

Movies are an international business and china is a huge market. The original Asian character was Tibetan and china doesn't officially recognize Tibet. Since that could prevent the film from airing in china, the changed the character's race/nationality. These are the facts, not speculation.

It's not racism, it's business.

• Yeah, I'd prefer they kept everyone how they were intended to be more or less. It's just weird that people are outraged by this yet are simultaneously outraged when someone like Michelle Rodriguez said what she said a year ago on superheroes.

My only exception would be anime honestly. None of them look Asian to and that would take me out of it. Just as a white guy would playing Muhammad Ali or something. lol

I think the biggest problem with Hollywood is that they cast the same people over and over again (and oh yeah, most of them made it as actors through nepotism anyway). I'd much rather see a mostly unknown person playing a character than them handing it to someone we've seen many times before. Actors should have a similar career span to that of athletes. Most are done within 5 years, really good ones last a decade give or take, and the greats can last a little longer than that. Anyway...

• Obviously not keeping with tradition , maybe its female empowerment

• Isn't that the same actress that was in the first Matrix movie way back?