Has religion made the world better or worse?

1|0
9|15

Most Helpful Girl

• so basically this is a question for atheists. because in my Christian opinion, there wouldn't even be a world without religion. thats like saying have our mothers being born made the world better or worse? you'd be stupid to say worse because how would you even be alive right now.

2|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, and i will give you 12 reasons

1. Chosen People –The term “Chosen People” typically refers to the Hebrew Bible and the ugly idea that God has given certain tribes a Promised Land (even though it is already occupied by other people).

2. Heretics – Heretics, kafir, or infidels (to use the medieval Catholic term) are not just outsiders, they are morally suspect

3. Holy War – If war can be holy, anything goes.

4. Blasphemy – Blasphemy is the notion that some ideas are inviolable, off limits to criticism, satire, debate, or even question.

5. Glorified suffering – Picture secret societies of monks flogging their own backs.

6. Genital mutilation – Primitive people have used scarification and other body modifications to define tribal membership for as long as history records.

7. Blood sacrifice – In the list of religion’s worst ideas, this is the only one that appears to be in its final stages.

8. Hell – Whether we are talking about Christianity, Islam or Buddhism, an afterlife filled with demons, monsters, and eternal torture was the worst suffering the Iron Age minds could conceive and medieval minds could elaborate.

9. Karma – Like hell, the concept of karma offers a selfish incentive for good behavior—it’ll come back at you later—but it has enormous costs.

10. Eternal Life – To our weary and unwashed ancestors, the idea of gem encrusted walls, streets of gold, the fountain of youth, or an eternity of angelic chorus (or sex with virgins) may have seemed like sheer bliss

11. Male Ownership of Female Fertility – The notion of women as brood mares or children as assets likely didn’t originate with religion, but the idea that women were created for this purpose,

12. Bibliolatry (aka Book Worship) – Preliterate people handed down their best guesses about gods and goodness by way of oral tradition, and they made objects of stone and wood, idols, to channel their devotion.

And the final reason. Religion has held us back scientifically and technologically nearly 1k years. Evidence of this can be seen in how the church treated Galileo, and the fact that they burned people for practicing chemistry and mathematics. It was against the church so it was ok. Or take the burning times when the church felt it was ok to kill millions because they were supposed to be witches. Or the Spanish inquisition.

Personally i distrust, dislike, and detest religion.

1|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• I think extreme religious people who are closed minded about the other religious options make things worse.

0|2
    0|0
  • both.

0|2
    0|0
  • Worse.

0|2
    0|0
  • I believe Christianity was a great thing in the west and made things better

0|1
    0|0
  • In my opinion, better.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not the religion making the world worse it's the extremist.

0|1
    0|0
  • Neither I don't think. People like to say it causes conflict, but people would have different values and find way justify violent conflict regardless

0|1
    0|0
  • Worse. If religion didn't excist at all there would most likely be less terrorism, no hate towards the gay/les community, no issues with womens rights and possibly less racism.

0|2
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• Not just religion but faith in general. This includes all kinds of esoteric believes, homeopathy and so forth. Obviously, institutionalized religions have caused huge harm in the world. Anyone who doesn't agree with this doesn't know anything about history (or current politics for that matter). But there's not just radical extremists and institutionalized religions. In my opinion, even moderate religiosity is a harm to the world and our society. Faith, by definition, is the belief in something without rational proof or explanation. People with faith believe stuff simply because "it feels good". In my opinion, we should be concerned with what is true, not what gives you the most warm, fuzzy feeling in your stomach. By being proud of their faith and spreading it (even if it's moderate in nature), religious people basically claim that it's cool and admirable to believe in stuff without having any good reason to do so. This harms true knowledge and puts a huge obstacle in the way of a scientific, rational understanding of how the world works. While moderate believers are certainly no murderers, the world would be much better off without religion. Perhaps the best example for this are the medieval times. Contrary to popular believe, the medieval times weren't an age of religious extremism. While some clerics were extremist in their religiosity, most normal peasants were simply ignorant and superstitious. And yet, it was this lack of interest in true knowledge and the easy acceptance of silly beliefs that made so much knowledge from antiquity disappear and get lost for over a millennium.

0|1
    0|0
  • Both, Stealing Native American land made the USA a better place on the whole even if it was cruel, inhuman, and deplorable. Church communities do a lot of good but as an atheist I don't feel welcome to take part in the communities that make up a large part of my city.

0|1
    0|0
  • Religion itself hasn't no, bad people who have abused it for their own personal gain yes.

0|2
    0|0
  • Overall, worse.

Religion was invented by humans as a way to control people through fear by claiming they have all the answers.

2|1
    0|0
  • Crusades? Holocaust? KKK? Islamic terrorism?

When religion is not followed correctly, it creates conflict.

0|1
    0|0
  • The people who follow religion as a guide to lead a peaceful and fulfilled life I have no issues with. The people who use it in the name of intolerance, war and hatred then you get where I'm going with this.

0|2
    0|0
  • worse

0|1
    0|0
  • Religion and the concept of theology is not to be blamed for the atrocious actions of the believers.

Also we'd still be in the dark ages if it wasn't for the Islamic Golden Age...

0|1
    0|0
  • a quick answer would be ''yes'' , however, a more closer look at history would show that it was suppose to be one religion to bring everyone together. sadly, due to greed, all these other religions exist.

0|1
    0|0
  • worse.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol, well that is the way an atheist woukd put it. Given that you don't beleive in God, is the world a better place for you knowing that every thought you have is simple a mix of chemicals to get you to love and join a society because you are a social animal whose species though is doomed to die out since even the universe will die out? Or is it better not knowing and going about your life like a common ant?

0|0
    0|0
  • Worse

0|1
    0|0
  • For the most part, religion has enforced the rules needed to allow the past societies to function. What is best for one society, may not be best for another. Likewise what is best for society, may not be good for the individual. Overall I would say that religion was a great tool, to get us to this point.

0|1
    0|0
  • The people who come to power over religions and used them as weapons have made the world worse. People who use their own interperetarion of religious texts to persecute others have made the world worse. Has there been good, yes there has. It seems though that more often than not it is used as a weapon for personal gain at the cost of peace and human life.

0|1
    0|0