How do you deal with the emptiness of life?

I honestly get so bored with life sometimes... I know it's a gift and there are times where I am gleeful and full of gratitude to be living (literally crying tears of joy, looking around in wonder), but they exist in between longer periods of emotionless, death-inducing boredom. Like everything seems so bleh. Careers all seem stupid. Food even turns to mush. Clothes are just pieces of fabric. Why be in a relationship? It seems like too much effort for nothing. What's the purpose of anything if the only purpose is what we give to it? I lose sight of the purpose quite often, and I find most things I do very empty unless I decide to buy into this fake reality everyone seems to be bustlin and hustlin about in, escaping from the truth of life. It all seems a bit crazy and I just get tired of it all. During these periods my social interactions take a nose dive as my anxiety soars. It's 3:30am and I cannot sleep. I don't even feel real.

Most Helpful Guy

• I can relate to you. Emptiness is not completely new to me. Everything goes boring eventually. People, such as those you thought were really your friends or that people you thought you can trust can lie, screw you over for their own best interest or personal gain, and then ditch you completely when you need their help or assistance. It just made me wonder why be blindly loyal and follow others in the first place.

Life comes with guaranteed pain, suffering and a death at the very end although I would hope death can be defeated through evolution and progression in various sciences such as bioengineering, nanotechnology, etc.

Boredom is Suffering. Boredom is what causes us to go find something to do in the first place even if it may not be the best or right things we do for ourselves or for others. Without boredom and suffering, all the so called pleasurable things in existence would probably have no actual value or meaning and yet we get bored or at least can become bored from things we had experienced over time and eventually.

Everyone and everything eventually will cease to exist, although I hope with scientific research and developments would eventually find some workarounds for it, at least for those that would consider it and want some form or way to continue to exist.

It's all very deep thinking. Makes me wonder what was the whole point of everything and anything other than that we either want it or think or feel everything and anything has any actual value or meaning.

As for careers are just you just work because you have to be able to support yourself and survive, being able to afford the rent or pay bills and feed yourself (or your family if you have one you need to feed), more often than not it's something really monotonous and repetitive and then to make matters worst you have difficult people you will have to face and deal with that you may not want to, and with the current economic climate and instability, you can lose your job from a company downsizing or layoff anytime unexpectedly.

What Guys Said 23

• There is no objective meaning to life. It's whatever you make of it.

This is exactly why things like religions come into existence. Most people embrace ignorance. They'd rather live in the Matrix and all the machinations of society instead of waking up to reality.

Once you start thinking critically and rationally about life, a sort of depression sets in. Then it's an endless parade of distractions until you die.

Which is how I deal with the emptiness of life. I interact with my friends and family when I can and bury myself in pointless games/shows/movies and try to read and learn new things everyday for no real particular reason beyond the idea that I might eventually stumble upon something that gives me more of a purpose.

• Thanks for your answer. I always hope I'll stumble into something too. If I do, it's a short-lived desire :/

• You fill it up. I know how you feel I've been in a slump the last 4 years. I need to make more friends but I also found as an introvert that I really enjoy reading, learning and getting more involved in my career. It pays of in the long run when people begin recognizing your expertise and you really start experiencing new things. It's hard to keep the momentum when a reward comes maybe a few times a month but the secret is to fill up your life.

• Boredom is your brains way of saying you are not growing spiritually and feeding your soul. Growth and contribution are the two best ways to overcome being bored.

• I will tell you of the ancients:

Very long ago man realized that
    The human form captures suffering
    And that expectations created
    Disgrace amongst individuals

And so in realizing the concept
    Of body, of subject and object
    The ancients cared not for
    The fleeting images that preoccupied
    The mind, instead they remained
    Unchanged, and began not to
    Emphasize on distress

Upon knowing, that competition
    Was amongst himself
    He chose not to complete
    He returned to the Source
    He took up it's qualities
    He acts without acting
    He accomplishes with no claim
    He lives without effort

This is the way of the Tao
    Of that which is eternal
    Of that which always occurs

• Holy shit. I feel those EXACT feelings. My jaw was on the ground while reading this because of how precisely you described my own feelings. I really don't know how to beat it though. I just try to stay motivated and keep a goal ahead of me so it distracts me.

• Well, I am glad I am not alone in the feeling (even if it sucks to feel that way 😕)

• You're not alone. Just try to keep yourself distracted by keeping a goal ahead of you (but within reach) and go after it

• Tell me about it. Anyway, how do I deal with it? Well, I just think it's exhilarating to continue to learn and experience the world around me. That's the only thing that makes me care about this pointless world, otherwise I do think life is pointless.

• Is it sad to say I have been feeling like this all my life? I don't understand it either, but I go on with a positive mindset and tell myself that there is more to life, just keep on going. I try my best to stay confident at all cost.

• Video games, a little booze, finding a few people to relate to, set goals and work towards them, learn as much as you can.

• I do not know about others but for me.. I always find something to do.. weather that includes working at say doing yard work, bike riding, playing a round of golf, dancing, going on a date with a lady friend, or even camping.. life is what you make it.. and in the big picture we are only here for so long.. no point in thinking about being down in the dumps.. it only causes stress in maybe an already stressful life.. none of us need that really

• Chocolate is the answer

• I either try to distract myself with something else or just let it consume me.

• Friendships and relationships

• "Why be in a relationship? It seems like too much effort for nothing."

i think this is part of your problem. The whole point of living is to enjoy the relationships you have with other people. It's not about having the best career, or the flashiest car or having the nicest clothes. People are the prize... but you're not willing to invest anything into it, so you're destined to keep viewing life the way you do, which is unfortunate.

• I've been continuously hurt by people and I'm just tired of it. Tired of trying. It's all the same over and over again, new faces

• except that it isn't really all the same all the time. You've allowed your past experiences to chain you to an existence that you do not wish to be in. I mean, you know this is true, as you can see many people out there who are living great, fun loving lives with the people in it. So you know deep down that what you just said is largely an excuse you've created to keep yourself from being hurt again... which is understandable. Just understand that if you choose to allow your past to dictate your future in this way, you'll always be unsatisfied.

• I can definitely relate. It's part of the reason why I have a small circle of friends I keep.

• Money and Lamborghini's and impregnating women or at least getting them to suck your cock

• Your life is empty because you have not filled it with things meaningful. Love is the key

• you get used to it, but i think what your feeling is may be depression

• Is everyone under the age of 24 an emo? It's going to be ok. Nothing happens unless you make it happen. This includes dating or finding friends

• Fill it with joy by doing unusual things

• Alcohol helps!

• figure out what is filling ur life with suck and cut it out

• If you stop thinking of life as a gift you'll stop feeling empty.

• For a long time I just killed my time watching TV or playing video games. It wasn't really fun, it just killed time. Now I like to learn new things, and expand my skills. I take pride in improving myself even if it is just in small ways.

I have found that the pride I get from doing things like baking my own bread, or watching my garden grow fills me with a pride and happiness I can't get anywhere else. I have heard that the Amish are among the happiest people in the country, and I suspect it is because they aren't taught to fill the voids in their life with material things. I don't think we need to become Amish, but I do think there is something we can learn from them.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 10

• I kinda wait for it to come and kill me!

• For me, lspending time outdoors and being around animals seems to help.

• You are exactly right. There is no purpose in life. People make up their own reasons or purposes for being so that they can move through life thinking that they are worth something. Shit happens. We try to make the most of it with food, clothes, relationships, etc.

• Time to find some new hobbies and interests. Meet some new people. Learn something new.

• It sounds like you could have depression or something

• existential crisis. Or depression relapse.

• Go on gag! 😘 Jk, good luck!

• life isn't empty, it's your perspective. stay out of your head.

• That's exactly how I feel when I'm on my period 😅
    Sometimes when I'm not I think like that tol but it's rare. Then I just think how my life is so boring and that nothing exciting ever happens, but trust me, soln that feeling will just go away and you'll be happy again. You just have to wair

• Life is a balance. We can't be happy all the time, we shouldn't be sad all the time. I believe everyone gets bored at some point. I think a lot of things are a facade. We only see a portion of what is reality. But I believe that boredom is necessary. I think it's necessary because without it, we wouldn't want to feel inspired or try to look for answers or try to be creative or learn. Like i said, it's just about balance.