How can people say that Jesus was just another good moral teacher?

Let me make it perfectly clear here that I am not an angry Bible-Thumper, I'm just genuinely confused. Anyway, I just don't see how anyone who says the sort of things abut themself that Jesus said ("The Father and I are one," "Nobody can reach heaven except through me," etc.) can just be another good moral teacher.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well the people who were interested in organizing a religion around the teachings of Jesus say that's what he said anyway. He never wrote anything down and the earliest accounts of his teachings can only be reliably dated to many years after he died. We also have no evidence the gospels were written by the people whose names they are ascribed to. There were lots of versions of Jesus teachings being passed around after he died and his cult began to grow, they don't all agree. They were mostly suppressed by the church after the Emperor Constantine made Christianity the state religion and wanted an orthodox version he could enforce conformity to. It's an interesting historical puzzle if only because the church has spent 1,700 years trying to rewrite what happened to fit the version it would like to be true.

What Girls Said 1

• Sounds like something just your modern day self obsessed douche bag would say...

• I am not that. Again, I'm just confused.

• No im saying this "The Father and I are one," "Nobody can reach heaven except through me," sounds like something a douche bag would say...

What Guys Said 2

• As CS Lewis said "Don't give me any nonsense about Jesus being a good moral teacher. He was either a lunatic on a level with the man who believes himself to be a poached egg, an habitual liar, or the Son of God as He claimed to be. There are no other options."

• Yeah. However, it's worth noting that Lewis's trilemma did not in fact originate with him. I actually seem to recall a crowd of people making those claims about him in response to a miracle he had done. I believe it was this that he responded with the famous "can stan cast out satan?" passage.

• I can't decide if you are confused because he said these things and they must be so, or he said these things and was crazy or lying so how can you still see him as a moral teacher lol

• I'm talking about the peope who say "I like Jesus, and i respect him as a moral teacher, but I don't think he was God." or something along those lines.

• I mean added after the life of Jesus. and interpretation wise, the originals are very very different form many English copies today. I know the difficulties of translating both languages and historic texts and I can say a text as old and as translated as that is pretty much long gone compared to the other. Word by word, maybe- but meaning is different.

• The entire Gospel of Luke was compiled from the accounts of the over 500 eywitnesses that Luke went out to interveiw.