Why are shelters allowed to put dogs to sleep?

0|0
5|16

Most Helpful Girl

• pretty sure the original owners provide consent. unless ur talking about strays, then the owners of the shelter are allowed because the dogs are officially under their care.
    not that i agree, just saying.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Because when you rely on charity to stay running, you have room to accommodate 20 dogs, and you have 50 dogs on hand, and only 5 staff members to help keep everything clean... you are running low on food because finances are limited, and you get a call saying someone's dog just had puppies and they need a place to turn in 4 of them?

Something has to give.

These places have limited space, limited finances, limited helpers, and more and more dogs come in all the time. They try to do the very best they can for each one, but sometimes, that simply is not possible.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Sometimes they're too full to look after all the animals or some animals are just too hurt to have any enjoyment in life.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they can't get them adopted and at some point it becomes cruel forcing them to live in a kennel for the rest of their lives.

0|0
    0|0
  • it's because it cost money and space for animals, and it's a really sad thing but it's also a reality check that life is temporary for all mammals

0|0
    0|0
  • Because it's more humane then starving them to death. They literally can't feed and shelter all of the strays they find, so they have to put some of them to sleep if they can't find homes for them.

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 15

• Because they have limited resources and they can't find homes for dogs and cats as quickly as necessary to maintain a no-kill policy.

0|1
    0|0
  • Sometimes they have to euthanize the animals because they are always filled to/beyond maximum capacity. Some animals are too handicapped physically/mentally to be adopted too, it's so sad. I volunteered at an animal shelter in Uni, there was this lab that was afraid of everyone from years of abuse, when she'd see a human she would just shake. So they had to put her away, it was HEART BREAKING

1|0
    0|0
    • That's fuckin stupid they shouldn't had to put her down the mother fuckers with the needle is pussy. Let me guess they didn't do shit to the cunts that abused her?

• Lots of times they are stray dogs that run away or are abandoned at the door step at the shelter overnight, so they don't know who the owners are.

• Many can't be found homes, also many are so injured that they won't recover. It's really sad but the over population of pets is often due to owner neglect and lack of spaying and neutering the pets they do own.

0|0
    0|0
  • Most shelters do not like having to put dogs down in some cases it is needed Dog to old obviously are not going to get adopted and they're going to die in the kennel anyway if the dog does not do get around people like attacks then yes or the animal has some sort of disease that is in curable and it's going to die anyway why haven't Suffer but most shelters do their best to find homes for the animals they have the animal shelter and Tacoma has a 95% success rate I volunteered there a few times so I don't know the entire situation for every kenneled there is out there but I know they do their best to find homes for the animals

0|0
    0|0
  • What else should they do with all those animals?

1|0
    0|0
  • Well, better than taking them out back and beating them to death with a plank of wood with tears in your eyes.

0|0
    0|0
  • One by me is no kill.

0|0
    0|0
  • Population control

0|0
    0|0
  • what else would they do with them? just have a lot of dogs forever?

0|0
    0|0
  • because shelters have bills too.

1|0
    0|0
  • Overcrowding

0|0
    0|0
  • Because what else are they supposed to do?

0|0
    0|0
  • Because dog is a dog is a dog.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because humans have no qualms about overbreeding them.

0|0
    0|0

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more