A Brit in America asks: Why do Americans love the British accent so much?

I am a British who has moved to America one week ago. Everywhere I go people comment on my accent and say they love my accent. Being a Brit in America I wanted to know why do Americans love the British accent so much?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's just unique so we love it here. Its especially helpful for British guys because they'll get WAY more attention from girls who would be totally out of their league in the UK but here they'll be able to pull. Doesn't work quite as well for British girls, but still a plus.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 17

• Well... one thing I can say, though. For me at least, a British accent is usually tougher to comprehend than an American accent. I'm neither American nor British, though.

• Non American accents are more exotic and interesting to Americans.

You have to remember nearly every other country is so used to the American accent through movies and television and other audio based media. The same can't be said here in the US.

• Californians certainly love it, not that I'm complaining! Gotta play a good flop when you get one. ✊

I think it's because they associate it with being dignified in general, the media certainly helps this.

• I think we like it because its different from what we usually get, that's why most people like accents in general.

Its kind of like eating out. I can make Chinese food at home, but when you eat out it tastes better and its usually a special occasion (to some extent). Your accent is different from most Americans and people like that its unique.

• I remember gettin' all the American hoes with my Glaswegian accent in Florida. 😎

Even though they had no fuckin' idea what I was saying.

• I don't know always sounded like shit to me and I'm British. I mean which British accent are you talking about because there's a thousand, typical sounds like a bellend, yorkshire sound like a bumpkin, scouse sounds mentally challenged I could go on.

• because it's different and sounds cool

• It sounds posh.

• Sounds credible and intelligent! lmao

• How did you migrate there? Was it through work?

• It's sexy! We also don't get to hear too many accents (depending on where in the US you are)

• I don't like it.

• It makes you stand out.

• It helps us to identify the red coats... If anything ever happens, we know who to shoot first.

• SAME! I'm from England and everytime I visit America I get complimented on my accent, don't get it

• I'm American and I hate it. Go watch the family guy episode lol that's how I feel about it

• Personally? Because it's different. It's not just the British one. I met a young lady from Guatemala recently and I'd be lying if I said her south of the border tone wasn't intriguing.

What Girls Said 10

• I wanted people to comment on my accent when I went to Texas for 2 weeks and nobody said anything! :( I was so disappointed. I have a thick northern accent though, not a prim and proper one.

• SEXY!

• I'm not an American, but I love the British accent, it's melodious and calm/peaceful. <3

• Sound like pompous pricks to me.

• @Josht11
      I don't know, I thought that I don't have an accent as well but then I got told that I sound Transylvanian, so maybe you just can't hear on yourself. :-?

• People can't tell where I come from though.

• Depends what part of Britain you're from. If you have the stereotypical posh accent I think they like it but if it's like a scouse accent or something they might not understand what you're saying.

• just remember you aren't in the UK so if you talk down to Americans they might beat your ass because i quote "We dont take shit from your kind around these parts" jkjk but seriously dont fuck with the wrong people here

• LOL your not in the UK either it always 'oy m8, I'll ring your fucking neck you call me a cunt again'

• because it sound funny/ridiculous.

• I couldn't tell you, i prefer others more so I've never understood it.

But it's still better than my boring accent. 😂

• Same... I had people compliment my Jamaican accent when I moved here also. They probably like accents I guess.
    by the way I have a Jamaican Standard English accent mostly. I speak Patois sometimes tho.

• I personally don't

• Well, I believe they like the accent because it's different.
    That's why they probably like yours.
    But it's nice that you are getting compliments, right?