Even though some Muslims are good people, Islam is a sexist and misogynistic religion. Do you agree?

I'm an ex Muslim and I feel strongly that Islam is sexist in many ways. I just want to see how many others feel the same way. Please, also mention why you feel that way.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I agree with that statement. However, so is christianity and judaism and possibly other large religions as well.
    I don't hold it against islam itself (or christianity or judaism) that they're sexist. These religions were created hundreds or thousands of years ago. Islam is the youngest major world religion and it came into existence around the 7th century. It's not surprising that people back then felt different about things and we should always try to look at such historical circumstances objectively.
    However, I do hold it against modern believers that they still follow these religions and religious doctrines. I don't have a problem with the koran or the bible being sexist but I do have a huge problem with 21st century people following these books and making up bullshit excuses why the sexism and racism and homophobia etc. is supposedly okay or why it's all "not a big deal" or "a matter of interpretation".

What Guys Said 26

• Islam is an ideology. Muslims are people.
    I do not hate Muslims. In fact, in my experience, many Muslims are not well informed what Islamic ideology actually calls for.
    There are many things that the man who is painted as the example all people should follow, Muhammad, did, and things that Allah endorses, that are simply barbaric in a way no other religion in this world tolerates today.
    I agree whole heartedly that there is an ugly, vile stain in the heart if Islam, and that it is a core part of Islam, and not some perverted teachings or views that came later.
    And I also agree whole heartedly that many Muslims are good people who just want to live their lives, and they should not be viewed too harshly, especially because many do not know some of the harsher aspects of their faith, and Muhammad's life.

• Islam is absolutely sexist and misogynistic. That's the whole idea behind the veil. That's the whole idea in Sharia of a woman's testimony not counting as much as a man's. It's reflected in the fact that women can't even freaking drive in Saudi Arabia, which is the home of Islam's most sacred site and the place of its origin. It's the reason there are "honor killings" of women, and that women's and girls' genitalia are mutilated. I could go on. . . .

• This isn't fair. Nowhere in the Quran or hadith does it say that women shouldn't drive or that girls should have their genitals mutilated. That's more culture than religion.

• The Bible did not give birth to the Church but rather the Church gave birth to the Bible. Similarly, the Quran did not give birth to Islam but Islam produced the Quran. So defining a religion solely by its holy text and not the followers who produced it nor the traditions surrounding it such as patristics, canons, and thinkers among other factors is a very overly simplistic and modern approach stemming from Protestantism.

• @TadCurious: That's exactly why it's partially culture based. In fact, the muslim world is the perfect example for this. When people hear "islam", they usually think of countries such as Saudi Arabia or Iran. In these countries, many of these crazy and barbaric things (women are not allowed to drive, cheating women get stoned to death etc.) are truly happening. However, the muslim world also consists of other countries. Take Indonesia - by far the most populated muslim country on the planet: there you don't have honor killings, women can drive, it doesn't allow sharia law etc.. The same goes for Turkey for instance (at least traditionally, Erdogan is currently trying to change this). Even countries such as Syria were actually very modern and liberal until 30 years ago or so.
      At the same time, female mutilation is practiced by christians in christian countries too. Ethiopia, Kenya and the Cent. Afr. Rp. would be such places. This shows that culture is indeed a big part of the equation.

• Humanity itself is patriarchal, gender binary, and hierarchical. The fact that this has been affirmed by virtually every culture across every part of the world at one point or another just bears witness to the fact that such things are rooted in nature. Nurture just reinforces that which is already there. The Abrahamic religions are at least honest enough to recognize this reality for what it is, and try to make sense out of it even if they fall short in many ways. That is a lot nobler and genuine to me than the petty atheist thinkers of the Enlightenment who with their "progressivism" completely ignore nature in the name of egalitarianism and in the process make things even worse. There will never be equality because men and women are not equal, at least not biologically and mentally. True equality is ontological, which is only possible in a metaphysical outlook that concedes the existence of God. Anything less Sartre dismisses as the folly of French reformism.

• Name religions that have never tried to put women under their thumb. Still today, women still can't be catholic priests. The only reason women aren't treated worse by the catholic church is because they have lost lots of ground and power. Eventually, in many years, islam will become what catholicism is today and another more sexist/barbaric religion will take over.

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that LeVeyen Satanism does not inflict any gender binary or male authority.

• Also Wicca.

• I was talking more about religions, not cults

• media.giphy.com/media/a5viI92PAF89q/giphy.gif
    I don't think it's sexist or misogynistic. And it's largely misunderstood.
    Islam teaches that men and women are equal in the eyes of God however there are different.

Why do you think it's sexist and misogynistic?

• In the scriptures it says that women are beneath men (their husbands, fathers and brothers).

• Id like you to explain if you can, I always like to know more.

The quote that I gave about menstruation implies that women are lesser in faith. The prophet is saying that because women are exempt from prayers during menstruation, this means that their faith is "defected" they cannot practice Islam to its full length in n the way that a man can practice his faith to its finality.

• It's very complicated, I can message you a full examination of the quote you chose.
      I advise you to do a bit of research on the quote before you use it. Make sure the sources are credible.

It is not implying that at all, you've simply misinterpreted it's meaning.
      I wonder, did you discover that quote by actually reading bukhari, or did you just find it on Google?

• Many religions are that way, Christianity, Judaism, And others. So I'd say they all are to some extent, but fro the most part it seems Islam is more so than others, although there is variation within each sect of Islam. Some are highly conservative while others are very liberal in terms of women.

• Islam is a barbaric dark ages political movement.

Some Muslims are good people though but even so hundreds of millions of them believe we should do things like live under sharia law, put gay people to death, kill anyone who leaves Islam, bring back slavery and beat women.

• Glad to hear that you was able to leave that sexist and violent religion, in one piece.

counterjihadnews.files.wordpress.com/.../...im.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZiJehMXBpQ

• All religions are sexist and misogynistic, Islam included.

• It's not a religion, it's not a ideology, it's a cult.

Women are treated like crap in Islamic countries, and even here in the UK there are many instances of female supression and oppression.

It's the most vile and violent cult that exists.

• yes it is. everybody who read the quran and is able to understand English, will know this. but the bible is misogynistic to some extend too.

• Its not a belief. Its a fact

• I don't know enough about it so don't know what to think because many agree with you but also many don't agree

• You should find the true way like you were before
    but you didn't live really like a muslim i guess, and
    we all have mistakes... but i hope we won't have anymore

• The true way is to reject religion.

• iyi geceler :)

• iyi geceler:)

• I agree.

• Good for you that you left Islam. May Allah forgive your parents. No need to preach against it now.

• Yes. All religions are sexist and misogynistic, so are all patriarchal cultures.

• Not all religions are patriarchal and misogynistic. Abrahamic religions (Christianity Islam and Judaism) are the most misogynistic.

• So you believe that Christ was a liar when He said that the gates of Hades would not prevail against the Church? Because anyone who advocates that the Church fell into error or that the testimony of its Saints and Councils was not guided by the Holy Spirit is anathema in my book. Christ would not allow his visible body on Earth to fall into error.

• @JRICHARDS1996 Feminism was entirely a secular movement based on Enlightenment values. The Enlightenment wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Christianity, true, but that's in-spite of Christian teachings and values which were opposed to things like the Enlightenment and hated scientific and natural inquiry. I believe there isn't enough evidence that demonstrates that Jesus Christ was a historical person, and there isn't enough evidence that demonstrates the existence of any deity. There were many early Christian sects that all claimed origin in the Apostles and early Christianity, the only reason why Orthodox Christianity won out was due to imperial power and councils like Nicea and Chalcedon which solidified Roman Orthodoxy through the power of the State.

• Christianity is also sexist and misogynistic. Most religions are...

• The reason, all of the surviving ones were created by men of a more primitive time...

• Certainly, but these female gods are usually subservient to an all powerful male god and often time embodied what the society at the time and place considered the role of a woman. It's definitely better than how Abrahamic religions tend to view women, but remains sexist. Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as trying to start a competition here, lol.

• "It's mostly just the Abrahamic religions that are sexist"

The heck? Are you even remotely familiar with the paganism of antiquity? They were notoriously misogynistic and sexist. The Egyptians for example used to bury women alive with their husbands and do not even get my started on the Norse and their war rape. Even Hinduism is incredibly hierarchic with clearly defined gender roles and a power structure. You just don't get that though however because Hinduism in the United States is mostly run by New Age white people who have really watered it down.

• Impossible to argue against this.
    Of course just look at the middle east and muslim world

• Muslims can go suck allah in hell. Oink oink 👳💦🐷

• Yes I completely agree.

• Duh...

• Not all Muslims are terrible people, the problem is that Muhammed was.

• Muslims are born of identical value to anyone else. It is the psychopathic ideology taught in the Medinan Suras and the culture that arose around it that renders it's followers psycopaths. There have been others.
    Naziism
    Communism
    Fascism
    Feminism
    Black Panthers
    SDS
    Black Lives Matter.
    Each is a mental illness that may be uncurable except by death.

• Yes I agree, Islam is a pretty terrible religion and has ruined many cultures in the Middle East [ Persia :-( ] and Africa, it's sad to think the West and Asia are next.

• Yes, i agree. I feel this way because of the way they some of them treat women in their culture. Recently there was a report about Muslim women who cannot be over 45 minutes away from a man. It's wrong.

What Girls Said 11

• I don't agree. Because I actually know my religion well and don't get my information from unreliable biased sources.

• I read the actual Quran. Is that a biased source?

• @MakeShiftThug Yeah, maybe get off your high horse someday little arrogant prick. You think you're cool with your disrespectful memes eh? You're just being childish.

• @BlueCoyote ohh an ad hominem!

• Its not necessarily Islam in itself but the shit that's written in the Quran and what people make out of that.
    There's plenty of sexist stuff in the Bible, too.

• Respect the Quran the way u respect the bible and don't say shit written in, there's only one God and it is his talking in both books by the way u didn't read any of them

• @Remembermyname4 just the way we ask people to respect Jesus and Christianity

• ok, thnx for ur opinion and I respect it

• I see that Islam is a moderate religion, so it prevents you from doing things which are harmful to your health such as alcohol, drugs, homosexuality and anal sex.
    Just think about it... every thing prevented by Islam is really harmful either to our health or to the society.

• You could say that about most religions.

• The quran is deeprooted in misogyny

• Yes, I agree. It's also a fascist and barbaric ideology.

• As a Muslim girl. I don't agree with you.
    Actually people think so bad about Muslims.

• People think bad things about Muslims because Islam is a bad religion.

• Nope it's not. You guys just dunno anything about it.

• Yeah, I agree. Can you message me, I would love to ask you a few questions?

• Well as a girl I think that if u ask the girl if u can touch it that's ok. But if u just go for it she gonna slap u... But That's just what I would do.

• Yes it is, but so are other religions. The only reason Christians aren't the same is that we slowly over the past few hundred years drug them kicking and screaming all the way into the 21st century. (Some of them continue to be stuck in the 1950s.) By comparison the Muslims are still clinging to the dark ages.

• Yes, I agree. They expect women to cover themselves up. Some Muslims might be good people but it's a dangerous religion considering what so many people do in the name of it.

• Men have to cover up too.
      The religion ( it's teachings ) are not dangerous.

It's just that people use the religion in bad ways.