Does a woman become a mother the moment she is pregnant or the moment the child is born?

I'm asking this question because a lot of women are pregnant on social media and getting the Happy Mother's Day shout outs. I personally don't care, I'm just curious as to see what others think about it. Personally, a woman is a mother when her child is born, because you can terminate a pregnancy. Being pregnant doesn't make one a mother just yet, especially depending on how far into the pregnancy she is.

Of course that doesn't mean that you HAVE to give birth to a child that you are caring for to be a Mother. A mother is anyone who cares for a child. Whether that be an aunt, God mother, foster mother or adoption mother. Being pregnant alone doesn't = mother.

*If you have a mother who is/was crappy. This is not a dumping ground for venting.

• A woman becomes a mother the moment she is pregnant
  • A woman becomes a mother the moment she gives birth
Happy Mothers Day to all of the mothers ❤️

Most Helpful Guy

• Personally Id say when she's pregnant. A women starts to care for herself and her baby the day she's pregnant. She is a mother now. Be unfair to take that title away from her just because her baby isn't born yet

But I think conventially its probably at birth for the most part

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe any woman who is pregnant and is thankful and happy about it is already a mother... A lot of women start to take care of a baby once they have the knowledge that they are pregnant... I feel thats what a lot of women don't get credit for. Especially if you're a woman who likes to have a drink or the occasional smoke and stop because u are carrying a baby... I think being a mother depends more on the mindset of the person carrying the baby... cause even after the child is born, that still doesn't make u a mother... best wishes love!!

If you're a mother Happy Mothers Day!!

What Guys Said 12

• I actually did not give a vote for this poll this time, because to me a woman becomes a mother when she shows she has maternal instincts, love, and true maternal nature.

Any woman can have a baby, but not any woman will be or can be a real mother.

• by definition and my own personal feeling you are mother once the child has been born

• Gives birth. When she's pregnant she's a mom to be

• She becomes a mother after years of devotion to a child. In the begging she's probably all thumbs just hoping she's not making too many mistakes.

• None of those options. I believe that a mother can take the role of mother when she follows through the responsibility of being a mother.

• when it is born

• "A mother is anyone who cares for a child."

Answered your own Q.

• so many girls are dumb and naive...

• the moment she is pregnant

• Never

• Child born. That said I feel being a mother is more about caring for someone's upbringing than giving birth.

• That is true. As I stated...

• I know. That's why I gave my other answer first. Consider it me agreeing with you on the other part :)

• Childbirth.

What Girls Said 21

• Women can be pregnant for a matter of weeks and lose the baby. They wouldn't be considered mothers. It's only when you have an actual child in your arms.

• I think she's a mother when she gives birth. To that point, the baby is a foetus and she's a mother to be or an expectant mother and I don't think that that's the same thing, y'know? But at the same time, I wouldn't really care if she got mother's day wishes, I just wouldn't want them when I was pregnant.

• I disagree, being a mother is more than just the physical ability to give birth and have a kid. Once a mother decides to mentally take on that responsibility to be a mother or not, she is a mother whether it is her biological kid or not

And yes I read all your details

• When she gives birth. Up until that point she is a mom to be. There is always a chance that she could lose the baby or if she chooses to have an abortion.

• When she gives birth.
    Why if the child dies or if she aborts accidentally? Is she still a mom?

• My official answer would happen once I get pregnant. I think it depends on the woman, in different cultures, religions, etc, it's really different.

Looking from both sides of the fence

Before birth
    -she's still making choices like a mom hopefully, no drinking, no doing stupid shit, saving money

After birth
    -not all pregnancies go full term or end in live births

• Technically when she gives birth, however it doesn't make a female any less of a mother when she's pregnant.

• Its when she is actually having to actively care for the child. Mothers day is another one of those stupid retail holidays. You should take the time to appreciate a mother without having a calendar day to remind you to do so

• I think you become a mother when you decide that you are involved in the pregnancy and bond with the baby

• She become the mother when she a mother!

• When she's pregnant she's a mother-to-be. When the child is born then she's a mother.

• I believe that a woman becomes a mother the moment that she becomes pregnant. She is carrying the child, and although she can't hold the child in her arms, that baby is still her child. What do we call those women who's babies die in the womb? They're mothers too.

• She's a mother when the baby is born, and I say this because there are many complications that can happen whilst the woman is pregnant, miscarriages etc.. so until then she is a mother-to-be.

• A woman becomes a mother when she not only gives birth, but keeps her child and raises it.
    Would you count someone who had an abortion or gave their child away as a mother?

• Well in my opinion the woman become mother before and after the child is born. because before the child is born the woman has to learn how to take care of herself before she can actually take care of the baby then becomes even more of a mother after the child is born be cause she has to now take care of the baby and herself and i really don't know anything about raising a baby but I've seen enough struggling mothers to know its not an easy job

• Well I believe life begins at conception so I would say she becomes a mother when she conceives

• The moment she starts to take care of the child and she makes that commitment for her whole life.

• I believe a woman is a mother once she is pregnant. Once she is pregnant, she begins to care for the child; even unborn. That is being a true mother because she cares for it every step of the way born or unborn.

• I would say when she is pregnant

• *Any wording to make the people who abort babies happy insert here*

• when she give birth cause the child can die without even been birth