Alternatives to self harm?

Im eighteen, and I have always needed a coping method to get by in life. I am a recovering alcoholic, and I have been selfharming since the age of eleven. I have tried many drugs in order to forget about my past and the hard life i have had. I have been in hospital three times for Overdosing and spent three months in an in-patient unit. My PTSD is at its peak and I can't seem to get away from the demons that haunt my mind. What alternatives do I have?

PS: I am grateful you've taken the time to read this and I hope, if you're facing a hard time, you get through it.. I wish you good luck in life :)

What Guys Said 3

• Maybe martial arts or working out.

• Thank you. I go jogging sometimes and find thats an okay solution, after the adrenaline wears off I go straight back to selfharm though...

• I am currently on sertraline and have been for about 18 months

• I really don't know anything about specific drugs. My point was just that if whatever you're currently doing doesn't seem to be working then try something different. So maybe try different therapists or look into different treatment options that your current therapist might be able to recommend.

• video games. you can take all your emotions out on the game instead of yourself.

• Im not really a video game fan, haha. Do video games help you? :)

• no i dont really have the problems you have. but i have a female friend that is bipolar and also used to cut herself she doesn't anymore she plays league for fun with me and friends

• What types of therapy have you tried in the past?

• Taking therapy, CBT

• Thank you so much! I will try your suggestions. The pencil thing sound great! :)

• No problem, just find that thing that releases the tension for you and you will be golden whether it is beating up a pillow with my face attached to it or learning how to play an instrument so you can turn your wild energy into focus.

What Girls Said 0