Changing my name, what do you think?

As I'll probably will be moving to the US, I think about changing my name. Not rigorously, just adjusting my current name.

Rick is my given name, and 'van den Brink' as a whole, is my full Dutch last name, in the US it isn't uncommon that the 'voorvoegsels' as we call the 'van' and 'den' in Dutch are incorporated into one whole name.

Of course I did my research and found the most usual ways to 'Americanize' my last name, here are some options. Which one do you the think is the best?

• Rick van den Brink (current)
  • Rick Van den Brink
  • Rick Vanden Brink
  • Rick VandenBrink
  • Rick Vandenbrink
  • Rick vandenBrink

Most Helpful Girl

• DON'T DO IT... my mom's side did that and I hate that move. It was French and now it's English sounding. It was prettier and more interesting the way it was. It's kinda like ur losing apart of ur heritage eventually. My dad's family made the smart move and didn't change their's once they got off the boat, it's German/French... and sounds way more complicated than yours lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly, I wouldn't change it. I'm all for integrating yourself as a foreigner but names should be left untouched in my opinion. It's your name and thus part of you and your identity. You shouldn't feel urged to change it just because some people might be too stupid to pronounce or write it correctly. My girlfriend comes from another country and sometimes she gets very insecure when people in my country are too stupid to say her name correctly. In these situations, I always tell her: "It's not your fault. Just tell them how it's pronounced correctly. You shouldn't feel insecure about it. It's your name and you've got the right to expect people to learn how to say it".

• Well, it's not really our family name. My grandfather was born to a Dutch mother and a British father, whose name is unknown to me. Later he took the over the last name of the second husband of his mom. So he nor I have an emotional connection with the name itself. Of course I love my Dutch heritage, but there's nothing to the name itself, I have been thinking to change it all the way, taking a English language last name, but hey I've still got some time to think about all of it...

What Girls Said 5

• just keep ur name man...

i mean you've still got all the same sounds with these other arrangements. the truth is, you can't americanise this name. just embrace the one you have. it sounds fine.

• I wouldn't ur gonna have lot of problems!

• Well when I'm in the US changing your name is just a quick fix, I mean it doesn't take longer than 10 minutes actually, just need let it confirm by a notary.

• well u have to tell your boss and correct the mail and legal papers. Proabably get a new social security etc.

• Yeah that's absolutely true, but at the very moment I become an actual US citizen everything changes anyway. That's why I'm asking now, at the moment I have my US passport I'm letting it the way it is.

• Keep it :)

• I'd probably just capitalize the "v" since all our last names start with a capital letter. Your last name is cool, embrace it :)

• The thing about this kind of name is that "van" is not actually part of the last name (strictly speaking). It's just a preposition. It's what in German is "von" and in English is "of". As in "Lord Huxley of Chestershire" You wouldn't really capitalize that "of" in English either...

• Yeah, but it's soom more logical to capitalize the 'B' as well then, to sort of keep the authenticity, which I think looks better, esthetically.

• True! Just be prepared for people to not capitalize the 'b' since most "American" names don't have two capital letters in their last name!

• I dont see the difference.

What Guys Said 6

• Keep your name dude. Ain't nobody will care your not from here. Your wasting time doing it and it makesyou come off like you lack self respect when you think you need to change your name. Just say your name proudly.

• Keep your name don't change it.

• Rick Van Den Brink. I wouldn't Americanize it. My parents immigrated from Germany and I wish they didn't Americanize our names.

• rick vanden brink sounds good.

• Why change it?

Dutch names are awesome!

• Leave it! Your legacy might try to find their ancestors sometime and lose you in the process.

• Well there only three generations with this last name anyway... me, my father and my grandfather