Investing in stocks tomorrow any advice for someone new?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 8

• Like @ConsultantIsBack optionsexpress. com is a sub company owned and operated by charles schwab, and one i have been invested in for quite a long time. I would say diversify your portfolio, that means shop around, don't bet on stocks that have highs as well as lows and don't be afraid to ride something out if the market dips.
    Some things that help me:
    1. Separate time investing your energy learning about a company or watching the news from your actual life. It's easy to get caught up in it, and as soon as you become flustered or anxious, you are going to lose money.
    2. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    3. Look on MSN's sub section money they have, they include very extensive modeling, and learn how to read graphs. Or go through your service.
    4. Don't be afraid to look at a companies stock price a few years ago, unless they are a volatile company it will give you great info in the companies direction.
    5. Look into defense technologies and software companies. It's often tech, science, and med that will give you the most bang for your buck.
    6. If you begin to get to a hectic point in your life or don't have time for this, go for dividend stock and re-invest, don't touch it and walk away. Or invest in wealthfront. com which a lot of my buddies have walked away doing. The Outcome for them has been great.

• Ya man I've really been pleased with oX

• I just went straight through Charles Schwab, it's been in my family as a brokerage for multiple generations. But they hold good values. Ox is a better version in my opinion for starting without a doubt

• Depends on what kind of investor you are bc there are different strategies. I think in USA they mainly trade for capital gains bc not many companies do good dividends bc of tax implications. This means you need to invest in companies who you think their stock will grow. So its better to avoid the bigger mature companies since their stock price is relatively stable but it depends on the company. You also dont really want to invest in younger companies who might have potential growth but theyre risky bc they can easily go bust. You want a company who is is growing but is a stable company. You can base your prediction either by looking at the historical stock trend or you can look at the financial statements. You can also consider other factors like potential economic conditions and project opportunities that companies might undertake which will give them a lot of profit gain. For example, in my country Australia there was a big mining boom and if you invested back then into those companies then you would have done well. But now its dying now and the economic conditions have changed. So you have to predict economic changes and things that may affect companies. It is also wise to not put all your money into one type of industry. You diversify in different areas so you reduce your risk. So if you invested a lot in mining for example and now its dead then you would have lost a lot of money. Whereas if you evenly spread in different industries then there is less risk of losing all your money. Anyways i hope helped a little.

• Don't get all excited about buying into a company you haven't even read their 10-K. Don't try to pretend to be the next Carl Icahn in your head. Just start nice and easy and conservative, well proven, buy into an Index fund or ETF like the S&P 500, I love Vanguard's instruments. Very well-proven, a sure bet, and low af management fees.
    Have u picked out an online broker yet? I highly recommend my OptionsXpress. com

• You're really smart for getting started young by the way, seriously

• LOL @ twitter xD

• if I might also add, if you are looking to buy actual stock, find a company of which you know the product or service and are already a customer. If you are starting with small amounts to get instant diversification, look at a mutual fund or as @ConsultantIsBack said ETF, they are also mutual funds but offer more liquidity and trade throughout the day as opposed to a traditional open end fund which is priced only once daily after the markets close. also learn about dollar cost averaging. It's really the most cost effective way to buy stocks/funds and assure you are getting a lower price on average than lump sum purchases. and at the end of the day, the key to successful investing is buy low-sell high. Most investors get that wrong when their emotions get involved.

• Don't cry when you have a lose
    Don't be greedy if you have a good profit

• Aren't you a bit too young for that?

• A very informative website investorpeda and stocktwits

• Do what ConsultantIsBack wrote "Index fund or ETF like the S&P 500, I love Vanguard's instruments"
    When you learn mote then you can start with individual stocks.
    Just don'y get sick & thrown off the roller coaster.

• The market is going nowhere so wait.