Guys, is it cruel that dogs have to wear a collar and leash?

I walked past a young guy and his dog was trying to walk ahead and choking cos the guy was pulling on the leash

4

Most Helpful Guy

• The problem, is that particular dog hasn't yet learned to walk with a leash properly. The dog won't choke if it stops pulling on the leash. If the dog was really choking that badly, it would ease up and stop pulling so hard.

The leash is there for a number of reasons. Such as protecting the dog from getting ran over, or attacking a human, or attacking another animal. It is about creating safety for that dog, and others, and not about being cruel to the dog.

What Guys Said 3

• That's why I'm probably gonna by a harness for my dog for walking. If he/she tries to walk ahead the harness will pull the dogs' front legs up instead of he/she choking themselves.

• Dunno why this is male-only, but I'd say it's more cruel if you let your dog run free and he ends up getting lost or run over. The guy you're talking about just didn't know how to handle his dog.

• My dog likes her collar. If I take it off she gets antsy. It's like she feels naked an has anxiety about it. :D It's something that was given to her by someone that cares about here and she doesn't want to lose it.