How would you react if you found out you had cancer?

Would you cry? Would you be angry? Would you be depressed? Just curious.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd probably cry, but that'd be because it was like something that my body would just make me do. Like even if I didn't feel like crying, I'd probably cry. Honestly, I think I'd just be okay with it and accept it. My life is kind of shit so if I were to find out I had cancer, I probably wouldn't really care.

• Wow, I must've been a depressed little shit when I wrote this... I mean, I still am, but damn.

Still, it's kinda true...

Thanks for MH!

Most Helpful Guy

• It would depend on what kind of cancer and at what stage it was discovered, but I am assuming you meant "You have 3 months to live" kind of deal. In that case, I would probably feel a roller coaster of emotions that would last a short time, but ultimately, I am not afraid of death, so I would just accept my fate and try to restructure my life in such a way that I would make the most out of what is left of it. I would scramble to plan, for the future (sounds funny now that I wrote it out, but hey 3 months is still the future). Essentially, give me about 3 days of confusion, anger, fear, disbelief, and panic, then 3 months of "living."

I did a paper on this topic for Philosophy of Life and Death. It was the first assignment of the year. Its purpose was to guide us towards what we felt it really meant to be human and to "live" (rather than just "be"). By thrusting the inevitable and imminent fact of death upon us, we are forced to confront our existence and its meaning. Some philosophers believed that death is the only thing that gives our existence any meaning. They were wrong, but death is certainly something that unites us all. At least until technology (maybe) changes that.

Anyway, in my paper I wrote that I would write letters to each of the people that matter to me (which is only a handful). I would tell them why I loved them and what they meant to me in my life. I would ask them not to mourn me (in vain, I am sure), but rather to honor me by marking our experiences together as something to smile about and be thankful for, and to utilize its abrupt and unexpected conclusion as a catalyst to their own personal growth so that I die dignified in the eyes of the ones who mattered to me.

The letters would be the hardest part. After that I would just go camping with my girlfriend and my dog until either I die peacefully (hopefully at night, while embracing my dog and my lover, staring at the stars), or I would off myself; either by jumping off a cliff whilst high on as much LSD as I could get my hands on, or have my girlfriend blow my brains out while I orgasm (if the cancer came with excruciating pain).

After we handed our papers in, the question was: why aren't we doing those things now? And now, I can't tell you how much time I've spent thinking about just living alone in the wild with my dog since I wrote that paper. At first I thought the assignment was a joke, but now I think it was on to something.

What Girls Said 6

• Honestly I have no idea. I think it would depend on the prognosis and how good of a chance of had at fighting it.

• I suppose a sense of helplessness, desperation, depression and stress... among other mixed feelings...

😔... feeling hopeful in a state of hopelessness...

• No idea to be honest. This is one of those situations that I'd have to experience to know how I'd feel and what I'd do. I wouldn't feel good things for sure. Maybe all of those you mentioned.

• I wouldn't be surprised but I'd totally go into a depression.

• Tbh, I really wouldn't know until it happens.

I DO know that I won't seek any prolonged medical treatment for anything that sees me being hospitalised.

• I would wanna die. Seriously, just shoot me then and there.

What Guys Said 12

• Happy, in a strange way. Knowing that you are going to die would be somewhat liberating because you would no longer feel bound to the pressures of life like school, work, and chores. You would be completely free, and thus able to do whatever you want before passing away.

• I would think I would die and prepare for it, I'd certainly get very sad. I wouldn't give up though and I'd start the treatment right away.

• If it's terminal , I think I have a flight to catch.
    On limited time and so many things to do. Nothing else matter at that point.

• I'd laugh

• I would commit suicide.

• It would give me an excuse to kill myself

• Make meth and dissolve random people in acid...

• I would feel apathetic, probbably ask my crush out.

• I'd be okay. It's bound to happen sooner or later.

• Indifferent in the fact that my adopted parents died of cancer. I doubt that I would put up much of a fight. I think I would just let it take it's course and let die. No sense fighting a disease in which the cure is often times worse than the disease.

• I'll tell it the day I get the diagnosis. I'll probably sigh, thinking "I had it coming" and I'll transfer my assets to a foundation, in a way that my wife and son pay less taxes on the inheritance.

• what have you done to have this coming

• @Waffles731 I lived a number of years and some family members died that way.

• crime wave

• Now that's an interesting answer. What would you do as your first crime?