Do you play guitar?

How hard is it to learn? I'm buying some cheap gemstone picks off ebay but I dunno if I'll just toss them after like 5 minutes...

Most Helpful Girl

• i don't, but it isn't easy to learn. i tried picking it up once, but i thought id stick to piano because it's easier.

look, as long as u have the dedication to really work hard on it, you'll get there, but if not, then there isn't much chance of u knowing much besides the names of the notes.

What Girls Said 1

• No I can't. I tried, arthritis in my hands won't let me.

What Guys Said 14

• Yep, I play it. Coincidentally I am practicing it right now for a performance thing tomorrow lol.

How hard is it to learn? It really is all dependent on what level you are going for.

I would say there are essentially different stages of proficiency.
    Stage 1: Basic chords, technique, and calluses. I would say within 1 month of relatively steady practice, you can build up all the essential chords (major and minor). With this, you'll be able to play roughly 85% of pop songs, and 40% (just a guesstimate) of all music.
    Likewise, you'll also go through a period of calluse building and tearing up your fingertips. That is normal. When I first started playing, my fingers got shredded up, but now I can play for an entire day straight with no issue. You just need to stick through it.
    I suggest finding an easy song you like, looking up the chord charts (type in on google "_[your song name]_ chords." Go to ultimate guitar. Have a chart of the chords and figure out the chords slowly until you can play the song, then build up the speed until you play it smoothly. Do this for multiple songs until chords come naturally.

Stage 2: Easy picking stuff. Roughly a month. Soon you'll probably get bored of chords and want to play melodies. This is when you'll start figuring out picking melodies with downstrokes. It is more so awkwardness than anything else but it isn't that bad.

Stage 3: Double picking. Roughly 2 months. Soon you'll want to play harder stuff. This is where you can play songs like Eye of The Tiger.

Stage 4: Strengthening previous techniques: Takes? Months. It really all depends on how much you practice. I suggest using songsterr. com and finding goal songs (songs you can't play yet) and songs you can play if you work at it. Master the hard but doable songs until you are proficient enough to try the difficult stuff.

Stage 5: Advanced techniques and strengthening previous techniques. Lasts until you stop playing guitar. Eventually you go into exploration and want to learn more. This is where you learn sweep picking, the wooten thumb thump, pinch harmonics, or tapping with two fingers. At this point, you'll be wanting to learn either jazz or metal. Almost any other genre is going to seem to easy tbh. Use songsterr. com again and find new challenges.
    Once you get good enough, you can develop your own style or maybe even technique!

• A lot of it is kind of "meh" at first-- chords are boring. But once you get better, it becomes really quite fun. You just need to have motivation to stick through it.

As for picks, I find that my personal favorites are these small black 1.2 m jazz precision picks I find at guitar stores. They're great for speed. I don't have any experience with gemstone picks myself. Fender makes decent picks though for funk/jazz-- they are cheap and have a nice gloss on them.

In terms of awkwardness, you may or may not be frustrated when you first start. It isn't an immediate process. While instruments like drums tend to be easy at first and then harder, guitar tends to be harder at first and then easier.
      However, it is worth it. One of the most enjoyable things I can do is take my electric guitar and play loud metal music with it lol. I've been playing for almost 3 years now, and I am at probably an intermeddiate-advanced level (subjectively though)

• Yep
    It's fun if you're interested
    If you ain't interested then within a month you won't even touch it 😂

• Yes. "How hard is it to learn?" It depends on how much patience you have in learning. If you get frustrated more early on, then it's not likely that you will continue. But if you're okay with being frustrated at first, then you could go far in terms of learning. You need to persevere and maybe give it a break every now and then. That way, it will help you not give up so easily/quickly. I'm not much of a player myself right now, only because work is keeping me plenty busy. I play mainly chords. It's probably good if you're only buying the picks and not the guitar. That way, you won't waste money on something that is quite expensive that you hardly use. Picks are cheap. I'd keep them instead of throw them away. Even if you don't use them anymore, you could maybe have a musician autograph it and then it's worth a lot of money - if they can autograph on such a small item.

• Why, yes, I do. I have been playing... technically since 2000, but I actually got my first guitar in 2001. It wasn't super difficult. It was just really awkward.

• Not so hard as long as you are interested in it. I started when I was 12, I knew a few chords but was so frustrated If I couldn't get it right. I stopped for 3 years and when I was 15, my friend was playing the guitar so well that I got inspired by it. From that day on, I practiced, watch youtube videos and now I'm pretty good at it.

• doesn't everybody. i dont use picks i use my fingers.

www.youtube.com/watch

• Dont buy expensive picks, you can get a pack of 12 Dunlop picks for a few $. But it isn't that hard to learn, just takes a while to get comfortable, and feel natural

• no its one of the thing i have always wanted to learn but but with arthritis it would make it hard to learn it.

• It's a little tricky in the beginning to learn it because you're causing stress on your wrists and are also building calluses on your finger tips. Don't worry about reading sheet music unless you're planning to play for bands or you're trying to be a session musician. I'm a musician and learned the guitar as a second instrument to learn for the fun of it. Just learn to finger pick and learn chords. Your ears will get better as you start to learn songs.

• I did to please a girl

• The hardest part is having your hands do different actions since our first instinct is to react the same way with the fingers on both hands. If you're not truly interested though, it's easy to quickly give up.

• I'd recommend learning to read sheet music and play classical before anything else, but you may get bored of that. Just look for a good teacher in your area and go from there.

• So, Taylor Swift.

• That's not what I said at all, but if you want to learn Taylor Swift songs, be my guest.

• Yes i do. And yes it can be

• Nope. Would like to, though.