How do you act when you see an ex?

Say you see your ex at a party or gathering. How do you act?

At a party, there's some pressure to interact with everyone, since we're in the same space for some period of time. I just try to be as diplomatic as possible and initiate some degree of conversation - I talk about really casual, surface-level topics. If she tries to take little jabs at me to try and piss me off I chuckle or smile politely, and let it slide. I just end it with, "it was good talking to you again, see you around." The last thing I want to do is start drama.

But if I saw her in the street I would either pretend I don't see her or at most just nod politely and go on.

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the ex. My most recent one, I would just smile and chat with him. My other one, He ALWAYS spots me before I spot him. I just feel him burning a hole in the back of my head, which causes me to look up and turn around. I just roll my eyes at him.

Most Helpful Guy

• Only one of my exes lives in the same country as me, so it's very unlikely I'll ever see the other ones again.
    As for my ex-girlfriend who also comes from my country: she was my girlfriend back when we were teenagers. We had a serious, long-term relationship and I loved her very much and she broke my heart but this was 12 years ago. I'm not angry at her anymore or disappointed or anything like that. We both went our ways. I've been with my current girlfriend for 6 years, she has been with her current boyfriend (the one right after me) for almost 9 years. We will probably both end up marrying our new, respective partners. She made her educations and has a job now, I am still studying but will have my job eventually. She moved to a different city, I stayed in my hometown. She mostly remained in the country, I lived abroad several times. We both have our lives and we don't hold any grudges. In fact, it's been such a long time I don't even remember what she looked like back then or how it was to be her boyfriend. When she invites me to a party, we're just like any other buddies/acquaintances. I'll talk to her just like I talk to other people at that party. I also don't feel awkward or angry around her boyfriend. He's a nice guy and he fits wayyyy better to her than I ever did. Plus, she's changed a lot in the past years and I wouldn't want to date her anymore even if I had the chance. We just weren't very compatible from the get-go and I don't judge or blame her for that. It just wasn't meant to be. That doesn't mean we can't be friends.

What Girls Said 16

• I mean. I act like a normal human being. It seems to me that I'm kind of an outlier in this situation. I never ignore my exes or act petty toward them. I never try to pursue negativity with them and I certainly don't treat them any differently form my other friends.

Yeah. I'm weird like that.

• I try to act normal. But recently, I avoided my ex, I felt ashamed afterwards because I think it was so obvious and rude, but it was surprising given the circumstances.

• I close my eyes and remind myself I stil love apple. Eventhough no one loves apple at all O:

• I kill them with kindness and sarcasm.

• I would just go on with my life. I don't think an ex should affect your life anymore. Just act like she's someone you've never met before. Just act normal. You don't specifically avoid strangers, right? You just see them and ignore them. Act like you have other friends to talk to, and you've gotta go.

• I physically leave because no ex dates so far will accept over as over, even when I am with someone else.

• I don't recommend pretend like you don't know or see her.
    Just look her in the eyes when you see.
    If she seems okay seeing you, give a smile.
    That doesn't mean you want your ex bk. Stay friendly but do not speak too much.

• I keep walking and act like they don't exist or I look away. I just act normal completely normal.

• I would run for thr hills.. lets just say, with my ex, we ended on VERY bad terms :/

And I know, I know he would stalk me and bother me the whole fucking night. So yes, I would leave the party in a timely fashion LOL

• As if he's not there.

• I don't have act exes.

• look away

• I would go and say hi, and let that person know I'm happy with my life, moved on. And I would be happy if he is doing well too.

• I pretend they do not exist

• I'd run away or freak out Im guessing, my ex is one of those ones that heart-broke you and they make your body explode when you see them.. you know..

My old ex I'd hug and talk to and catch up with.

• I go over, smile, hug them and say hello and go through the list of shared acquaintances and see how everyone is but if we weren't serious I don't bother going over but will be nice as pie if they come over to me or if they are talking to someone I want to talk too. If a anyone says something off or rude I would just laugh and say "Your a hoot and You haven't changed a bit, love. Good for you."

What Guys Said 5

• If I saw her I walk right out the door and hope she did not see me

• I'm on really good terms with all (except for one) ex.
    So we usually will start talking like a normal group of friends, in the case of the one who I haven't spoken to in years, I just say a polite "hi" and move elsewhere or give my attention to someone else nearby.

• I don't have exes because I'm a lonely bastard.

• Say hi

• My friends and I perform a synchronized break dance on an illuminated sidewalk.