Son came home with a scratch on his face caused by a hula hoop?

So my son is 5, he came home with a scratch on his face and said he was hit by a hula hoop during PE. I'm not buying it though, I don't see how a hula hoop can cause a scratch. It looks like a nail scratched his skin, because a tiny piece of skin was peeled off. How can I get him to tell me what really happened? I feel like complaining to the school, am I overreacting? Any advice please?

Most Helpful Guy

• Id say it's probably from that hula hoop. Those cheap plastic ones have seems that can be very sharp. Your overreacting a little bit. I'm 25 and sometimes I get scratches and bruises that I don't remember even happening. There will be more scraps, burns, and bruises in your future

Most Helpful Girl

• Contact the school. He got it while there. Have them get to the bottom of it for you.

What Guys Said 11

• I think your over reacting, he is a kid its as just as likely that he accidently scratched his face as anything else. If thats all it is then I would say let it go kids are going to get scratches and bruises (in my case stitches) its actually weird for that not to happen.

• He got scratched on his face while playing! That is what happens when you're a kid.

Don't be another crazy parent making life difficult for the schools.

• I think you may be overreacting.

• "am I overreacting?"

Yes. Very much so. Its just a little scratch. If my mother would have done drama each time I had a scratch she could have literally lived at school.

• Yes you're overreacting, and yes when I was a kid I was scratched by a hula hoop. They are cheaply made with seams that sometimes aren't aligned.

• Hula hoops have seams. Well, the cheap plastic ones anyway.

But that aside you can't really make him tell you anything. Just keep doting over it and mentioning that hula hoops are extremely dangerous and eventually if he is not speaking the truth he will let you know.

• You're overreacting. Have you ever held a hula hoop before? A lot of them, since kids tend to drop it on concrete often, begin to break and tear and this ends up causing tiny bumps and tiny plastic sticking out. I don't see why your 5yro would be lying he's outside playing expect cuts and bruises often.

• if he shows any symptoms of fear and other weird acts remove him from the school and find another one

• Probably a holahop could probably scratch a face up if it comes flying and spinning

• Yeah... that can happen...

• Ask the teacher what happened, I would be annoyed too

What Girls Said 3

• He's 5. He's going to get scratches and bumps and bruises. Why would he lie? I'd only he concerned if it happens again or he changes his story.

• Well ask him in a calm tone of what happened. If he doesn't want to tell you or says it was from a hula hoop then don't freak and do NOT pester on! If it really concerns you, you can talk to his teacher about it. The key is to be calm about it.

• I know those plastic jump ropes could do that if they hit your face. Maybe he thought the hoola hoop did it instead? Maybe he was doing the wrong thing and he said the hoola hoop did it? Not sure