What do you think this quote means?

"One trembles to think of that mysterious thing in the soul, which seems to acknowledge no human jurisdiction,
but in spite of the individual's own innocent self, will still dream horrid dreams, and mutter unmentionable thoughts." --- Herman Melville

I got this from an xmen comic book.

What do you think it means?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• It's that little voice in your head that makes you think bad things in spite of yourself.

Someone pushes in front of you in line or takes the last seat on the bus, and you spend the next ten minutes plotting gruesome fates for them.

What Girls Said 7

• I take it as, no matter how good we are, sometimes we think things that we would never say in real life. And I resonate with this, because sometimes these quick little thoughts float by that make me question if I'm a good person or not. For some people this could mean something as small as "gosh, that dress looks bad on her" or as bad as "I want to kill that person"

• It mean herman was drunk when he wrote this!

• Being on the fence of being good and evil. Even though we have innocence in us, we still think of "un-innocence" things.

• no matter how innocent a person is, they always have that aspect of them that is inherently evil since that's human nature

• Its about the demons in all of us

• the evil side of us all

• Jurisdiction in civic class I heard.. Ehh no one can be no greater than one another idfk

What Guys Said 8

• That despite everything despite all intentiones their is darkness in everyone and no matter how much they may despise it it does not seem to be subject to there will ie they cannot simply make it go away its beyond there control even if it brings them discomfort.

• i think it means that the soul is boundless. it is not restricted to parameters of humanity. in a sense it is omnipotent

however we as humans tend to put restraints and constraints on it

just my interpretation

• Its talking about the inner battle of oneself and morals. On the surface we seem to be innocent but deep inside we may not be.

• It's about little voice in your head your that's your conscience.

• our sanity among others is attributed to the insanity within ourselves.

• No matter what you will always say bad things towards yourself even if you're the most confident person in the world

• The dark side of humanity. A sort or lazy riddle.

• Our mind is a terrible thing at times, the stuff we can think of doing but don't is scary at times