Do you really believe the saying everything happens for a reason?

do you really believe the saying everything happens for a reason?

• yes
  • No
  • maybe
  • this is nonsense

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes everything happens for a reason if you believe that and choose to try to find the reason if you don't believe that then no it doesn't. It's subjective like everything else. I think sometimes you just have to believe that to just keep getting up in the morning or in order to endure things that may be beyond your control. Life is what you make it so in that way yes everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is just to show you what to not do again or showing you how you could have bettered a situation or to boot you from a path you thought was the right one because in reality it really wasn't.

Most Helpful Guy

• For every action, to include inaction, things happen, sometimes will long lasting far reaching results.
    For example, genocide, it's a horrible thing that will effect the world.
    During WW2 many brave people died without having children, the result was the loss of those traits.
    Genocide will do the same.
    Starvation is the result of self focused people not caring for others far away.
    These things aren't good but are the results of actions taken in the past.
    So does everything happen for a reason, yes but most don't want to know that.
    Laws don't exist before someone figures out how to harm society in some new way. The laws happen for that reason.
    It's not fair but it is what it is.

What Girls Said 16

• It's a nice proverb, but not true. I don't think there's any "bigger plan" behind things; just the collective decisions and actions of billions of people playing out within the natural laws of the universe. People like to think things are "meant to be", but I think this is sometimes used as an excuse not to take action. If we have no control of our destiny, than we have no prerogative to take actions to improve or otherwise alter our situation. Life is a series of chances, and how we react and work to control those chances.

• To an extent yes I believe that our lives do follow a plan but as far as the higher being having this great plan for everyone and that everything will be ok in the end of the plan and their lives happened for a reason. I'm not sure I by that. What's the reason for genocides and starving children? Doesn't seem like a good plan to me

• Yup I am stupid and made a bad choice!

• I'm gonna say no since that saying is typically used by spiritual people to provide an explanation (a lazy one) for x event that occurred whilst making references to some super natural force behind it ("everything happens for a reason, it's all a part of god's plan") I also think that it's used as an excuse to remove responsibility from a person's actions.
    To me, it's just plain lazy and a bad philosophy to live by.

• Everything happens for a reason but some reasons are way too low of a motif to be acknowledged as "reasons" eg someone being killed for "fun" or raped - there's nothing that could ever justify those crimes.

• I think it helps people find the positive in negative situations

• Yeah I do.

• The ghosts of all old Greek philosophers are still debating this in heaven.

• Tbh, I really do, as trippy as that sounds.

• you are not alone i mean look at the votes you are the majority esp if you count the maybes :p

• @smell-my-fingers. Meaning some of my best moments have usually always come from my worst moments,

• I follow you! Sometimes I feel the same feeling, Kitty. But I think it's a little bit of a matter of perspective, too. You clearly have a good and healthy way of looking at things [life]! There's nothing wrong with that! :)

• As bad as situations in life may be I do think it all happens for a reason. That's been true for me if I think about it.

• We were all in this earth for a reason 😊☺️

• It depends on the situation

• yes, but most of that boils down to your own responsibility.

• Maybe not that everything has a reason, but there is logic to everything.

• Maybe..

• Yes, it's god who decide so you have to accept it

What Guys Said 22

• Well yes everything does tend to happen for a reason its just not some divine plan or inspiration so much as cause and effect. So no, not in the context of the statement. Things don't happen for some reason that will benefit you, it won't benefit you unless you can figure out how to learn from it or exploite said event but that is a personal choice not some divine inspiration.

• It is one of those platitudes that cannot be proved or disproved without reference to religious beliefs, and religious beliefs are premised on faith, so. . . if believing it makes you feel good, no one can prove that your faith is misplaced.

• "God does not play dice with the Universe"
    "Stop telling God what to do, Albert"

If there is a reason for everything then why is there not a reason for coincidences?

There might be and there might not be a reason. What does it matter anyway? Most of the reasons people give you are after the fact rather before it. It's not like you can tell what will happen right?

• Ever since I asked God to take the wheel, the clarity of it all is amazing!

• I believe that there is a cause for every effect but I don't think things happen to you as part of a plan or to serve a greater purpose. It's just cause and effect.

• If you mean a supernatural reason then no. There is a reason to things happening though. Like if I really have to take a shit and trip on the way to the bathroom the reasoning is that I shouldn't have procrastinated going to the bathroom. It would be my own fault. If I had a final in a class and waited to the day before to review the material and ended up getting a bad grade that would be my own fault because I was irresponsible.

Stuff like that happens for a reason everyday.

• So what are you saying, you believe in coincidence? I'm purely curious!

• this is not up for debate just asking a question

• Fair enough! You're the OP, bro! I concur!

(and thanks for the +1) I admire your way of thinking... And YES I DO get it! I am the same way once I start to write! :)

But I kinda "like" to believe in "Karma" like those that have it coming, get theirs! (One day... I'm quite patient! LOL!)

But realistically, no I'm a physics major, so, while I question the very nature of random chance in of itself not sure I believe in it at the most fundamental levels, I think that things happen because they do! (for lack of a better way of saying it!)

Consider this: How amazing... I was behind the one and only car that had the license plate EGK139 yesterday! Holy freaking S! What are the chances! (That's a thinker!)

Well I guess it depends on your perspective! What other car would I be tailing?

But your opinion is (thankfully) sincere and generalized! I appreciate that!

• Well everything does happen for a reason, it just may not be the reason you think. :D

For example I went out to get coffee today. The reason why that happened is because I like coffee and wanted to get out for a bit. I dated someone awesome and the reason that happened is because we liked each other.

• A few things do but not enough to let go of life's steering wheel. You're responsible for most of what happens to you.

• If it is true then every infant dies for a reason as well.

• so, what i got from that meme is that the dude is lactose intolerant and his anus will never be the same again in the next 2 hours :|

• that's what you got from that meme i was thinking the grungy grizzly Adams look was it

• Ya cuz you have to make things happen

• yes i do strongly believe that everything happens for a reason

• No. Reason is a human construct; the universe has no need for it.

• That's how the cards just line up sometimes, what fate has in store.

• yes whether good or bad

• how ironic a guy named skeptic believes :D

• it's based on choice 90% of what happens to you is based on choice
      the other 10% can be random choice

• Not always.

• Nope. The universe is chaotic. Sometimes shit just happens.

• Total bullshit. Shit happens cuz it happens.

• Yes. I also believe in destiny. 😊

• maybe

• I'm 6'9 and I don't know why that happened. Did it happen for a reason 🤔

What's the reason?🤓