When you look in the mirror, do you see someone that is *TRULY* open-minded?

When you look in the mirror, do you see someone that is *TRULY* open-minded?I believe that most of us at least attempt to be open minded, and many of us think that we are. But are we really? Each of us has biases about many things (religion, politics, sex, etc.). Are you actually able to set those aside for the purpose of considering the opinions or positions of others? If not, is it because you are "always right" (no one is always right) or because you just simply couldn't care less what others think or why (that would seem to me to inhibit your cultural wisdom)?

Most of us probably have some things that we just simply can't or won't compromise, and that is understandable. Maybe for you it's abortion, or gun control, or whatever. But even still, are you capable and willing to LISTEN to opposing views to try to get some understanding of how or why another person may have a completely different view point?

From my experience here on GaG, I'm going to say that most of us that *think* we are open-minded, really aren't a large percentage of the time. In fact, I'm beginning to believe that we could almost measure our minds as a percentage of open-mindeness. In other words, what percentage of the time are you *willing* to empathize enough with a person who has an opposing view to your own about a given subject?
So, are YOU *TRULY* open-minded?

• Yep, I'm 100% open-minded 24/7
  • 75-99% open-minded
  • 51-74% open-minded
  • I'm pretty much 50/50 if I'm being honest with myself
  • 25-49% open-minded. I just can't do it very often
  • 1-24% open-minded. I can only do it when I'm pretty neutral on a subject
  • 0% open-minded. I'm a closed-minded, opinionated, know-it-all
For purposes of the poll, try to honestly estimate the percentage of time that you are willing and able to empathize with a person that has an opposing point of view. You already know that you don't agree at the outset, but are you capable and willing to put yourself in their shoes in the interest of at least understanding them?

What is the percentage of times that you believe you actually put their shoes on your feet for the moment? Even if you don't get where they're coming from. 20%, 50%?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say about 70-72%, I really do try. I renovated a lot of things about myself just out of high school, and I think a lot of those lessons stuck with me.

In general, I'm open minded, but I don't give much time to truly crazy stuff ex) the earth is flat

What Guys Said 27

• I guess it depends on the issue, the person and how they expressed themselves.
    I am generally ok with listening to opposing views and rarely outright dismiss someone just for holding a different view. I believe that the truth is somewhere in the middle between extreme so its good to hear both sides. Also they mught say something that I ahvent heard before so its worth at least hearing them out unless Im really tired at the moment. I only have a problem if they talk down to me, try to force their view on me, try to make me feel bad for my view or have an “I am right you are wrong” mentality in which case I tend to avoid them. I hate people that talk down to me.
    Sometimes I think Im more lazy, confused or indecisive than I am open minded tho. I kinda like the idea of a “right answer” and when that answer isn’t clear it frustrates me. So I try to identify the people who I perceive as being the most intelligent and knowledgeable and see what they believe. However I’ve found that Intelligent people can make really convincing arguments and back up their side regardless of what side they are on. I could find a really smart person saying X about a certain issue but then there will be a seemingly equally smart person saying Y about that same issue. UGH! Its so distressing to me >.<

So a lot of my positions on things can be half assed in that I don’t really feel strongly about them. However on the few things were I am a bit more emotionally invested it is unlikely that I will be swayed. So I guess it all depends on how you define open minded. I voted 50/50 :p

• There's a dimension that you may be ignoring. Some of us prefer ambiguity to conclusion, are happier in that time before a decision is made than after it is made. This personality aspect can manifest through a desire to continue gathering and considering opposing perspectives.

What I'm proposing is that open-mindedness and closed-mindedness are not opposite poles, rather that there is a triangle with narrow-mindedness taking one vertex,, empathetic understanding (with a drive to conclusion) occupying a second, and analysis paralysis being a third.

• I am open minded with a lot of things, but certain topics I'm not at all, such as racism, murder, certain government policies and views I just cannot understand no matter how hard i try I just see them as pointless and idiotic. Ad etc you etc the gist :D

• the problem with having an open mind is that other people will inevitably come along to try to store their excess bullshit in it.

I consider myself open minded to a point. For example, if someone comes up to me and tells me that jets are leaving chemtrails to poison us all into being slaves for the government, I might give them a few minutes of my time to hear them out, but if they didn't make much sense just a few short seconds into their speech, I'm not going to listen for much longer.

• I know for a fact that I'm not open minded on a few things. But I am on most others. I'm all for equal rights n shit but only if that means equal responsibilities. The only things I wouldn't be open minded about are certain sexual things like pegging and kissing after oral. Well the later's debatable but the former is something I don't think I will ever try.

• I try to be open minded but when I look back I can be very closed minded. I'm very good at being opened minded when the subject at hand has nothing to do with me. I try to keep my beliefs out of making an opinion on something. But if it's like gun control something that I am passionate about its very hard for me to see the other side. I am a gun owner and the other side argues that guns are a problem. But if people want to cause harm to other people they'll find something else or they'll get a gun off the black market. So I don't see how banning the sale of guns would stop that. So I do try my best to be open minded but I fail because I'm not perfect. I'm human.

• i believe i am. i have my opinions and convictions but i am always willing to listen to an opposing viewpoint.

• I was the first to vote g I'm a know it all sort of.

I'm not open to gay stuff I just tolerate it for the work place. they should be able to get married because it a government thing not a religious thing.

I don't and do believe in jeues and aliens. I know the big bang theory ( not show)_ is what people said caused the universe but cause that. And there has to be other life out there smart or stupid.

And there so many religions somnody saw somthing back then.

Politics doesn't matter to me I'm to poor for it to matter to me.

And I always listen to the other side of the arguemenf because its information. and it info I can use to better my argument or to de bunk someone else. or I could be proven wrong.

I don't have a problem admitting I'm wrong.

So I'm a atheist-sorta
    No poltical views at the moment
    That doesn't like transgender gay thing mostly with males but I'm staring not to like the female stuff either. It gross me out and I don't like the adgenda.

It very important that I tell u guy I think everyone need the human and humanity rights. To work , eat , live and be equal.

• Open minded most of the time and i'm willing to listen to both sides of an argument but i won't listen to people with extremist views. I think that 10% minority is deluded and irrational personally since the world is never black or white but infinite shades of grey.

So it's fair to say i'm 80% open-minded. Thankfully so is most of the planet otherwise we'd have annihilated the human race by now.

• That's pretty good, thanks. Personally, I feel like your estimate of "most of the planet" is extremely optimistic, but hey... it'd be awesome if you're correct.

I'm LOLing at the 15% of people that voted "A" right now.

• Lol yeah people that voted A are either lying or don't really understand your question. If they were 100% open minded that means they swing from Hitler to Gandhi at the drop of a hat.. literally.

You're right might have been optimistic with most of the planet, what i meant to say was most of the west, at least according to voting polls. Its almost always middle of the road parties that win elections. Thankfully its them that controls the Nukes (or at least enough to keep everyone else honest).

• "An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."

Jokes aside, I've always given people a chance to explain their views and ideas regardless of how absurd they might seem. Now, I admit I often struggle with accepting new things and have been called "old fashioned" but most of the time it is because they're being shoved down my throat. More and more ideas are not appreciated for being reasonable but for being new and fashionable. I cringe every time someone defends their views with "Cause it's 20xx!". You know what year it is? I'm so fuckin' proud of ya! Throwing old concepts away without being absolutely 100% super duper sure you have something better is a recipe for disaster.

• www.azquotes.com/.../...rry-pratchett-23-55-64.jpg
    I always dig this up whenever someone talks about being open minded as a completely 100% good thing. It's good to be accepting of good ideas, but it's very important (if not more) to have a filter on what goes in there :)

• Im pretty open minded, like 70% I don't know

• I'm not open minded.
    There is only opinions that match those of myself and then there is the opinions that are plain wrong.

What do I care about wrong.

• Well we fight before, but I agree with you on this. I'm very modern. I do not agree with traditional and religious views. I believe in progress. Without it, humans would still be hunters and gatherers.

• You don't strike me as very open-minded, but maybe you are. I'm curious if you were honest with yourself, how did you vote?

• OP, thanks for your answer. As you pointed out earlier, we don't agree often. And this is another one of those times.

It's not surprising to me that you grossly over-estimate your percentage of empathy at 75-99%. To me, you'd be pushing it to say 50% based on your answer above (let alone the countless other posts of yours that I've read). The very fact that you are ONLY are willing to be open-mided to things that YOU consider to be "modern" is pretty closed-minded IMHO, albeit PC in today's society. So, you're willing to more or less PC with the "modern times" but not open to anyone who's less "modern" than you - even though they may be older and wiser based on life experience. So really, you endorse LIKE-mindedness, and NOT open-mindedness.

However, I do hope that you strive to hit that level of empathy and open-mindedness that you evaluated yourself with.

• Maybe you're right, but it's hard listening to someone that has out dated views when this world is changing every day.

• I try to understand others views, but I certainly will not entertain religion, politics or gender to colour my judgment.
    I can honestly refute anyone's assertion that they are right about important issues that I disagree with.
    It saddens me that some people actually think it is right and proper to carry an assault rifle, because it is in the interests of the NRA, and republican shareholders, to let people be killed by guns that make them billions in profits.
    Equally some people actually want chump trump as the next president of the US of A.
    I am more open minded than the cretins who believe these things!

• You just proved yourself to be pretty closed-minded IMHO bro. Especially judging those things as a non-American. Your only source of information is what you see/read from the outside. As a nudist, you of all people should be better at not assuming that you know how things are without being there.

That said, please DO NOT start a political or gun control debate on this question.
      Thanks! :)

• I don't see anything, every time I look in the mirror it commits suicide.

• I'm open minded about most things, I am trying to be more

• I'd like to think I am, but I'm probably not tbh.
    I like to call things how I see 'em, but If I don't have a view I don't comment.

• People see what they want to see, Hear what they want to hear, And can justify anything in pursuit of their own personal agenda.

• If we are going by your definition I am not open-minded at all.

• im more open minded than atheist

cause atheist can't listen they don't know how too
    they think, they know it all

so they can't shut up for a second and listen
    on top of that they don't have common sense

simple question is the earth spinning?

• I vote c.

• definitely not

• That would be gross...

• To be truly open minded means to have no limits and no ideals. I have limits and I have ideals.

• I see things how they are, and not how I'd like them to be...

• LOL young one? OK bro. Will do.

• By young I was referring to your age and wisdom.
      Money can come and go but valuable lessons Are never bad investments and they last forever

• I see someone who's unattractive

What Girls Said 20

• ahah well, I'm good at reading people and seeing the intentions/desires behind what they're saying. That's not the same thing as open-mindedness, per se, BUT I think it sometimes has some of the same consequences -- in the sense that it sometimes makes me a bit better at seeing things from the standpoint of the "other" in whatever situation.
    The same thing tends to happen in my interactions on this site, too. For instance, I often find myself being the 1 person tossing out constructive advice to try to help someone patch up a relationship, when 20 or 30 other people are all shouting "Break up!" in unison. This thread is a recent example:
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1983564-i-m-losing-my-attraction-for-my-girlfriend-difference-uncertainty

And... I've certainly encountered a whole range of points of view here that are new to me personally, that I wouldn't have ever encountered in the course of my ordinary social life. As for the degree of "open-mindedness" with which i've actually integrated those into my way of thinking about various things, well, I suppose that's anyone's guess haha.

On the other hand, yeahh I am not very open-minded at all about certain kinds of oh-no-not-THIS-shit-again. As you are very well aware indeed.
    Those things, though... is that really a matter of being closed-minded, though? Or is it just like, look, fuckers, these are *facts*, and you are ignorant, and let me educate you? I like to see it as the latter.

In any case, I can be a bitch at times, but I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong and apologize for it, and, at the end of the day, I think that's probably more important than any nominal "open-mindedness". It's certainly more important in terms of making friendships and relationships work in the long term.

• Thanks. I wish you'd write longer answers. ;)

• I mostly agree. And I do feel your pain. Which is why I almost never spend a ton of effort wen answering questions. It seems like when I do give maximum/sincere effort, it's rarely even acknowledged with a "thanks".

And when the down vote returns, I will be miss one-liner or GIF only, 99% of the time.

What was your empathy percentage vote?

• I voted 51-74%.

Had I not lived in San Francisco for a year, I'd have voted 75-99%.

As for the "effort" thing -- you know how fast I can type, right? (:

• We all have certain things we really just close our ears off to hearing whether we like it or not. With me this mainly happens when I just get so tired of hearing circular arguments on the same topic over and over and over.

My issue is guns. I haven't closed my ears on it in the way that I'm not trying. To find a solution and open to different solutions but I'm tired of hearing from people who want even greater proliferation of guns and won't even consider things like the CDC continuing research on gun behaviors and other studies that may allow people to keep their guns and reach a solution that 95% of the population is happy with.

I realize this is a very polarizing issue however and both sides espouse some equally unbending ideas so I'm just fed up and pretty much shut people down or ignore them when they want to talk about it.

• Well, it depends on what "Open minded" means... I come from a religious and traditional backround and I believe that we are somewhat open minded in the sense that I've always been tought to respect others around me, and if I don't like something or don't agree with other people's choices in life I just have to ignore it.
    Also I have been taught to respect other people's faith and religions.
    But by nowadays standards I might be considered not "Open minded" enough, because for example I consider transgender-sim is a mental illness and not something normal, but it doesn't mean that I'll spend my days ranting on this or bully these people, just ignore it.

• Also I like to debate with my friends on taboo topics but it's always done in a respectful matter, I can consider myself open minded as well because of the fact that I respect, and listen to other people's opinion without insulting them if I don't agree. That's how a civilized argumentation should work, we exchange ideas, without trying to change the other person or force them to agree with you.

• Having opinions doesn't mean you're closed minded and not having opinions doesn't mean you're open minded. An open minded individual is not someone who accepts anything and everything someone does. A person like that is just weak and incapable of taking a stance out of fear. Your inability to accept other people think and feel differently than you is the issue, not them being "closed minded."

• I mostly agree. I think?

But more to the point, if you already have formed an opinion, are you capable AND willing to listen to the other side, to attempt, at a minimum, to understand why or how they formed an opposing point of view?

Or do you just dig your heels in and refuse to listen? That's more along the lines of where I was headed with the question.

And if you DO listen, could your position EVER be changed if their argument was strong and legitimate?

• That's how I feel about it but from what I've seen a lot is people who claim to be "open minded" and declare others as "closed minded" don't even know what they're talking about. For example, I don't agree with the LGBT community at all. However, that doesn't stop me from liking people who also happen to be apart of that and treating them with the basic respect everyone deserves.

Some people refuse to accept that something like that is possible and then go on a rant. Little do they know is I have a gay brother who thinks he's a girl, plenty of homosexual aunts, uncles and cousins, gay friends and I used to be a supporter. However I analyzed all perspectives and formed an opinion and I don't agree with it.

I am capable of listening and understanding, even sympathizing with opposing views. I just think most people do not understand that acceptance doesn't mean agreeing with someone.

• well said. Thanks.

• Well I have pretty traditional values but im pretty open minded though most liberals who would call me close minded are that which they accuse myself of because they cannot conceive of someone having a different view other than the one they think every one should have.

• Yep, I'm 100% open-minded 24/7
    hahah!

• I like to think I'm open minded but since you said to be honest with myself , I know I'm closed off on certain subjects.

• I'm very open minded in almost all areas of life - sex, however, is not one of them because I would never have anal sex and I've previously been called a prude for stating that on here but honestly I can live really well with that lol

• I think the one who called you prude is the one who isn't open minded.. there are a lot of things i don't want to try for example illegal tower climbing. Very exciting too, but not for me. Does that make me a narrow minded guy? Think not. But if you disagree i am happy to reconsider. . :)

• @Mesmaeker maybe you're right, it's all a matter of perspective I suppose

• I would say I'm in the 75+% catagory. I'm open minded enough to know I'm probably not 100% open minded.

• I'd say I'm in the 75-99% range.

• I have no problem listening to others. If you take the time to listen, there's a good chance you'll learn something even if it's about yourself. However, I will not listen to crazy. If what you're saying has no reasonable backup than I have to walk away. For example: people that say "kill all the white people," instead of taking responsibility for their own situation. No bueno.

• um opened minded on most subjects but thare are a few i will not agree with but i dont fight over most i norm say u have your view i have mine there is no right answer leave it at that lol

• The second option is as close as I can get. I can be open minded, but there are some subjects where my opinions won't change.

• I have no shame admitting it. I am naturally close minded, but that's a good thing, because due to this, I am extremely analytical of new things presented to me. Basically, I won't just willingly accept any new idea without thoroughly thinking it through. However, I am completely open to hearing people's sides. I'm just not a "Do what thou wilt." kind of person.

• IF you really are "completely open to hearing people's sides" - you may actually be a bit more open-minded (albeit it opinionated) than you think. :)

• I try to be. But there are lots of things that I won't change.

• I can put what I believe in aside and hear them out.

• I think most people on this site are pretty open minded

• i honestly think i'm 100% open minded, i let people sway my opinions all the time

• I consider a open-minded person but not with everything.

• I'm not a social conservative. I disagree with their views and will not listen to them. Everyone else I treat them with respect and talk to them like it's 2016.