I believe that most of us at least attempt to be open minded, and many of us think that we are. But are we really? Each of us has biases about many things (religion, politics, sex, etc.). Are you actually able to set those aside for the purpose of considering the opinions or positions of others? If not, is it because you are "always right" (no one is always right) or because you just simply couldn't care less what others think or why (that would seem to me to inhibit your cultural wisdom)?
Most of us probably have some things that we just simply can't or won't compromise, and that is understandable. Maybe for you it's abortion, or gun control, or whatever. But even still, are you capable and willing to LISTEN to opposing views to try to get some understanding of how or why another person may have a completely different view point?
From my experience here on GaG, I'm going to say that most of us that *think* we are open-minded, really aren't a large percentage of the time. In fact, I'm beginning to believe that we could almost measure our minds as a percentage of open-mindeness. In other words, what percentage of the time are you *willing* to empathize enough with a person who has an opposing view to your own about a given subject?
So, are YOU *TRULY* open-minded?
- Yep, I'm 100% open-minded 24/714% (8)9% (5)12% (13)Vote
- 75-99% open-minded41% (23)38% (20)39% (43)Vote
- 51-74% open-minded29% (16)30% (16)29% (32)Vote
- I'm pretty much 50/50 if I'm being honest with myself5% (3)9% (5)7% (8)Vote
- 25-49% open-minded. I just can't do it very often9% (5)2% (1)6% (6)Vote
- 1-24% open-minded. I can only do it when I'm pretty neutral on a subject2% (1)4% (2)3% (3)Vote
- 0% open-minded. I'm a closed-minded, opinionated, know-it-all0% (0)8% (4)4% (4)Vote
What is the percentage of times that you believe you actually put their shoes on your feet for the moment? Even if you don't get where they're coming from. 20%, 50%?
Most Helpful Guy
Most Helpful Girl
I'd say about 70-72%, I really do try. I renovated a lot of things about myself just out of high school, and I think a lot of those lessons stuck with me.
In general, I'm open minded, but I don't give much time to truly crazy stuff ex) the earth is flat1