Why do my mom and sister keep denying this second nationality?

i am 3/4 irish and 1/4 polish. my mom is fully irish and my dad is half irish but his dad is fully polish. i've never met my grandpa because he died when my dad was still an infant. so me and my sister dont know much about the culture or the language but i am still proud of both of my nationalities. but then every time i somehow bring up that im not fully irish, both my mom and sister keep telling me to stop saying that and that im not actually polish. HOW does it not count when my grandpa was polish? i always want to learn more about the culture but they always make me feel bad about even bringing it up

Most Helpful Guy

• Because of World of Warships. degutant.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe they are embarrassed.

• why though? i mean i know my mom doesn't really care about it because she's fully irish so she doesn't care if i know about the polish culture, but my sister is just really annoying about it. she basically acts as though she's somehow better if she's only one nationality instead of two, and she wants me to think the same way

• They have to explain that to you.

What Guys Said 1

• you really don't have enough polish to count. and if you have always been raised as Irish it might sound like you are ashamed to be Irish

• how is my father being half polish not count? im not 1/16th polish, im 1/4th. and i am proud to be irish and the majority of the time i dont even mention being polish but ones in a while when i do, when people want to get technical and discuss all their nationalities and i join the conversation, my mom and sister try to tell me to stop saying that.

• maybe that is just how they see it or maybe they are trying to forget that guy or something I don't know you will have to get them to tell you

What Girls Said 2

• Ask them why you're not polish even though your grandpa was full polish.

• i do always say that and they just change the subject. its so annoying

• Have you tried asking your dad about it? Even if he doesn't know either he might be able to shed light on the situation

• I think you should research your family history and learn more about it on your own; if your family won't tell you. Maybe your family didn't like that relative or have different views or something.