If you were hit by a tsunami would the impact kill you immediately?

I was watching that film "Deep Impact" and I was thinking about the part where the woman and her father are stood on the beach waiting for the wave to hit them.
I was wondering, if you were hit by a huge tsunami wave would you die immediately or would you float underneath the water and drown?

Most Helpful Guy

• yes tsunamis move fast and have a lot of energy and the turbulent water will pull you under and depends on where you are you won't be able to swim so you'll drown, and wash to sea plus there's more than one wave, so in the movie deep impact they wouldn't stand a chance even with scuba gear and even before the wave because of the size and power of the water moving almost at the speed of sound and the impact of the comet here's some FAQs on the movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120647/faq

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say on impact

What Guys Said 17

• Well being "hit" by a tsunami? What does that mean?

For instance, let's say you are "hit" by a car. If the car glances your side, even if it's traveling at high speed, you'll likely survive. If you are hit head-on, you'll likely die.

When you are "hit", what kills you are sufficient forces that cause critical organ damage. Sure, a substantial amount of fast moving water slamming into you can kill you. However, some tsunamis aren't so much these incredible waves as much as they are just a continual onslaught of water; the force isn't so bad, but you are likely to drown.

Feel free to study physics and geophysics.

• Depending on where you are... if you are on the beach, the impact will kill you. In the off chance that it doesn't the wave is too high and you'll drown or if you are lucky, the force of the wave rams you into something killing you.
    if you are inland... well, the stuff the wave has picked up along the way will probably kill you.

• Once on a beach on the Canary Islands I did see a girl going into the sea wearing a bikini. She was surprised bi an abnormally big Atlantic wave (8-10ft high, I'd say).
    The wave completely shredded her bikini. (The rest is left to your dirty imagination. I stayed discrete and didn't ask her if she needed help but I suppose she had some bruises to hide) :D
    If an Atlantic wave can do that, a tsunami can certainly do worse. It doesn't take that much to kill a human.

• If a tsunami could cripple the concrete of Fukushima -made to resist earthquakes- just imagine what it could do to a human body.

• I think you usually get swept under and then drown, either that or you die from hitting debris.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ViNmb5vyBXw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UWPZ4h91s2c

• Well, I think that if the tsunami didn't kill you immediately then it's going to be much pain and suffering to be felt prior to drowning.

• Well the deep impact tsunami is obviously unrealistic and would quite easy crush you instantly.

A normal tsunami comes in to shore at about 30-50mph and water weighs 1 ton per cubic meter. Think of it like being hit by a small car at 40, you might survive if your neck isn't broken by the impact - but you'll be knocked out at least and drown very soon after.

• will the water would been hitting you with tons per square inch if you was to let it hit you, so i dont think you would live. but if your some kind of x man mutant like that gene grey was in the movie you would live but you would have a split personality i think.

• The tsunami from a deep impact event is very different from a "normal" tsunami. The deep impact tsunami would wipe you out on impact. A regular tsunami is just a huge wave that keeps coming. Watch the videos of the tsunami in Indonesia that killed a QUARTER OF A MILLION PEOPLE!

• I don't think so... but can be a strong impact i guess.
    Those two characters were probably cut into pieces against rocks and buildings...

• It depends how fast the water is traveling, but chance are youd die from drowning first or getting impaled or crushed by debris first then the impact of the water

• Probably. Look at the damage it can cause upon impact. Waves have destroyed buildings in seconds later and if you did survive the impact, then you're likely to drown

• Yes.

A tsunami has the force of a goddamn megaton bomb. It travels at several HUNDRED miles an hour.

• Let me rephrase this: If you jumped off the Golden Gate bridge and hit the water it's like hitting concrete. You would be hitting that "liquid concrete" six time slower than that wave would hit you.

• if it came at you with enough force it would kill you on impact

• I don't think I'm capable of dying. Even if I'm drowning, I would probably still live somehow. I don't know how, though.

• It could be either I guess.

• lmao no. the shit in the water would.

• no i'm superman ;)

What Girls Said 3

• You'd probably be knocked unconscious when the wave hits you, then be thrown around and eventually drowned by the wave

• i don't think i would... i live in an elevated area

• i watched that movie, it was pretty dumb. why didn't everyone book a ticket to the himalayas?