Do you use Anti Virus for your laptop?

I don't use haha I don't use my laptop unless I'm watching movies so why should I

i have HP I'm so bored from how many time they remind me to buy Anti Virus 🙄

• Yes
  • No
Y'all are very helpful 😍

Most Helpful Guy

• I use AVG free version and Microsoft Essentials. Never had a problem since 2009 when I bought my laptop

Most Helpful Girl

• yes but get the free version of avast its the best out there and is no different than paid. It's constantly updating.
    I want to yell at my parents because they still pay for norton.

What Guys Said 27

• The first thing I do with any new computer is uninstall whatever antivirus they've installed on it and enable the built-in Microsoft AV (called Windows Defender in Win8 and above, and "Windows Security Essentials" in older versions).

Is it the BEST AV? No, but it's 95% as good, and even the very best is only about 50% effective (per the AV companies themselves), but it's FREE FOREVER and it does a pretty good job without causing problems for other apps.

Most modern AV programs are incredibly bloated - they try to make money a dozen different ways, and do a bunch of stuff that most people don't want or need - and they slow down your computer a lot.

But the biggest "virus" is the person sitting at the keyboard. If you do stupid things - visit porn websites, pirate websites, or install "free" apps by clicking "next, next, next, next" without reading the screens, then you're going to defeat ANY AV program and get infected anyway.

Porn and pirate sites run lots of ads, often from shady ad networks that don't monitor their ads closely and let malware ads into their ad systems, and most porn and pirate sites don't spend much time maintaining their sites, so they're a great way to be infected.

And tons of "free" apps include additional "free utilities" that they try to get you to install - and which you WILL install if you just click "next next next", and then you are PWNED! Even many legit, useful apps have these awful installers that install a bunch of crap - because the companies behind those crap apps pay the GOOD app developer to get their crap apps installed - knowing you'd never install the crap app on your own.

Paying attention and remaining skeptical is the best AV there is.

• Right now I'm using Avast Antivirus. I just stick to free options instead of what they typically bundle and package with the computer such as Norton Antivirus as I find that Antivirus program takes up a lot of system resources and way too restrictive sometimes.

• I haven't used anti-virus in years.
    As long as you use ad block software, and are careful about what you download, you should not deal with viruses. It could happen, but it is unlikely.

• I run Linux, I know what things are supposed to look like under the hood, and I know how to mitigate risks. If your running the #1 targetted OS, you don't know how it works, and you don't know how to protect it you need an anti-malware solution and regular updates. If you disagree your welcome to play the odds, their about the same as getting mugged or burglarized in New York.

• There is no law that states you have to use it.. it is your computer after all.. but if one day you did decide to use it for more.. I would strongly suggest that you not only get anti virus stuff.. and there are free ones.. that are easy to install.. but also a good registry cleaner.. lots of those out there as well that are free and again easy to install, take care now

• If you're smart you'll always have it on your computer otherwise it will get infected, even if your not on a website that is known for malware your computer can still get infected even if your just searching on google. And there is nothing more annoying then wiping your computer clean and reloading and updating everything back onto it. even if you have everything backed up it still takes a long time.

Source: Father is an IT and computer specialist.

• Windows defender is good enough period. If you don't go to shady sites, you will be good anyway.

• @genericname85 Lol you'd think wouldn't you? hah.

• haha i mean if you´re really that dumb or lazy, just watch a youtube video of some guy doing it and follow along xD or buy a mac, where you pay 100 times the price for the hardware, where the software doesn´t have that particular issue but then again your mac will be obsolete in 2 years, cause apple intentionally codes their OS so older hardware runs it crappy :D that´s the price you pay for being dumb.

• The best anti-virus is called "common sense".

Some people, sorry, I mean lots of people, have absolutely no idea what they're doing when they are using a computer, so they most definitely need anti-virus, to protect them from themselves.

Other than that, AV is pointless. If someone wants your machine infected, they will. AV is always behind, always chasing the virus creators. You can only protect against that which already exists, not against that which hasn't been invented yet.

• even when you use common sense you should use one. happens often enough that trustworthy sites, ads and more get hacked.

• @Sovereignty maybe its different from what i remember. I was talking to my computer guy at work and I remember that he said its newer its and sometimes they can never get the files back. he's pretty educated on it.. I mean he has a business on the side so let's hope hhaha

• @akadatank44 It's an old application that's been given a new twist... It's a DNS attack that leads to a script that infects your system and encrypts your files. And given the length of the encryption key, yes your files are going to be unrecoverable.

But it all starts with a simple DNS attack... most problems start simple.

• I don't think MBP's need them. there really aren't any viruses for us...

• if you use the internet and windows, then you should use one. there are many ways to catch something. just get a free one... don't even have to pay.

on my gaming pc I use Eset NOD32 Antivirus.

my notebook which I use for working runs Arch Linux, so I don't use regular AntiVirus. But I have an on demand scanner and some other things

• There's always clamav if you want your resources eaten :)

• @zoooot I have it but it's really just an on-demand scanner... not running during 99.9% of the time

• Wow I remember there's free Anti Virus 👍🏼 I'll look for it. Thanks Yumix 😂

• i´ve never been using anti virus programs xD back in windows XP times i fucked stuff up all the time so i had to reinstall it every month anyway and since windows 7 i´ve not even had virus issues at all (other than one time where i tested my luck with some very dubious software i downloaded off a shady site)

• how do you know that you have no virus problems if you don't use an antivirus... lol

• there are many ways to catch something... even from trustworthy sources. not installing anything on windows is reckless. and the windows defender is only decent from windows 8 or higher. on windows 7 it sucks pretty hard. had to restore way too many of those.

from someone who is ""experienced" with pc"

• yeah i know it wasn´t the bees knees in windows 7 ans i got some annoying malware but i´d go as far and argue that it´s pretty hard to catch a virus nowadays. in most cases, you will realize it... i mean windows asks if you want to grant a program rights to do shit. so either you install something or you inentionally execute an. exe file with a virus in it. viruses don´t just sneak into your pc via the internet.

plus viruses will often change something in your system that you can see in task manager or in some behavior. if i get a hunch that something is wrong, i just reinstall. it´s so fast and easy nowadays, i do it at the slightest doubt that everything with ok.

basically as long as you´re using windows 10 with all programs updated and NOT use administrator account and NOT download shady shit and install it intentionally, you are pretty much set nowadays.

• I have an AVG licence that I use on my home PC, my laptop and my cellphone. I watch too much porn not to.

• I don't want to understate the need for anti-virus software, but I don't use any such programs... which has put me in a couple situations in the past, but I protect myself from the obvious threats and don't mind wiping my system when the occasion calls for it.

• Yeah, I use McAfee antivirus plus. I don't use it to watch movies, but I do a lot of browsing and I make a lot of purchases online. In addition, I bank online so I don't want to take a chance.

• Get yourself AVG. I had a computer and I was using this store bought McAFee and it is awful. Only detected two viruses and it couldn't even get rid of it as it kept showing up the same two every scan. I switched over to the free version of AVG and it detected around 1100 viruses on my computer and I am NOT stretching the truth.
    AVG is reallu good and it'll reserve the life and privacy of your computer.

• I use the free version of AVG and it seems fine.

• I use Windows Defender, but ultimately use Malwarebytes.
    It finds stuff anti-virus sw misses.
    Plus, I work in IT so I can remove just about any malware.

• I don't need to protect my laptop girl , الله حفيظ 😂

• I would suggest downloading AdBlocker on google chrome (Its free) , and onvesting in some virus protection.
    But if you use the internet responsibly it shouldn't be a problem.
    No sexy websites in KSA lol!

• yes, but it is currently expired and I haven't had the money to renew it

• none. i turn all that shit off...

the antivirus is the virus

• I use Windows defender. I've never had an issue.

• No. It's a waste of money. Ad blockers are much more effective than any anti-virus. As long as you're not an idiot, your computer isn't going to get infected.

• Nope, I stopped using them normally since high school.

• That's why I got an iMac (UN*X) and my Laptop & Desktop are Linux powered. Fuck AV or Window :)

• I don't go to dangerous websites on my laptop like you do.

• omg, she's a hacker!!! xDD

• Yeah every computer needs an antivirus if you plan on going online. And my laptop is my main computer anyway

What Girls Said 6

• I use Malware-bytes. It was recommended to me by a friend and SAVED my laptop. I had so many viruses, but I will never pay for an anti-virus program. They're so obnoxious with their constant reminders.
    Before using Malware-bytes, my computer had a virus so bad that I was somehow blocked from using the internet. I could connect to it, but I couldn't browse the web at all. I ran a scan with the program and it detected thousands of stuff. My laptop works great again. :)

• (The program is free. You can pay to unlock better scans, but there's really no point to it.)

• I'll look for it , yes I want to save money. Thanks for help 🌷

• Nope I have a mac apple!

• Yes, but honestly apart from that the fact that I'm using the macintosh software alone is actually already antivirus enough :P
    #theperksofbeinganappleslave

• Yes, I do. I use a free version.

• I don't have one.

• Yes I do!!