Why is the "dyson sphere" theory considered even science?

a dyson sphere is a large object that surronds a star and captures all it's energy.
it seems to me, theyre using this theory to propel the myth that aliens exist and made some large alien civillasation, anyone here about the unusual star kic 462

it seems like pseudo-science to me...

Most Helpful Girl

• God said so, that's why.

Most Helpful Guy

• Dyson envisioned a large array of satellites rather than a single object. The term Dyson Swarm is often used now to more accurately describe his theory.

• yes, because that just sounds ridiculous, how can aliens even type 3 civillsation wouldn't be able to construct a sphere hundreds of km across

• So he suggested in the search for advanced civilizations to look for signs of this type of energy gathering.

• @Asker only fiction has described it as a solid structure. There isn't enough matter in the solar system to actually surround a star at the distance of its habitable zone.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 4

• Just because it has absurd proportions doesn't mean there's anything pseudo about it. It is theoretically possible but last time I read about it you'll need more matter than there's in our solar system to build a complete shell around the star. And since we don't even qualify for a type 1 planetary civilization on the Kardashev scale we're not likely to do it any time soon. A civilization advanced enough should be able to harness if not the whole then at least part of a sun's output. It's just mind-bogging idea for our primitive minds. Still, we can launch satellites in orbit who can do the same job but on much smaller scale.

• yes, but who says that extra terrestrial life or their technolgy has even harnessed this capabilites or passed us on the kardashev scale.

• No one. The scale is supposed to be only rough approximation for future referrence. So far we have measured only us. I don't think we will even be able to understand the type of existence a level 3 civilization could reach. They will appear godlike to us. As for the sphere - it is possible for us only in theory. I can't even imagine what you could possibly need to power with an entire sun. It is still a nice idea.

• I've read about it. However, I'm intrigued as to why you feel this is not science.

• it seems like pseudo-science, like a hypothetical idea with no basis on scientific or mathematical calculations.

• The basis is that the light emitted from the star is not behaving how light should be behaving. It's not unreasonable to say that Alien life exists. It's actually far more improbable to say that it doesn't exist. However, I do find that the idea that there is a giant structure built around a star to harness it for energy a bit... hard to consider. That being said, I don't think it is unreasonable to present fringe ideas if you have some kind of evidence to support your claim. After all, these ideas are often what keep science moving forward. Even if it is not actually being done elsewhere, is it something we could do? Obviously not right now. Nor do I think we have the resources to ever attempt such a feet in the future.

• But its not a scientific theory, its just science fiction. Like lightsabers.

• never heard of that one!