a serpentine water monster in Greek and Roman mythology. Its lair was the lake of Lerna in the Argolid, which was also the site of the myth of the Danaids. Lerna was reputed to be an entrance to the Underworld and archaeology has established it as a sacred site older than Mycenaean Argos. In the canonical Hydra myth, the monster is killed by Heracles, using sword and fire.
It possessed many heads, the exact number of which varies according to the source. Later versions of the Hydra story add a regeneration feature to the monster: for every head chopped off, the Hydra would regrow one or multiple heads. The Hydra had poisonous breath and blood so virulent that even its scent was deadly.
- 5/5 my favorite mythological creature24% (5)25% (5)24% (10)Vote
- 4/5 i like it a lot43% (9)40% (8)41% (17)Vote
- 3/5 meh its ok19% (4)30% (6)24% (10)Vote
- 2/5 i dont really like it10% (2)5% (1)7% (3)Vote
- 1/5 i hate it4% (1)0% (0)4% (1)Vote
- 0/5 worst mythological creature ever!0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote