Is it right to lie to people to make them feel better?

If you see someone and they ask you if they are something derogatory (fat/ugly/stupid/mean/etc.) and you know they are and you must answer do you think it is better in the long run that you lie about it or that you tell the truth about it?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• My answer depends on how close I am with the person, how sensitive that person is, and what they ask about.

I had a friend who constantly asked if she was ugly. She was, very much so, but I lied and told her she looks just fine.

I had another friend who constantly asked if she was fat, and she was, but I had a more honest friendship with her, so I told her she was fat and she appreciated my honesty.

Most Helpful Guy

• The way I do it is I will say "Oh you're not fat, but you could hit the gym more often". or something along the line.

More often than not, the person that ask those question already know the answer, and are just looking for confirmation. I don't want to confirm that for them, so yes, I will lie. White lie.

I know it bad to lie, but hey, some lie are totally #worth

What Girls Said 4

• Depending on the person and their state of mind... to a depresses person hell yeah to a normal happy person tell them the truth

• Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

• Vote B = NO = There are always polite ways to express an honest opinion.

• Nope, definitely not. If they ask, just be honest.

What Guys Said 4

• nope i think you should be honest but in a good way like if someone is fat then tell her/him like this "that you are fat but you can workout in gym and loose the weight then you'll look more good and attractive."

• No I'd rather you be honest

• Not right to my think

• All of those terms are subjective so you can't (know) that they are any of those things.

• I am pretty sure it is because they are subjective (and comparative) that you can actually know these things. For instance knowing someone is fat is based on what we know to be a normal weight for a human but... fuck it.