Is it possible to mean it when someone says, "You'll make someone happy" after rejecting you?

Do you believe it's possible for someone to really and truly believe that you are a great catch, can make someone else happy, be attractive to someone else, etc. after rejecting you.

I have my own beliefs on this (to be shared when the question is closed).

• Yes, it's possible
  • I have doubts it's possible
  • No, it's not really possible

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I think it's possible. It's part of life to be rejected, you're not going to have chemistry/be compatible with everyone and that's completely normal. By saying "you'll make someone happy one day" you acknowledge the fact that the person has good qualities but is simply not right for you. And that's fine, you can't force it. Personally I'd take it as a compliment if the person seemed sincere. I think a lot of people react to those words because it's become such a a cliche thing to say when rejecting someone. It just doesn't come across as sincere sometimes

• Some one told me this once and they didn't actually like me. Ifigured out he just said it to make me feel better because he knew I really liked him. So it can go either way!

• @Grungenoreos
      I hope you find someone you like just as much who returns your affections.

Be sure to vote if you haven't already done so.

• I did and thank you!

Most Helpful Guy

• It's possible but even when they do mean it, they mean someone who is well below them so if you think about it, it's a condescending way of letting you down. I have never heard of a man or woman reject someone who is "above" them unless they had self-esteem, anxiety or commitment issues.

It also depends how far down the line you are before they reject you. If they see (or misread in a lot of cases) signs of interest early on and drop that line, chances are they don't mean it at all. If it's over a fairly long period and they have decided you are right for them, then the chances are that they do care on some level and genuinely believe it - but, like i said it's always in a condescending manner.

• Fascinating. Thanks for your thoughtful explanation. Be sure to vote if you haven't already done so.

What Girls Said 14

• Yes, I do think it is possible. I can objectively acknowledge when someone is a great person and has a ton of positive qualities but that doesn't mean I have romantic feelings for them. Maybe they're a great person but we don't share the same values or hobbies/interests so the relationship wouldn't work out because of that. Just because they aren't the right person for me doesn't mean they aren't a "great catch."

• I think it is. Just because you aren't the person who will make that specific person happy doesn't mean you won't make someone else happy. I know that I have dated guys who don't make me happy but end up making someone else very happy. It's a matter of compatability. If it doesn't work then it doesn't work, but it will someday.

• Yes, I'm quite certain somebody probably told Kylo Ren he wasn't the guy for, but he would probably make someone else very happy.

• Wasn't the guy for HER

• Like me! Give me that lightsaber!!!

• Depends.

If you reject the individual because you're into someone else, you're taken, you don't like them that way etc, then yea. That doesn't mean they're not a good person, have a good personality etc. They could make someone else very happy, you just weren't meant for them.

If you're lying and rejected them cause they're a douche, then no.

• I see. Thanks for stopping by. Be sure to vote if you haven't already done so.

• I definitely think so. It's possible to mature enough to decline a good person that simply isn't a good match.

• Yes. It's what someone says when they mean well for the person and want to end it on amicable terms. You can truly wish a person good things without sticking around. Both people need to be satisfied enough in the relationship for it to be good for both. Do you always catch a grenade for every person you say something nice to? No. Do you still mean well for them? Yes.

• Interesting. Thanks for sounding off. Be sure to vote if you haven't already done so.

• Np, and yep I did! What is sounding off?

• Oh, I'm sorry. It means speaking up. Telling us what you think.

• Yes, it is possible to mean it because it's true that you would make someone happy but you're just not the one for them (the person who rejected you). I see it as also a gentle and polite way of letting you down.

• I never used it because I never really thought it was gentle or polite.

Any rate, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• Kind of a weird thing to say, don't you think? It's like you're actively trying to draw out an uncomfortable experience as long as possible. Nobody wants that.

• Ahh yes!! This is one of the most frustrating things about break ups. Most people take it personally when In fact it's just that some people aren't as compatible as others

• It can go either way. I was told this by someone who genuinely stopped likely me completely. Found out later he just didn't want to appear the bad guy amongst our peers.

• I meant my body shape. Just went through another rejection... And apparently not much people find me attractive. Everyone is so superficial. Especially at my age

• I 100% believe this

• Yes. Two people can be great, but not great together. Also, sometimes the rejector is very self aware and knows their own flaws that the other person couldn't handle or that would make the relationship unhappy.

• They are trying to be encouraging but most people use those words it to be polite.

• Hmm. I see. Thanks for sounding off. Be sure to vote if you haven't already done so.

• It's just a nice way to say "Go away I don't like you"

• Tell me, anon, have you ever said it yourself?

• no, I'm blunt if I don't like someone I just tell him "Go away your boring"

• Depends on what kind of person says it. There are people who say it in earnest. If my ex said that to me, though, it's a lie. He always said things like they were lines from a movie.

• Hmm. Thanks for stopping by. Be sure to vote if you haven't already done so.

• NO
    If you wre walkin gand found a big doamind.. would you give it up and say "it would make some person happy".. no ur keeping it!
    you only say that with things u dont care about losing

• Interesting, but I think your analogy might be so simple that it doesn't really work.

• You are a great example of why I think that the anonymous opinions on here are normally the most honest and helpful opinions on GAG. I appreciate you actually being honest instead of saying what you think you are expected to say.

What Guys Said 12

• Most of the time they don't mean it. People say things like that to others in order to not hurt his feelings, not because they mean what they are saying. At most it means they don't think you are a jerk and don't want to hurt you. They however don't see any appeal in you, or otherwise chances are they would want you for themselves.

• Interesting. Have you ever rejected someone using this phrase?

• No, I was really fat growing up, and would hear that sort of thing all the time though. It was clear they didn't mean it. They also didn't continue saying it after I lost the weight.

• It is possible but most of the time I think they are just trying to let you down with as little drama as possible.

• I agree that sometimes that's the case. However, I might disagree if that's most often the case. Always a pleasure, Bandit74. Be sure to vote if you haven't already done so.

• Naw, they're just bullshitting you, trying to make the blow easier on you, all the while being disgusted by your presence.

• Thanks for your opinion. Be sure to vote if you haven't already done so.

• Why listen to anything a person says when they reject you? Say "Fuck you very much", walk away and never utter a syllable to them ever again. They aren't fucking worth it !

• It's possible when the one doinng the rejecting knows he/she has preferences that are a bit different from most people's preferences. Most of the time it's just empty words tough...

• If the person that tells you that recognizes your potential, but does not want that kind of a thing for herself, yes, she can mean it.

Usually though, it's just something they say to make you better.

• Interesting. Thanks for stopping by. Be sure to vote if you haven't already done so.

• Oh, sorry, I didn't see the poll. I am new to the site so I do not pay much attention to polls yet :)

• If you can totally switch your feelings and emotions off, you can. Since that's impossible i would say no, it is not possible. No one wants to be rejected. It hurts.

• Well, the pain of the rejection is a separate issue.

• I think i misinterpreted your question. Are you talking about yourself being a great catch?

• Trying to make you feel better is what it is.

• it is but I am jilted

• Yes. It can be painful to reject a true friend.

• Thanks for sounding off. Be sure to vote if you haven't already done so.

• Absolutely, I've done this. Usually because I realized the girl didn't really like me anyway, she was just desperately lonely.

• I see. Thanks for sounding off. Be sure to vote if you haven't already done so.

• No they're just bullshitting so you don't get upset at them.