Ladies, would you rather have a guy to protect you, or to be able to defend yourself? Guys can also chime in with their own thoughts?

So what will it be girls?

Have a guy to protect you? or handle yourself?

Guys, what do you think girls should do?

you don't have to go as extreme as this girl but she's pretty bad ass

• i want my man protecting me
  • i rather depend on myself, my man is a bonus
  • other.. really? lol
  • i think this is stupid (explain)
  • im just gonna say violence is never good. (NOT THE FUCKING POINT) obviously, but okay.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmm... I would like to say that I can handle myself, but at present my body is in no way capable of defending itself. Not that I don't want to participate in contact sports (e. g. martial arts) that would teach me some self defense; I used to through out elementary, middle school and high school play football, baseball, basketball, sometimes karate, and muay thai, but I stopped since then. It is because I have a severe case of scoliosis that all the doctors I've seen, since I was in middle school, recommend/ed surgery. I never pushed through with it though. I was advised by my doctors to avoid contact and extreme sports as they put unnecessary strain and pressure on my back, which will make my spine more vulnerable. Atm, I can't even run or lift heavy objects without feeling great strain and pain from my back :(. I was also advised by my physician to avoid lifting anything heavy :(. So, if ever I'm in that position, it would be advantageous for both of us if whoever I'm with can handle dangerous situations. Idealistically, I'd prefer that we stay away from areas where situations like that can happen.

• sorry about your medical condition, that must be real tough. are you planning on going through with the surgery now?

• Yes! And that has happened. The metal rods damaged nerves or were implanted with wrong positions. Although, the possibility of a botched up procedure is rare, it still occurs; and seriously have the worst luck. Thanks :). You're very understanding

• you're welcome, ehh i try lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• From my experience if a women has grown up in a safe place she just does not think about needing protection in public places. I was out with a few of my female friends and we walked around our local mall. Being the only guy there and having been jumped by a high moron and robbed at knife point. I asked them if they had anything just in case. They jokingly said no and that was what I was for. If we got in trouble they would just have me distract the guy while they ran. and like they could run away in their flipflops or run for any great distance. Anyways while I know that they were joking I was serious about it and worry about it also when they were not. This happened on a few occasions before I just went and bought my own tazer just encase. While I would without a doubt protect them I also would rather not die because they never remembered to take the perper spray they their mother gave them.

• shit can get real in the suburban area (assuming suburban). they've been coddled by safe statistics in society, such a bad move.

• Very true if I ever get a daughter I'm at least putting her into a few self defence classes so even if she is a skinny runt like I am she can take care of herself and her guy friends when neccisarry. That and she is getting a tazer for her 13 birthday.

• a taser will scare almost anyone away ahaha. thats a good call.

What Girls Said 34

• I like to think I'm pretty strong and would prefer to defend myself. Rather than having to get someone else involved.

However, it's hot af to think about a man stepping in to defend me.

Probably one of the *main* reasons I like men with muscles..

<3 Muscles.

• Can I pick both? Like. I like knowing I can take care of myself because I'm not always going to have someone stronger and more capable around.

But when there IS someone stronger and more capable around, I want that protection. I don't want to be expected to protect myself.

• I've learned various types of martial arts so I don't have to depend on anyone else when it comes to it, although I probably wouldn't be with a guy of whom I knew he wouldn't and couldn't protect me in an emergency situation - that just screams coward to me.

• Both. Course I love the power of being able to defend myself but men in general are stronger than women so I wouldn't mind having a muscly handsome man protecting me 💁🏽😍

• I want a medium; I mean, I'm already pretty deadly when it comes to sniping, so I'd like to know a few close combat moves and I'd like to have a hulky powerhouse to help me fuck shit up in more than one way if you catch my eaning.

• I rather depend on me. The man can be a bonus. I'd like to fight for my own battles (whether that is emotionally and physically) sure he can "protect me" if that strokes his ego but if his not there when I need him.. Defending myself isn't a bad option after all

• damn you're real chill man. i respect that response. like you didn't even say both, you want to do you. fucking respect.

• you have the basics, see that's knowing something, that ain't jack shit. and those basics can take you a long ass way man.

• Just the basics bro, nothing flashy

• I rather not be in that suitauon. I am just gonna hide behind my mom. She gets really angry!

• I don't have too much confidence in being able to defend myself against a perpetrator especially if they are much bigger taller stronger. I stay out if trouble so I won't have to have some guy defending me all the time, but there are some times when men have acted inappropriately towards me and all I would do is ignore so in these situations it would be nice if I had a man to protect me. I think it's super super hot 😍 I love protective men, but I only want them to fight when the situation calls for it.

• damn thats a bust. ignoring them is fine, if they persisted you could throw a swift palm strike to the nose and let them know you're not to be fucked with. and then when 2-3 more of them stand up against you, your man stands up as well XD thats the dream huh haha

• I would love to be able to defend myself <3

• I would love to be able to defend myself (I want to practice karate or some other martial arts next school year and have done kickboxing for 1,5 year), but in some cases you just can't anymore. A lot of men are still in a big advantage if they're stronger and bigger than you (which most guys are). Besides, in cases where you don't have to fight, as a female you will almost never be intimidating enough, so I would still like it if I had a boyfriend who could protect me (which he can).

• thats good that he can. and you know kickboxing counts for something, it at least teaches you the basics of jab, cross, hook, uppercut, and kicks. so you have some knowledge and can apply it where you need it. karate is good but if you're really fast and flexible, I'd say try TKD, omg deadly lol.

• Well i a real fight you've got almost nothing with kickboxing. If someone grabs you, you're done.

What is TKD? If I look it up on Google I come up with an Asian brand lol. I like Karate because it's not only self-protection, but it's also a beautiful martial arts with quite some history and techniques.

• in a real street fight though anything can happen. and if you at least know how to punch, you can swiftly punch them square in the face as they close in on you and then run away while they are dazed for a second or two. even if a guy bear hugs you and you don't know any judo, brazilian jiu jitsu, hapkido, aikido, any form of grappling art, you still have the use of your arms, gauge that distance, send your elbow across his face and punch him in the nose relentlessly. I'm sure he'll let go.

oh TKD is Tae Kown Do lol. it's all about them kicks, you keep them at a distance and you kick swift and accurately, you'll knock almost anyone out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVuC6ugmAw

• I can defend myself to an extent.
    My boyfriend is trained in jiu jitsu, knows how to shoot, carries a knife, etc.
    I know I'm always safe with him, but knowing how to defend myself is valuable.

• Protect me :3

• I can defend myself but having my guy stick up for me would be an added bonus. We can kick ass together.

• I'd want him to defend me and protect me if I needed it but I definitely would not want someone super overprotective (i. e. if another guy comes up and creeps on me while my guy is in the bathroom, he doesn't need to come back and be a shithead- I can take care of myself in that situation)

• I can protect myself but having him there is a bonus.

• i like him being able to protect me but since he won't be there all the time, i want to learn proper ass kicking. i would rather neither of us be in danger of getting our asses kicked so i'd also like to kick ass on my own.

• yeah that's a good way to go about it. imagine if everyone in the world knew how to handle themselves.

• I'd rather protect myself but since im short and I look very young, I look like a lg that needs saving 24/7. Fuck me

• i can protect my self and stand on my own but its sweet and cute when he says he wants to keep me safe even if i never take him up on that lol it still cute

• defend myself but it also depends on the opponent if it's female of course I'll take the b on
    but.. if it's male then yea my man can handle it 😅

• You should've added the option of both - I would love to learn how to protect myself, but I can't fight so I would love it if my partner knew how to defend me for me.

• i guess everyone will just have to say both in the opinions section lol. but thats great! if i put both though i think every girl would just pick that option out of necessity. i wanna weed out the ones who really just want a man to be there

• I can protect myself I'm a strong independent girl who can beat the living shit out of people and if its a really bad situation. I always carry a pocket knife so I'm good 😊 but I think its cute when a guy trys to protect me 😊

• I've always protected myself. With a guy existence or without it. I also came into conclusion. This is a recent one, the idea of a guy protecting a girl is a propaganda. Cause when real shit happens, everyone will run for their lives. No one will protect the other. We tell ourselves stories like this just to make us feel better about ourselves and to be satisfied with who we are.

• i can't say that that isn't true, it does happen. I've seen videos where shit goes down and the guy literally just books it, i mean they both booked it, but the guy fucking legged it so fast the girl was behind him lol. fight or flight reactions.

• Ooh aonhumble :) Lol. You know that people love you here. So cut the bullshit.

• like heck they do! maybe when I was a nice snowflake people enjoyed my answers more, but at some point i just turned into a total dick lol. i try to keep it funny though, but I'll get real ;)

• I rather learn how to defend myself, I've always wanted to learn martial arts. ^^

• I'm ok with both... what if he's not around?

• It's times like this I'm actually pretty glad I'm a relatively big person thank God. Not fat but solidly built, big frame, I walk fast, and I've been told that I walk as if I have a lot of authority/look scary.

I'm aware men are much stronger and faster. I just avoid iffy situations as best I can, God willing.

• "I walk fast"

hahahahaa you are so funny :P avoiding confrontation is one of the best things you can do

• Hahaha I try and avoidance >>>> fighting.

• hmmm yes i like to defend myself but there's only so much i can do physically. I was wrestling with my friend one time and he pinned me against the well in less than 5 seconds. Men just have a larger and stronger build.

• true, generally guys can overpower girls. if he was pushing you against the wall though, there are more than a few things you could do to turn the tables. BJJ is one thing.

• Me, myself, and I. I want to feel like I can, and be actually able to take on anyone, that's real empowerment!

• I'm already a black belt so yeah, the man is a bonus

• Protection

• Both 😊

• Honey, I can handle myself but it's nice to know that someone has got your back.

• More from Girls
    4

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 15

• I like being able to protect my girl but I also like her to be able to take care of herself when I'm not around, so for me I'd train her how to fight, when she's with me I can take care of her but when she is by herself and I'm not around she'll have the ability to keep herself safe.

• im not sure where this would go as a vote but if there are no guys around i would hope she had a tire iron or some heavy blunt object to knock his eyes out of his sockets so he can lay there hemorrhaging thinking what have i done.

• I've been taking Krav Maga lessons for a few months and I think I'll enroll my daughter in it as soon as she's old enough.

I'm a very easy going person who'd do anything to avoid confrontation and mostly do it for fitness.

But it's good to have the skills and means to defend yourself or someone you care about if something happens. ;)

• all true! how is that Krav Maga training going? avoiding confrontation as much as possible is something I prefer to do as well.

people who have never thrown a punch don't realize how easy it is to break their own fist when thrown incorrectly. the skills are definitely a plus.

• Training is very intense, but not too rough in itself.

Helps that the people that train with me and my instructor all have that mindset of using violence as a last resort.

Also, there's a good part of the training dedicated to awareness and developing reflexes.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

• I don't care one way or the other. Just don't start drama an expect me to fight someone because you got into an argument... I'll be like I don't know that bitch and leave you high and dry to deal with your own mess and never call you again. I only fight when I need to, but I don't have a problem handling shit is someone starts swinging.

• A girl that can kick ass but wants me there too

• Well men's are not bodyguards but we should protect our women because its inside of us its natural order. She can't protect herself I can understand that and I appreciate that because she lets me do whatever I should do. You know kick some badass peoples gives a peace to me 😆

• you like the good fight?

• I'm completely opposite the fight its for animals. I'm talking about self defense. I'm just kidding yeah I like fighting

• Both... It's good if she is able to defend herself because he can't always be with her but when he's there he should of course protect her as good as possible

• Protect from what? Wild pokemon? Simple.. Don't walk in tall grass.
    Against mugs though, they most probably would have weapons so just easier to give them the money.

• that's actually true, well a lot of people argue about it, so it's around 50/50, but if they just want your shit and then bail, that's the safer route. your life has more value than the contents of your wallet/purse, but on the off chance they intend to kill you afterwards, gotta make a move and make it fast.

• Well she better not be wearing heels :

• i am not your meat shield. i am not going to protect you when you do irresponsible things. i also love when women fight each other, it hot. if a guy attacks her and is going to rape her, i will kick him in the balls so hard he has three adams apples.

• If you mess with my woman, she's most likely gonna beat you like a rented mule in front of your friends and family. If, by some miracle she can't, I will.

• They'd rather have someone who look like they can both

• yes, both would have been the answer everyone chose. i didn't want that too happen.

• I want someone who can fuck shit up with me.

• I voted a but i meant that i wanted to protect my girl

• from what...

• I want my girlfriend protecting me, cause some bad girls want to rape me :P