Which of these would be good for a first car and why?

So I'm going to be transferring colleges soon and I wanted to buy myself a car. I have the money and wanted to pay for it in full. I wanted to buy a BMW X5 or a Mercedes ML350. On the other hand my mom thinks it's too much for a first car. She wants me to save money for tuition and get myself a Jeep Patriot, Jeep Cherokee, or Dodge Journey. She said to get a used since it's cheaper and then when I graduate then I could get a BMW or Mercedes when I get a job after that. Which one would be good for a first car and why?

Most Helpful Guy

• So is money no objective? maintenance on a german car is expensive... like breaks and tires on the BMW X5 is high. I've driven the X5, nice as usual but stiff as usual to me.
    Mercedes is good as long as low mileage and maintained.

I don't know the other ones. Jeep Cherokee historically fell apart over time.
    Why not a nice Ford Explorer... the new ones are awsome... not sure about the old ones. Or a Toyota 4runner or Honda Pilot... these can be maintained and run a long time.

Honestly, I would go drive cars before you buy. I test drove Acura MDX... I thought would be outstanding but I couldn't stand it, old one was noisy. I drove a Honda Odyssey and loves it... just didn't fit in my garage. So you really have to check out what fits you. Then look at ratings.. then find one that was well cared for.
    I agree with mom... don't blow money on a new car, buy a good used one (Honda/Toyota tops), pay off debt, buy a nice bed, take a vacation or something. cars aren't worth it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Foreign cars are more expensive to fix get American made. or do what ever you want it's your money if you have it then what ever.

• @samanthamayxo I know that they are and they're not a must have as much as preferences but I'm looking into American cars right now. I want to save money for tuition and stuff. In general do you know if foreign or American cars are better so far as durability?

• Not really a car expert but I'd really review the cars consumer reports or something. And look into how much miles you get before most people have problems with them. If your buying used look at the car fax report. I'd say stick with American because it's cheaper to fix.

What Guys Said 19

• I would suggest getting something in the intermediate category. Nice, yet also easy to maintain. Your first car may end up having to go a lot farther than you think, and it would be nice if it was RELIABLE rather than expensive.

Besides, in the long term, a car is just a form of transportation. They are used to get between places- the vehicle doesn't matter as much as what it is used for.

• As a college student I highly doubt you got the money for the BMW or Mercedes so do yourself a favor and don't live beyond your needs plus they are more expensive to own and operate. I wouldn't listen to your mom either. Go look on Kelly blue book and other sites. Find a nice reliable car that you need. Because you'll be busy in college and not having a full time position to pay for expenses. And why do you want an SUV? Thats gonna only cost you more money plus you don't need it. Not like you haul things. I'd suggest you get a nice reliable car and really do your homework fkrst. Dont go after the names and stuff because nowadays people with nice cars means jack shit. a lot of people have nice cars but live in debt up to their eyeballs.

• @akadantank44 I've been saving money since high school and I've made enough to afford a used Mercedes or BMW not a new one. I prefer SUV's because where I live people can't drive to save their lives and it's safer. I also prefer them because small cars make me feel limited or claustrophobic. Also their not as safe as a SUV. I know it will cost me money and I want one within my budget. I have saved money for gas and groceries for when I get there in case I don't work when I transfer. It's not about names. I prefer stuff like Mercedes and BMW it's a personal taste. You know? I don't have to have them though. Yes I agree 100%!!! A lot of people live in so much debt especially from college tuition. I am planning to pay for the car with the budget I have in full so I won't have to take out loans. I will look at Kelly Blue Book :) thanks!

• @akadatank44 where I am I think it would be opposite lol women here are the ones who don't know how to drive. 25 years? Dude that's insane! No problem and I'm actually researching on Kelley Blue Book right now for the kinds I like. I might even ask my mechanic who I'm cool with on his option since he obviously knows more than me. Yeah I don't want that at all. I'll for sure look for the towing thing! That would be really helpful. Thank for everything dude! I really mean it!

• Lol yeah ikr? I don't know why. But I think there statistics show that more men get into accidents compared to women. Which I think is false lol I had some chick stop on a green light. Not like we are waiting for the light to turn green she just stopped when she approached it lol I was pissed I laid on the horn xD. Yeah idm why but he likes it i guess. he's retiring in April I believe of next year. Haha yeah definitely ask him. Mechanics are great when they good. Hey anytime! I'm always willing to help if you need anything just message me.

• She is right about saving money.

If you will be moving apartment to apartment, a good Jeep Cherokee is roomy for that, as well as having an outing with your friends. Mileage, however, is pretty bad. And Fords have better service records (Explorer, then Expedition are the Ford equivalent of Patriot, then Cherokee)

• @Curmudgeon I heard the Cherokee wasn't the best. Are there any Jeep's that are better? Yeah! I'm firmiliar with fords. I'll look into those names that you told me. Thanks!

• Purchase cost aside, German cars cost at least double to own. Maintainence and insurance are far more expensive.
    And stay away from Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep- they have had serious issues with build quality for many years.
    Get a Ford or a Japanese brand.

• I couldn't agree with this more.

• Focus's are good basic cars, very low cost of onwership and pretty reliable. Taurus's are much bigger and more comfortable- they're luxury cars without the bells and whistles (and accompanying price tag).
      I really like the Ford Flex, they're roomy, comfortable, fairly well equiped- a bargain comparison to the X5

• @Redstang88 I'm not a fan of small cars so I'm not sure that I would get a Focus or Taurus but I'll keep it in mind. As for the Ford Flex I saw it and it looks epic and I might look into it. Yes it's way cheaper than the X5 haha I'll be able to maintain a car and buy groceries for a year. Do you have an estimate of how long it might last me or at least fords in general?

• So you want an SUV? For that I would forget about all the options you have in mind and get a Toyota. They are the best SUV's hands down.
    Otherwise go for an Isuzu MU-X

• @Sexualchrist hahaha omg dude your name xD ! On a serious note I have never heard of Isuzu but I did see some Toyota SUV's that are good. Are they in general more reliable? Do you think they would last about 4-7 years for me?

• @Sexualchrist Yeah that's what I figured! I'll look into the land cruiser but what about the Toyota Highlander? I found some used ones for almost 30k if not I can look into the land cruiser. Besides the land cruiser what is your other 3 recommendations?

• Highlander is also good. Otherwise range or land rover.
      Also Toyota hilux which is more of a pickup truck but also half SUV if you go the twin cab. Very reliable and versatile.
      Otherwise Isuzu M-UX. Of Isuzu D-Max. Isuzu are known for making very reliable trucks for years. They have now transfered that reputation to their SUV's

• I would go with anything but those foreign cars. Here's why. An oil change on a BMW is about $800. Brakes on that BMW are gonna run, you around 2 to $3000 every time you do it. A battery is gonna run, you 5 or $600. Not to mention you were young kid your insurance gonna be through the roof.

• @worldscolide I'm aware of them being expensive to fix. That why my mom said other names. What kind of names would you recommend for me then? Yeah! Insurance is so expensive right now and I agree with you. Are foreign cars in general that expensive or is it just those specific ones?

• @worldscolide yeah I know! Especially Toyota! What about a Nissan? It doesn't have to be foreign I can do American or Foreign. I want something that will last me like 5-7 years.

• Nissan is good too their trucks are good that much I know. A friend of mine has a titan and loves it.

• Lamborghini www.car-luxury-agency.com/.../...-centenario-2.jpg THAT'S a car that i'd make last!

• Jeep Cherokee is usually more reliable and has 4 drive and they are so common and cheaper to fix

• I would say contact your insurance see how much that cost research gas mileage find out what the total cost for both vehicles is. Then if the bmw is Cheever than whoo hoo you can get the car you wanted. If it's just a little more expensive and your willing to spend the money get whichever you want. Wish you luck.

• Sorry I meant cheaper not Cheever.

• @StraightGuy998 I don't have insurance now but I'm shopping around for some. I'll for sure look into that! Thank you for the recommendation! BMW isn't a must have is a preference but I'm fine with regular brands. I just want something that won't crash on the highway. You know? I'll for sure look into this though.

• buy an old school bus

• Must be nice to have this problem...

• jeep they're cheaper and by the time you start to have a real job that mere and by the way will be breaking down every three miles so you will spend a lot of money on parts

• @james87_ do you have an estimate of how long you think that it would last? Like 6-8 years or less?

• don't get gmc

• @james87_ what about Lexus then?

• I drive a 2011 Dodge Journey, it's a great car.

• All the german cars you can afford are fug. Get a truck or something.

• go on craigslist and get a $2500 chevy or somin.

• @brewersfan01 Craigslist is too sketchy for my taste haha but thanks. Anywhere else? Any good used dealerships that you know of?

• all the cars I've ever bought have been off craigslist. ha

• If you need a car go small cheap and reliable 4-5 years old to old and your insurance goes up while it's still at its most expensive. Don't assume you will get a great job till you have actually earned one.
    Generally the more your car costs the higher the depreciation and over the long term maintenance.

• If I were you getting a first car, id get something like a Toyota, Honda, Nissan something like that. they get great mileage, cheap maintenance and insurance. BMW and Mercedes are so expensive to own, repairs are WAY more expensive, and depending on the age of the car it may not be reliable. I know two different people in two different states who have bought used BMWs early-mid 2000 models and they were shit, wouldn't trust it. if you buy a cheap Honda and it screws up it'll be a cheap fix or an easy sell.

• yeahh good BmW

• Lol kids these days! Only want the best! my first car was a 75 Chevy luv that didn't have 3rd gear and you want to buy a bmw or a Mercedes? Or let me guess since your still in college your mommy and daddy will be buying it? Entitled little brats!

• No! It's money that I myself saved from my job. My parents are not helping me pay for my car. I stated that I would be paying for it in full. Also I'm allowed to want whatever I can afford. I don't need them it's a want and honestly I'm fine with a used ford. You know? You saying "entitled little brats" is really not needed.

What Girls Said 3

• Tuition will bite you in the butt. I would suggest listening to your mom as much as you want the other car. I bought myself a used Honda Pilot and I love it. Your first car does not need to be your dream car or a nice car.

• @In-sight-ful I know it will! Some of the colleges I was looking into where more than a new BMW. I've decided to pick American car brands to save some money until I graduate. I am listening to her! Oh cool :) that's so great to hear. Has it lasted you a while? Is it durable? I was looking into some used ones. I agree 100%! At this point I can't be too picky since I'm only a college student. You know?

• I only bought my car about a year ago but it has held up very well so far for having 170,000 miles on it. I like bigger cars so the Pilot is perfect for me, it is also really open in my opinion.

• Take your mom's advice.

• Listen to your mom but by a car that's good for the environment