Today, a legislative aide to Sen Dianne Feinstein (D-California) announced that the retiring senator will be introducing legislation to make it illegal to name a child "Dixie" after January 1, 2017. According to the aide, the name connotes the Old South in which slavery was condoned and it is offensive to anyone descended from the slaves of the Old South. It is also offensive to anyone (such as the senator and any democrat who is running for office this year) who feels empathy for oppressed minorities. Another portion of the bill will require states, counties, and municipalities to rename streets and highways whose name includes the word "Dixie" or they will lose federal funding for new road construction. Finally, the bill would expand the definition of hate crimes so that anyone who whistles the tune "Dixie" would be guilty of a federal civil rights offense.
What do you think? Is this an idea whose time has finally arrived or does this proposal go too far in regulating our personal lives?
- I favor this proposal. We should always be sensitive to the feelings of the oppressed!6% (1)0% (0)3% (1)Vote
- I favor this proposal. What's the harm in having this law?6% (1)7% (1)6% (2)Vote
- I am opposed to this proposal. This violates our right to free speech!62% (10)80% (12)71% (22)Vote
- I am opposed to this proposal. My name is Dixie!0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
- I am opposed to this proposal. I like to whistle Dixie!26% (4)13% (2)20% (6)Vote
@AzureGirl @xHoneyxBeex @rgb008 @heavensgift2girls @Dancelover0608 @CheerGirl38139 @takumii @musicbrain5 @Mustachekitteh @TheSkaFish @SüßeJäger @cth96190 @brain5000 @worldscolide @Supersonic_Sex_Ninja @fenixx0083 @Kylesar