New proposal: The use of the name "Dixie" should be made illegal. What do you think?

New proposal: The use of the name Today, a legislative aide to Sen Dianne Feinstein (D-California) announced that the retiring senator will be introducing legislation to make it illegal to name a child "Dixie" after January 1, 2017. According to the aide, the name connotes the Old South in which slavery was condoned and it is offensive to anyone descended from the slaves of the Old South. It is also offensive to anyone (such as the senator and any democrat who is running for office this year) who feels empathy for oppressed minorities. Another portion of the bill will require states, counties, and municipalities to rename streets and highways whose name includes the word "Dixie" or they will lose federal funding for new road construction. Finally, the bill would expand the definition of hate crimes so that anyone who whistles the tune "Dixie" would be guilty of a federal civil rights offense.

What do you think? Is this an idea whose time has finally arrived or does this proposal go too far in regulating our personal lives?

• I favor this proposal. We should always be sensitive to the feelings of the oppressed!
  • I favor this proposal. What's the harm in having this law?
  • I am opposed to this proposal. This violates our right to free speech!
  • I am opposed to this proposal. My name is Dixie!
  • I am opposed to this proposal. I like to whistle Dixie!
I posted this as a satire of the political correctness coming out of Washington, D. C. recently. I really thought that the line about whistling Dixie becoming a crime would make it apparent that this post is a spoof. It is sad that many believed it to be true.

@AzureGirl @xHoneyxBeex @rgb008 @heavensgift2girls @Dancelover0608 @CheerGirl38139 @takumii @musicbrain5 @Mustachekitteh @TheSkaFish @SüßeJäger @cth96190 @brain5000 @worldscolide @Supersonic_Sex_Ninja @fenixx0083 @Kylesar

Most Helpful Girl

• Well... they continue to earn the moniker "Sheeple's Republik of Kalifornia"

Whatever...

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd name my kid Dixie as soon as they made it illegal. They can't enforce it, fuck em, cock suckers. Another example of the left being against free speech.

• We believed it cuz that's the types of things we expect out of a lib-fuck from commiefornia. I wasn't surprised at all and thought it was totally plausible. The left hates free speech, unless less of course the speech agrees with theirs.

• Totally agree!

What Girls Said 6

• I'm not surprised this is a democrat from California, he's probably never even been to the south. This is absolutely ridiculous. I named one of my dogs Dixie and I know people named Dixie too. I'm not in favor of any law or bill that would limit the rights of one group in order to "protect" another groups feelings. As long as no one is physically being harmed then I don't see the problem.

They can change road names all they want but that won't erase history or stop people from expressing their southern heritage/pride. It seems like democrats want every group to be proud and freely express their culture, unless you're southern.

They can try to "outlaw" the name all they want but I guarantee it won't make any difference to southern people. Trying to ban a word is pointless and if anyone is offended over a name in the first place then they have deeper issues they should get help for.

• Just wanted to add that I've seen no other stories about this but regardless of whether or not this story is true, it still amazes me how many people want to erase history and think that by getting rid of historical markers or other aspects of the south will right the wrongs of the past. Where I live, there has been tons of debate about getting rid of the Confederate flags on tombstones of confederate soldiers. What would that even accomplish? Absolutely nothing. So even if this story is false, it's not totally out of the realm of reality of what some people would like to happen in America, which is pretty sad in my opinion.

• Hell yeah. Year three is in the books (one to go)!

• I personally find this really dumb. The only things that ran through my mind when I read that name was the show called Heart of Dixie that runs on tv and a line in a civil war song that plays at work.

• wellll.. this brand is fucked lol
    i5.walmartimages.com/.../...19-9fbda6d5b2b1.v2.jpg

• Now we see the real reason behind the bill. He is trying to destroy the dixie company, so their rival paper cup company will take over. We had the soda wars, the chocolate wars, and now the paper cup wars has been started. When will our country finally know peace. :P

• @heavensgift2girls As if our country even knows what peace is. 😒

• Is this true? Because I haven't been able to find any other information on this. Either that, or my research skills are going downhill, lol.

Anyways, it's stupid. That's what I think of it. Isn't Dixie just a nickname for the South? My views do not align with the Republicans at all but I still think such a nonsense bill is a complete waste of time.

• I wouldn't care to much since it doesn't affect me really.

• I mean, there are probably more important things for you all to be at but I don't really see the harm.

Although, what are they going to call the paper plates and cups now?

What Guys Said 10

• I had a neighbor named Dixie a long time ago (I don't live in the South). It's a given name. It doesn't only mean the old South. I think this is a case of making something out of nothing, and feel like our Senators have better things to do with their time.

• I haven't heard of this, but it doesn't surprise me. Often they propose all sorts of crazy things, not trying to get them passed, but to raise attention for an issue.

• It really doesn't succeed as being satire, if people in government really do that sort of thing all the time. There was one woman in congress that actually introduced legislation to ban male masturbation as a way to bring attention to abortion. She wasn't trying to actually get it passed. There was congressman that introduced legislation to ban fat people from going to sit down restaurants. His intention was to bring attention to the obesity issue, not to actually get it passed. Banning a name actually sounds pretty tame compared to what has already come out of Washington in the past.

• I'm sorry his little proposal is going to get struck down by Supreme Court because it violates the First Amendment full stop end of story. I rather doubt he'll get away with anything like that I don't think it'll pass the senate I don't think it'll pass the house I think it'll just get shot down

• This is the same Marxist Jewess who wants to take your guns and turn the USA into an open police state.

• @OlderAndWiser
      People (of whom I was one) believed your spoof, because it was entirely consistent with what we have seen from the loony left.

• After reading the replies, I came to that realization. Is it absurd that this even seems plausible?

• Where is the option for "you're full of shit, that legislation is a work of fiction?"

• God forbid she marry a man with the last name "Normous"

• Oh ya, let's make this world a more politically correct place to live in.

• I have enough faith in humanity to say Citation needed

No one can be this stupid

• I'll have Dixie tattooed on my ass, And all these crybabies can kiss it!

• I favor this proposal only because naming your child dixie is like naming them eugene, its just a recipe for having your kid beat up and having their lunch money taken. JK
    Yeah, this shits fucked up