Rate this Mythological creature: The Cyclops?

in Greek mythology and later Roman mythology, was a member of a primordial race of giants, each with a single eye in the middle of his forehead. The name literally means "round-eyed" or "circle-eyed".

Hesiod described three one-eyed Cyclopes, Brontes, Steropes and Arges, the sons of Uranus and Gaia, brothers of the Titans, builders and craftsmen, while the epic poet Homer described another group of mortal herdsmen Cyclopes the sons of Poseidon. Other accounts were written by the playwright Euripides, poet Theocritus and Roman epic poet Virgil. In Hesiod's Theogony, Zeus releases three Cyclopes from the dark pit of Tartarus. They provide Zeus' thunderbolt, Hades' helmet of invisibility, and Poseidon's trident, and the gods use these weapons to defeat the Titans.

In a famous episode of Homer's Odyssey, the hero Odysseus encounters the Cyclops Polyphemus, the son of Poseidon and Thoosa, who lives with his fellow Cyclopes in a distant country. The connection between the two groups has been debated in antiquity and by modern scholars. It is upon Homer's account that Euripides and Virgil based their accounts of the mythical creatures. Strabo describes another group of seven Lycian Cyclopes, also known as "Bellyhands" because they earned from their handicraft. They had built the walls of Tiryns and perhaps the caverns and the labyrinths near Nauplia, which are called cyclopean.

• 5/5 my favorite mythological creature
  • 4/5 i like it a lot
  • 3/5 meh they are ok
  • 2/5 i dont really like it
  • 1/5 i hate it
  • 0/5 worst mythological creature ever!

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I like Greek mythology, thus I like Cyclops.

What Girls Said 12

• OMGOSH! MY FAV! 5/5 my favorite mythological creature

• 3/5.

• The first cyclops I thought of after reading the title was the weird one from Hercules.

• Cylopse looks funny 😂

• 2/5 I don't really like the cyclops lol

• Not a fan, I liked reading the story of Odysseus and the cyclops, but eh, not really my favorite.

• Don't we all see them on a regular basis in HDIL questions on here 😭

• Mehhh they're ok

• me no really liky

• not a fan

• Tyson! (Percy Jackson reference)

• I think he is pretty cool!

What Guys Said 5

• I like Ray Harryhousen's cyclops.

• 3.5
    Save a hella amount of cash on contacts

• 3/5 meh they are ok

• I did like the part of The Odyssey that featured the cyclops.

• The only cyclops I know is from x-men

• Optic blast!

• @nfigure yeah he killed Professor X like 4 years ago during Avengers vs X-me