In the real world, how 'complex,' is the work you have to do compared to school?

I struggled in school because the material was just so painful, so many readings! But the worst part was not that, the worst part is how muddled and exhausted my brain felt when I was done. I don't want to go through that for the rest of my life.

But now I am wondering if I am overestimating how 'difficult' the work will be once I start full-time.

Most Helpful Guy

• For the vast majority of jobs out there, you don't even need a grade school education. You don't need to be able to do any kind of math, and you barely have to be able to read at all.

In the "professional" sphere, you'll find that you DO need your education, but it's not your education or lack thereof that makes or breaks your experience with the real world -- it's the politics and all the unwritten rules of society.

If you put any effort at all into education yourself, you'll do fine (with respect to your education and academic knowledge).

But beware, the real world is a bitch for reasons nobody is willing to tell you about.

Most Helpful Girl

• Very complex since when your adult you can't depend on anyone for help or money or anything. In school with your parents you have to advatage to be around love ones!

What Guys Said 18

• school ain't shit compared to real life.

im pretty sure most, if not all, people realize that when they experience it for themselves. unless their career happens to utilize a shitload of what they learned in school, which is unlikely for the general population.

• Eh I don't know, carpentry. Besides the physical element which is literally manual labour 40+ hours a week, with spending your days in the shitty cold mud and rain all day and taking shit of fucking cunts in the form of colleagues, work sucks...

• I had sympathy for you and was almost in respect of how hard you may work (considering my parents have employed people from the trades and I know it is not easy spending those kind of hours in certain weather conditions), until you mentioned the words, 'fucking cunts.'

• @AllThatSweetJazz exactly mate... Yanks amirite?

• Dirty breadmakers the lot of 'em!

• I am in It, developer (so NOT managing the servers and setting virtual machines and stuff) and honestly, it's like school, just a slight bit more versatile and the requirements are more in depth.

• depending of the job and the place you work, also your experience you have doing what ever. all plays into the brain exhaustion you might feel some days. but usually the better you know your job (experience) the less it happens

• All depends on what it is and how you feel about it. I stressed all the way through school, but i absolutely love what I do. So I do actually do the same stuff that stressed me out on test, I'm very happy to do it and time had allowed me the chance to be more comfortable at it.

• What did you "take" in school?

In my field it varies. Sometimes you have all the information you need and it is easy peasy. Sometimes you have to dig through years (and I mean years as in decades) worth of shit just to find one piece of paper that proves that some event in the present is actually valid.

Did I mention no one knows how to file things?

• I took business but I went to one of the better business programs so it was a lot of work and a LOT of readings. I hated the readings especially.

If I have to do that at work all the time, there's a problem because I would hate it.

• Business is a lot of communication and a lot of paperwork. It's a varied field though so you can get away with some jobs that require less of both. But it depends on whether you manage people or not; if you thought homework was hard just wait until you manage another human who may or may not care whether they do their job well.

I mean you may be picking up tons of slack and essentially working two jobs.

• Mostly not all that complicated... but life is and in life it's useful more than at work sometimes. I wish schools would teach more about taxes and private finance stuff.

• My current work is boring and easy. Very understimulating and it is actually very frustrating. I'd prefer a challenge!

• I work in IT and what I do is way harder than school

• the actual work becomes routine... it's keeping it interesting which is challenging.

• easier. there is always someone who knows more than you. Once you become that person, you dictate procedure so it's still easy.

• Real work is much easier. Trust me...

• Depends on the job, really

• There won't be much of "complex" but there will be a whole lot of stress and responsibilities.

• It's much more complex, but actually doesn't feel as much because it's exciting.

• Less complex.

• Some of it is pretty straightforward.

The more interesting parts are like the word problems from grade 10 math, with a little first year stats thrown in.

I've had to do a triple integral once.

• No it won't be like on your brain anymore but you'll have stress instead though

• Like related to money/boss troubles etc.

• Mostly deadlines with things and how you get treated by co workers and your boss or how you get paid, if it's hourly or salary. Sometimes good to work in a big company too so work is not so focused on you since everyone is doing something

What Girls Said 3

• Wayyyy easier but then I haven't quite made it to the job I actually wanna do I've just been working as a personal assistant, waitress, model and babysitter so far lol still waiting to graduate from Uni and face the true challenge :P

• I'd much rather do my job than what I had to do in college. Thank god my job has nothing to do with math. Consequently I hated writing term papers too, but my career depends on a lot of writing very long documents and I actually wouldn't have it any other way!

• Real work is much easier I find