Do you think that suicide is selfish?

• Yes
  • Yes, if for spite
  • Yes, if you used a provocation of a lethal response (like suicide by police)
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, not at all. Continuing your life despite how much it pains you to carry on every single day just for the sake of your loved ones so they can be happy (even though you're not) is an extremely selfless thing to do.
    People who tell others they are incredibly selfish for wanting to /or taking their lives are the most selfish ones themselves in my opinion. What they want is for themselves to be happy in life, but what about the person going through mental torture?
    Suicide is never a good option but it's not selfish.

What Girls Said 13

• I've been at that point and honestly waking up in an ambulance with my mom crying like hell because she wasn't sure if I would actually made me feel extremely selfish. Of course it's selfish, it's selfish af but at a certain point you just don't think about what your death will do to the people who love you anymore because you suffer so much.
    I hate admitting this but the moment you actually sit there with a cutter on your wrist determined to die, you are as far from a rational thinking being as you could ever be.
    So yes, it's selfish but you can't really blame the people who attempted it and/or even succeeded.

• No more selfish than asking someone to continue an existence they don't enjoy.

• So you think parents who send their children to mental hospitals who fear the they are suicidal are selfish?

• Selfish is not the word im looking for. Id say cowardly.
    Suicide is an escape for people who aren't bothered putting in the effort to make their life worth living, even when the odds are against them.

• No I'm not going to shut up Anna, if have actually been to that point and genuinely tried to attempt it then you would know that what you have said is not true for a lot of people me included. You may have a right to answer the question but you have no right to call us or what we attempted cowardly and you have no right to say what suicide is or why we did it.

• @Phoenix98 and you have no right to know whether or not i tried it.
      And if u like your world view sugar coated, good for you, but my bluntness isn't gonna rest because of that.
      Not bothered arguing over something so stupid.

• I think its mental probly where their logic and reason gets warped and they think suicide it the best solution for all. They are basically lost and need help but are thr hardest to help especially guys because they put on an act that everything is ok.

• Yes, but I don't think it's necessarily the type of selfish to be purely angry about. We all are governed by selfish needs and desires to enable ourselves to survive this world in our own understanding, and in the case of suicide and contemplation of it, the person may be seriously ill, dealing with overwhelming misfortune, and in need of help. I try not to judge harshly but rather look at it with concern and weep for those affected. The decision itself though is a solo escape without regard for loved ones around who would be affected by the loss very deeply, so that is a clear example of selfish.

• I think to some extent it always is but the intention isn't to be selfish. When you commit suicide you think you are going to make everyone's life better so in that mindset they are being selfless

• Kind of. Most feel it's a blessing placed on others they are gone. I was once suicidal. I just didn't think I mattered, so I didn't think it would hurt anyone. I was just trying to end my suffering.. My grandpa committed suicide when I was just five. It leaves so many others in question! I will never understand why he did it. i want to understand someday.. But as long as he is happy, I am okay with it.

• Selfish and extremely cowardly.

• No. But people who are against it seem to like to do the political talk.

• Yes. Yes, for every reason.
    Suicide is very coward. :/

• It depends. Is the suicidal person responsible for other people?

• C:\Users\ABDULLAH\Pictures\10440804_723947844364254_5500724744255966012_n. jpg

• Nope.

What Guys Said 17

• I think literally everything is selfish. We can only approach reality through the self. We can only measure action by advantage and disadvantage. When one wants someone *not* to commit suicide, they are being selfish. They don't think about how much pain that person is in. They think "I want you here, even if you're in perpetual agony."

People have this idea of "selflessness" being sacrificing for others. But that's not truly "selfless". The only reason anyone does *anything* is for a benefit. If there is no benefit, there is no reason to do it. They might endure demerits to obtain that benefit, but the benefit is the goal.

So. We'll take two people. One wants to die. The other wants them not to die. Both have desires, so based on the definition of selflessness, who is right to get what they want and who is being "selfish"? The person who wants/ed the other person *not* to die is being selfish, because they are choosing their desire over the other's desire. The person who is planning suicide is being selfish, because they are choosing their desire over the other person's desire. They're both being selfish.

At the same time, I don't think suicide is always the right solution: particularly for teens who haven't really experienced much. But I do think it is in many, many cases. If someone has, say, leukemia, and every second of their life is perpetual suffering, who is being *more* selfish? Him for killing himself or the person who wants to keep them in that suffering? The same concept for mental or emotional pain.

And really. Let's face it. Life is utter shit for 80%-90% of people.

But. In the end. Suicide is most often an irrational, emotional issue. And, given that it is an emotional issue, it can be ameliorated. Most of the time. The only way suicide would be rational is if one could see the future and see that it would all be shit. Except in cases of terminally ill patients who have a 80-90% chance of enduring meaningless suffering for their entire future.

Regardless of what it is, it's nothing to dead people.

• I think the people that say it is selfish are selfish to be honest. Most of the people that say it is selfish only do because it worries them when a person says that so they say it is selfish to shut the person up when they should actually be helping the person. To tell a person that is suicidal they are being selfish only makes the person feel misunderstood and feel worse. So I think the person that says suicide is selfish is selfish.

• Depends on how you look at it.

You could say its selfish to guilt trip/ shame a depressed person to continue living a miserable life just because their presence makes you happy.

• Seeing how being selfish is making things all about you and how you feel, yes. Suicide is entirely selfish. The question is now, is being selfish always a bad thing? Or is there a threshold?
    If a man is gutted, dying slowly and all he wants is to end it quickly. Is it selfish for him to shoot himself in the face? Completely. But it's understandable. Is it selfish to feed yourself when you are starving, when other people in the world are starving as well? Yes, but you have to take care of yourself. Being selfish isn't inherently bad. It's when you're overly selfish that it becomes a problem.

• It's not selfish but it isn't good, it's what people think they have or need to do because life, stress or whatever has drove them to that point or they are in just so much pain that they can't stand to keep on living, no one who actually never has attempted it for such reasons can never understand what it's like.

And you really need to be careful when it comes to this subject, some people like me who have actually been through that might take offense to it.

• Suicide is an option taken by someone who cannot see any way forward and/or who seeks a release from psychological and/or physical pain that exceeds their ability to cope.
    How is it 'selfish'?
    I have noticed that those who oppose suicide are Christian zealots, who want to impose their paradigm of morality upon everyone else.
    I think about suicide every day. I have reached a point at which I can no longer see a way forward. The future does not hold anything for me, at least nothing that I want to experience.
    How is it 'selfish' to pull the plug on a life that is without hope, without purpose?

• Those who commit suicide are often ill. It's a lot more complex then the person being selfish.

It's currently the biggest killer of men under 35. That alone should show you there are varied reasons behind it. Please be careful when simplifying such an issue. It can't be labelled so easily.

• I do to some extent, but from their view I suppose writing a suicide note providing the reasons of their suicide (sometimes in detail) is what makes them consider the rest on their issue/problem.

However, on most circumstances I think it is very coward and quite reckless to take your own life. I understand someone would want to die, or feel like wanting to die and embrace death with open arms when it comes, but that's very different from harming yourself to death. For me, any way or form of self harm indicates deep psychological turmoil and sickness, and it needs serious treatment and attention. There's just no excuse of harming others, or yourself that way.

• Yes. It totally does. Once you are dead, you are dead, so you wouldn't care less of your own death, 'cause you just stop existing.
    But there are people who cares about you. Your family, your friends, your coworkers, even your boss, in most cases. Don't you think they will tear themselves apart after getting to know that uh... you are no longer alive? That none of them could ever talk to you again?
    Selfish as hell.

• I've been having very suicidal thoughts because of my overwhelming depression. I think it is MORE selfish for others to call me selfish for wanting to do it.

• You have had suicidal thoughts? Okay. I did as well. You did kill yourself? Me neither. Why? Because I don't want my family and friends to be destroyed. That's how suicide is selfish.

• people who suicide normally just are too sensitive and were never treat harsh and when life strikes they feel like life is falling on them, but seriously sometime people suicide for things that are not so biggie, i have read articles about people commiting suicide over: boyfriends, bullying, unemployment or feeling alone which i have live 2 of those things and they are not a big deal...

• Nobody is obligated to keep themselves alive for anyone else's benefit.

• Selfish, cowardly, pathetic, & ridiculous in my opinion.

• Not if nobody cares about you.

• Yes, that's the only case when it is. But if not a single person in the world cares even slightly about you, that means you are the greatest jerk humankind has ever met. Nobody is disliked by everybody, not even hardcore criminals.

• I still suffer from my 14 years ago died grandmother and my 3 years dead grandfather. So does my dad, so does his sister and so does my sister. And so do my friends towards their loss.
      And even if it was true, for those "months" they will suffer.

• @Giacomanzo You still very often (about once a day) think about your dead grandmother and feel sad about it? And a few months is usually about the amount of time elapsed in 3 episodes of a TV show. And they may suffer for a few months but then they have more food per person and will understand the sacrifice.

But this is getting way off topic.

• Self centered, as in focused on self and not considering the effect on others but not selfish as in greedy or wanting things for yourself.

• no. becuz in the end nothing really matters. we'll all die eventually so who cares how u die >:)

• Most things are selfish in one way if you want to be honest with yourself.

Let's say suicide is selfish, what difference does that make after you've killed yourself? Not like you're going to keep feeling guilty for the so-called selfish act you committed in your final moments.