Thoughts on taking a gap year?

i had a rough couple of semesters. And because my grades aren't the best and I feel every other college student my age is way more successful, I hardly talk to my family and have become secluded. I am lucky to get six hours of sleep. I might get eight if I am incredibly sleep deprived. I have wanted to major in dental hygiene since I was 15 but I am second guessing that along with just about everything at the moment I am not sure college is for me. I am going to talk to a counselor tomorrow so I can come up with a plan.

Most Helpful Guy

• Okay, my thoughts,
    1. make sure you only take one year off
    2. Its best to at least work during it.
    3. think it through.
    4. if you do take it, make the best of it

• Definitely. I think if I take the gap year. I want to have a job that's at least part. But I switch my major to English

Most Helpful Girl

• I think its the wisest choice if you're not sure what you want to do, and or you want to improve your grades so the chances of you getting in to the uni or college that you want to go to is greater. I took one, i travelled and don't regret it one bit.

What Guys Said 12

• Ok just breathe!!! A LOT of people do the same things, for various reasons!! You are SO NORMAL!! Don't freak out!! Your life is just beginning!!!
    What I found out, through doing it the hard way, worrying, and stressing, is that when you go looking for a job, or better, an internship, when still in school (good to get some solid 'experience' when in school!!) they almost NEVER care about your grades! Just that you got a degree, showing you can accomplish something!!
    Getting a job is all about 'selling' your skills to the one that wants to hire you!! I went to Junior college, then a state College, but did some independent research projects, met people, networked, and got a decent job!!
    It's so much about your confidence, when you interview for jobs, than grades in college. What you did, experiences, things you offer to employers!!
    Nobody will even care much about a 'gap year' if you have good experience, or a good story, to tell, about that year!!
    Sleep, at your age you want so much more, but you can get by on less!! I did it, for years!!! School during the day, working nights, about 4-5 hours of sleep, then back to it.
    Learn to focus your sleep. hard to explain, really. It's like when you go to bed, you imagine a restful sleep, knowing you will only get 4 hours, but if you convince your mind, that it is good, you can somehow get this DEEP restful sleep, and still wake up!! i wish I could tell you how to do it!! Also, schedule classes with an hour or two , between, at your most 'tired' time. Get a little 'nap' in the library!!

• Personally, I'm scared of taking a gap year, as there's a good chance I could "unlearn" lots of what I know, and getting back into the school groove would be really difficult D:

• Do it!!! I wish I would of done it before I went into college. Sounds like your only a year in. It wouldn't be too terrible. I know some colleges even recommend it

• To be honest its completely up to you. That having been said, the longer you are away from college, the more you will get involved with life, and the harder it will be to get back in to it. Trust me i have been there. I took time off to take care of my dying grandpa, and i was never able to go back.

• It is not only getting involved with life and other things, it is getting away from the study habits. They are very hard to get back into after a break. I am not saying do not take a break. Sometimes you need it. Just choose carefully.

• @Red_Arrow that's what I was trying to say

• I was away from it and could not get that interested in going back to it. Many years later I found a way to complete college while I was in the Navy and got a Bachelors Degree in Electronics. Without the help of the Navy schedule (lots of hours to study sometimes, lol) I probably would not have made it.

• I've taken a gap year. i didn't work during that year or anything. just take a nice break. that year is almost over, so I'm going back this year.

• Do it. It is better to wait to start something when you are sure you can be completely invested in it.

• I'm on my 7 gap year I say take no more than a yr off or just start college off slow or else u may never do it

• Quitting now will make getting back to school much harder. Tough it out.

• To be honest a gap year wouldn't really do anything. You're not going to improve anything over that year. You already have the summer to catch up on sleep which is more than enough.

• Yeah so you can just relax and then take it easy you know de stress yourself

• Are you sure you want to smell nasty breath from ugly people every day until you retire?

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 6

• The main issue is this: if you take too much time off school your loans will come due and you'll to deal with that. It's also important to think about how getting a full time job and earning full time money will affect your financial aid.

• If you have the means to be able to do it then it is a great idea! If you don't have debts to pay or anything else tying you down, save up some money and go travel for a year. You can work in hostels and do other stuff here and there or teach English somewhere to help cover your living and travel expenses :)

Totally wish I had done something like that when I was young and not tied down.

• Nothing wrong with taking a year to catch your breath.

• I think it's perfectly fine. I might if i can.

• Taking a gap year is usually not very smart because you forget a lot of fundamental math science, writing skills and stuff like that so a gap year can make things even harder the next year

• I did one when I finished highs school. Best decision ever!!