What position should I sleep in?

I have a disease in my spine and it hurts when I sleep on my back. If I sleep on my sides, my hips pop due to hip dysplasia and if I sleep on my stomach my neck is turned and I wake up with severe back spasms from my disease. I am exhausted but can't find any relief in any position. I don't want to resort to sleeping in my wheelchair, so what should I do? Please help!

Most Helpful Guy

• You need to ask a doctor who specializes in your condition. People on here are not qualified to give you advice at all. Many doctors are not qualified either, but if they specialize in your disease, they should know.

You may be told that a hospital bed that adjusts positions would be best for you. It could relieve pressure without causing mor pain in other areas. Speak to you doctor, please.

• My disease is very rare and the doctors don't know what to tell me either. Most people with my disease are paralyzed from the neck down and I am not. I still feel pain and I just can't get comfortable.

• There are usually specialty web sites and blogs by other people with the same diseases. I know of some who have a set of diseases much rarer than yours. They share info and find people who have found doctors that do know what to tell you. Ask your doctor to recommend a group or two for you. Depending on where you live, there may be a group that meets together sometimes. And if the people with it are paralyzed, often their caretakers join these groups.

Most Helpful Girl

• sleep on your side with body pillows behind your back and a body pillow that runs down your front and between your knees to stop your hips from popping try this and see how you go.

What Guys Said 4

• Oh damn hip dysplasia is no fun at all. I wonder if you slept on your side with a pillow in between your legs? Maybe get a better mattress like one of them memory foam ones

• Get a memory foam mattress and sleep on your side.

• address your problems.

• Ask a doctor. Probably fetal.

What Girls Said 6

• Get a real leg pillow that is firm. Sleep on your side with the leg pillow between your legs. It will straighten your spine our.

• You could always see about sleeping on a recliner or talking to your doctor about some solutions to help you get some sleep.

• Maybe sleep in a hammock. Have you ever been to a chiropractor or an osteopath? They might have some guidance for you.

• Well first of all as you know you probably need surgical correction of your dysplasia. You need a consultation with your orthopedic surgeons physical therapist. But in lieu of that my suggestion is sleeping with your legs elevated and your knees bent. And yes I understand that this will cause some back pain but if you bend your knees backward and forward alternating every let's say 10 minutes getting used to this while you sleep

• You should really be seeking professional medical advice, not asking us here.

• Lol I have two pillow and I sleep on them haha