What's the title of the ruler of your country?

• PresidentWhat's the title of the ruler of your country?
  • King, MonarchWhat's the title of the ruler of your country?
  • ChancellorWhat's the title of the ruler of your country?
  • Emperor, Imperator, TsarWhat's the title of the ruler of your country?
  • Prime MinisterWhat's the title of the ruler of your country?
  • Grand Duke, Sovereign PrinceWhat's the title of the ruler of your country?
  • Sultan, Caliph, Emir, SheikhWhat's the title of the ruler of your country?

Most Helpful Guy

• Just a president, we live in really inefficient system :P

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 24

• This might confuse some people here but we actually don't have "a" ruler in Switzerland. Instead, we have a group of 7 people who together make up the executive branch. They all have the status of the president in America or the chancellor in Germany. Furthermore, these 7 people are from different parties. The system in which they are assembled is called Zauberformel/formule magique/formula magica in Switzerland (in English: "magic formula"). The magic formula is an unwritten rule that is not part of the constitution or any law but it is still adhered to for reasons of political stability. It says that the largest three parties each get to put two of their people into this executive committee, while the fourth largest party gets to add one person (smaller parties can't be part of the executive branch). Together, this group of 7 people is called Bundesrat/Conseil Fédéral/Consiglio Federale/Cussegl Federal or in English Federal Council.
    Each member in this Federal Council has to be nominated by their own party and subsequently has to be voted into the Federal Council by all the members of parliament. There is no temporal limitation for how long you can stay in this position (so, some of our members of the federal council have been in there for almost 20 years), however, you have to face regular re-election in parliament, where the members of parliament can refuse to vote for you and thus kick you out again if you don't do a good job.

The same system is also established on a local and regional level. So for example we don't have mayors of a district but instead we have a council of 7 people, composed of different party affiliations, to make up the local executive branch.

The idea behind this system is that together, you make better decisions than on your own. You have other people from different parties to disagree with you and you're forced to make compromises. This ensures that in the end, you've got a result that everyone in the country can accept and where everyone feels part of the political process (something that is particularly important since we've got a direct democracy in Switzerland). Also, this system prevents an accumulation of power in one single person and therefore makes political corruption less likely.

• The system you describe sounds brilliant. My ancestors are from Tamins near Chur.

• Pennsylvania for some time and it was a really cool, memorable experience. One thing that particularly fascinated me was the fact that they still spoke an archaic form of Swiss German among themselves (especially the older people in the community). I had the opportunity to talk a bit to this elderly lady and I was amazed how our languages were 400 years apart and yet we could still understand (more or less) what the other person was saying. It was a bit like you trying to talk to people who preserved Shakespearean English :-).

• Oh, sure. . . "Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch). " Thanks for reminding me. The Reformation fascinates me, especially the Swiss part. I'm reminded of Hoover's writing The Secret of the Strength: http://www.gw.org/Sos/Sos.pdf

• one of the two, giant douche or turd sandwich

• We got a king (imposed by Germany, Britain and France in 1815, when they 'created Belgium' after the Waterloo defeat of Napoleon.
    First it was the Dutch king but Belgian Roman Catholics revolted and in 1830 we 'received' a German one.

• but inst the real leader a prime minister now?

• @anonman32
      King is just an honorary function and he has no responsibility. His acts are only valid if under the reponsibility of the govt.
      Head of govt is the prime minister

• the king costs only money

• In Spain we have both a President and a King. The President "rules" the country, since the King barely has any power, but he's still there, wasting people's money.

• In the U. S. it's "C. E. O."

• Emperor. Our current my dethrone before long, in favour of his son, though.

• Depends how you approach the topic, it would be 1 of 3 things.

- Queen
    - Governor General
    - Prime Minister

• I provided a long winded explanation of this in my answer.

• Being British we have a monarch and a prime minister. So... I don't know which option 😁

• I live in the USA so usually, the title is "greedy asshole".

• In my country its Presidente and the country im in, is Taoiseach.

• Bitch ass Congress.

• President, I think it's the same in most parts of the world.

• Grand-Duke... the only one on this planet :D

• The only one? I thought Monaco, Andorra and Liechtenstein also have Grand Duke...

• Nope lol

• The queen

• Prime Minister is the man here. Our president don't have a lot of power.

• President

• King Tommen Baratheon

• Just a boring president.

• retard.

• PM. We have a king but he has no power.

• Matt from Canada.

• The president isn't exactly the ruler, more the leader. He doesn't have that much power.

• The title of the ruler of my country is citizen. We have a president but he does not rule, he presides, hence his name.

• I'm in America, and I'd say "asshole"

What Girls Said 16

• Our head of government is a Prime Minister. He's not a "ruler" though. He's just the leader of the governing political party. Our head of state is the Queen of England and she is represented by the Governor General. The GG formally dissolves Parliament, calls elections and sanctions various aspects of the electoral process.

• President, However... Many times Referred to as Ruler "The Emperor" Who Wears Clothes, This one sure does, With Fancy pants with his own Wife who Prance.
    Good luck and Great work. xx

• The answer to whether the Queen or the Prime Minister runs our country changes depending on who you talk to in England :P

• Everyone in gag is under my monarchy!!! I am queen apple!

• We have the president in the US.

• Fucktard in Charge

• El Presidente

• non existent xD

• At the moment, it is president, but the current pres is trying to change our constitution and government into a parliament. So, my country's future leaders may be prime ministers instead of presidents

• I think I need to add that the president also threatened that if congress impeaches him, he'll disband congress... So another possibility is dictator

• Here in the USA we have Presidents.

• The President but is like a rubber stamp most of the decision are taken by the council of ministers and prime minister with the help of bureaucrats.

• Asshole... uh I mean President.

• The President

• USA and somalia both are called Presidents. before colonialism, we had sultans.

• King (actually Queen)

• President, simple and inefficient.