What does the word Nerd mean to you?

I love language especially the differences in connotation and denotation. The incredible thing about language is that on one level it is totally concrete and objective however on another level it is entire subjective.

What does the word Nerd mean to you?

Most Helpful Girl

• Someone really passionate about something, so much that they can talk for hours and i depth about a certain subject.
    Not necessarily smart or well informed in the stereotypical way nerds are perceived

Most Helpful Guy

• For me, a nerd is someone who is very passionate about a certain subject, usually a subject of some academic nature (gamers are not nerds in my opinion). I am also very much into languages and into science and academia in general. I'm one of these people who could just spend his whole life at university (something that would in fact be possible since it's almost free in my country). If I didn't have to earn some money to go on vacation and feed my future children etc., I would totally do that. There are so many subjects that interest me on an academic level... I would just keep studying something until I've got a master's degree or perhaps a PhD and then I would change to another subject again. In terms of languages, I also enjoy the act of learning and truly understanding them (not understanding the meanings so much as the "system"). Most people who learn foreign languages simply want to learn them for reasons such as "it might help me in my career" or "I want to travel abroad". Personally, I'm very much against this idea of usefulness. I don't study languages because they're useful to me in any way, I study them because they are incredibly interesting in themselves and they help me understand the world. So in essence, this is what a nerd is in my opinion: somebody who is interested in science or academic subjects not so much because this knowledge translates into wealth or power or having lots of friends or anything like that but simply because that person loves learning and understanding new things.

What Girls Said 10

• Me. It means me. A girl who is almost 30 and lovesssss to play some call of duty live. And who updates game systems only to keep up with Zelda. Who reads everything except a love story and needs a library in her home. Who is not a people person at all, and a total loner and I'm fine with it. Who is addicted to tv shows/movies and totally fangirls over stuff like Supernatural. Loves to paint, color, draw, create. Loves to Cosplay and Halloween! Alice in Wonderland junkie, total X Files comic book geek, ninja turtles is still my favorite cartoon, super annoyed about they ridiculous new female Ghostbusters cast ( like really, how do you manage to ruin Ghostbusters)... i could go on.

• Obsessed with a subject and knows everything about it. My husband is a need.

• I guess it's used a lot when referring to people who are really into particular subjects. Beyond that it doesn't really mean anything to me anymore and I don't really see anything different about people who have intense dedication and passion for their hobbies and stuff.
    They're also delicious candies that used to scare me when I was younger because there were so many of them. No lie.

• Confession though: Sometimes I get a little angry? Jealous? Of these self- titled nerds running around all Willy nilly. The majority of me is happy that there's such a lively culture embracing nerdiness now, but then I always remember getting made fun of and bullied for that in MS and HS so like I guess at times it still carries a negative connotation (for me) and it's still something I actively try to avoid being labeled as.

• it is interesting that the word "nerd" has become a badge of pride for some since as you said when i was in school it was nothing but negative for the most part

• It means someone that is just as excited about HP and The Cursed Child as I am.

• Not sure. There are so many types of nerds. I'm one that likes to fuck in bed lol

• a dorky person that us jocks push into lockers

• Real smart people, book lovers, comic book lovers, otakus, gamer n all.

• Could mean two things to me. Super smart- or just an idiot. The context is important :)

• @takumii Lmao perfecttttt definition right thereπŸ˜‚

• nerds and geeks are different.

• ok. so could you explain what a nerd is in your opinion?
      you could also explain the difference between a geek if you want

• nerds are creepy greeks are normal

What Guys Said 13

• just a guy who likes comic book material and tech savvy or really smart.

when I think nerd, I don't see any stereotypical appearance, because seriously almost all my friends and I are fucking the biggest nerds ever. I love DC comics, and we don't look like stereotypical nerds at all lol.

• Nerd mean a book worm a very smart person.

Basically the big bang theory

While geek are people who love a certain genre of things wheater IG be anime cartoon comics fantasy sci fi

90s music 80music you can be a shoe geek like oeple who lo e Jordan's Nike's stuff like that.

Geek are usually dumb people lol

• For me nerd is someone who possesses no confidence and charisma. They are afraid or unwilling to take risks and to have fun. They typically prefer to be alone over spending time with people, even if a chance is presented to them.

I'm just describing myself here.

• Someone smart but a social outcast because of their appearance and mannerisms

• I thought I was a nerd until I went to a local smash bros tournament. People were scared of me...

• Was it a LIVE Smash Bros Tournament? Like you were impersonating those character and actually beat up the others?

• @Giacomanzo no. It was filled with a bunch of nerds and I tried talking to some people there and they got all awkward. I made things worse when I vs this high school Asian girl everyone was going easy on but I go my best on anyone and they started to give me weird looks so I responded with aggresive facial expressions and body language.

• Myself and all of my friends.

• A person who is: really smart; not so good at sports; a bit introverted; socially awkward.

• To me nerd is a guy... who can't do other (than studying) stuffs without being clumsy at it...

• One whose IQ exceeds his weight.

• It means nothing to me.

• Anyone who watches Game of Thrones religiously.