G@gers, What's YOUR definition of "love"?

Everyone has different meanings to this tiny little word... so what does it mean to you?

(Here is what i think)... safety is what makes me feel loved..

Strike up your opinions too...

Most Helpful Girl

• So...
    Take everything that MAKES SENSE about what's keeping two people together.
    All of it. All the "compatibility"... all the "shared values"... all the stuff that "works on paper"... all the attraction.. everything. Everything that has a name, and everything you can possibly explain.
    Throw it into a pot.
    Light it up.
    Watch it burn.

Burn baby.
    Burn.

When the fire dies down...

that blackened stuff that's still there, at the bottom?
    That stuff that'll last FOREVER? Through EVERY fire and storm?
    That stuff that doesn't make ANY fucking sense at all? Because, after you burn away everything that *does* make sense, it's still there?

That stuff is LOVE.

__

Sometimes you start out with a whole pot full of stuff -- EVERYTHING works, on paper -- and you burn it off, and nothing's left at all but shiny metal. No real love.

Sometimes, you start out with nothing but a few pitiful scraps... and no one thinks you'll even start a fire... and you'll end up with a layer of the stuff inches thick, that lasts for the rest of yr life.

<3

• Wow I love this too. The last one would be the perfect way to describe me and my boyfriend, we are so "wrong" for each other to the outside world, but yet... It works. And we are deliriously happy. That's a beautiful way of describing love, did you come up with that or did you hear it somewhere?

• If you really made that up on spot then I will pm you every time to answer some of my questions... is it okay with you?

• Yah no prob haha.

Tx for the MH luv <3

Most Helpful Guy

• Love is like a foundation to a house. The house itself could have many rooms in it - rooms made of humor, anger, disgust or sadness. But much like feelings can be periodic, the rooms can be rebuilt over and over again and the house as aw hole could carry on. But the foundation will always be there.

And when the sad time comes to tear the entire house down, which place usually is the last to be dismantled?

Not the roof, I'll tell you that.

What Girls Said 32

• There's this great quote I found night:
    "There are plenty of ways to die, but only love can kill you and keep you alive to feel it". So there you have it.

• Love is when you start to see the other person as a part of your own identity... I don't mean like you stop being an individual, but their wants and needs are as important to you as your own, when you think about your future you see that person there just as integrally as yourself.. etc. You feel at home with them, wherever you are. You feel like the best version of yourself and also totally true to yourself with them.

• Hmm... well, it's complex and simple, multidimensional really. It's one of those feelings that can inspire you to go through pretty well every emotion in the book. I'd say that love is a strong desire for companionship towards a person that is inspired by a deep admiration that you have for them.

• Emotional security makes me feel loved.

I could be loved in every way possible, but if I don't feel emotionally safe then I'd hold onto my heart. I couldn't give my heart to a guy who I felt emotionally vulnerable with. There's many reasons why I'd feel emotionay unsafe though.

• Love... for me love is caring about someone, sometimes more than You care about You, is wanting to make them happy, wanting to see a smile on their face everyday. Doing everything not to hurt the, protect them, take care of them, doing things that You hate or bore You just to please them & make them happy. Respect & accept them as they are. Do Your best to forgive & forget, wanting to make them feel good with themselves, let them find a safe place with You. It' never giving up on the one & always wanting to work things out.
    Love is summer in the middle of the winter or that delicate sunlight coming from the little holes in the dark clouds after the rain, when everything is wet and cold and then the sunlight hit Your face & everything is bright & the more the sunlight hits You the more You feel that warm.
    Love is giving everything You are to another person & not asking for anything in return, risking breaking yourself for giving all the best in You to someone else...

• I know there are like 20,000 answers on here already but I had to chip in because I love this question so much!

"Love is patient." Love is being kicked in the leg by a screaming little kid over and over and over and over and over without raising your voice. Love is holding onto someone's fading light and waiting for the "beeeeep" when there are less painful ways to spend your own life. Love is screaming fits and unsatisfaction yet still going to counseling.

"Love is kind." Love is having someone call you out of your name, attacking you physically, cursing you out, destroying your home, hurting those you love, and you just giving them a smile and saying "I forgive you." Love is adoring a twisted, blemished, awkward person for everything they are. Love is unconditional acceptance, not trying to change someone completely different from you.

"Love does not envy." Love is seeing the one you love ignore you because your love wasn't good enough compared to someone else's and still wanting them to be happy more than you want to be cherished and felt.

"Love does not boast, is not proud, does not dishonor others." Love is being completely right but not making it important. Love is being completely wrong and accepting it. Love is being good, but trying to be better.

"Love is not self seeking." Love is never getting what you want, but always giving what you want, and never complaining.

"Love is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrong." Love is being on the verge of exploding and holding it in. Love is being betrayed and still treating that person like royalty. Love is forgiving big things like it forgave small things.

"Love does not delight in evil but rejoices in the truth." Love is not being supportive and politically correct and making a person feel comfortable in the moment, it is being truthful and protecting a person from lies.

"Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." Love is giving the benefit of the doubt to a liar. Love is never giving up, choosing to see the beautiful even when everything is exhausted by fire and weighed down by filth and mangled by stress, it is working with what you have left and knowing that things will be better soon. Love is holding on.

1 Cor. 13

Love is never easy, barely possible, unrealistic. And no-one is a perfect lover. Noone comes close. But for those who try, and reach, and give the love that they can, there is much in store for them.

• But this is not to say that you always get love in return for love, or rewarded or recognized for loving. Most of the time we don't, it that's not the point. Love is not something you feel, it's something you do, love is not something you get it's something you give.

• I really appreciate that you spent so much time in explaining all this... I #loved your opinion.. and thanks for chipping in.. :-)

• My definition of love depends on if it's romantic or platonic.

But in general, love means to accept someone for how they are, while trying to help them improve themselves.

• Why the need to improvement if you accept the way they are...

• Yah
      It's just, that whole thing about always wanting to see the other person improve -- I think that's *there* in a lot of people's version of love, but, being able to articulate it is something that often waits for parenthood.

Impressive no matter how you slice it.

• Like your best friend that you can do or say aything to and with and still want sexy times with. :) Thats love to me.

• Seeing more good in the other person then they see in themselves. I was going on one of my rants, and stopped myself halfway through and asked "why are you still here? I'm a mess and you're still here" "I love you, and I see the good in you"

• I think love means different things to different people. No two people love in the exact same way. But it basically boils down to not giving up on someone, no matter what happens.

• Here it goes: Love thats not even real. Its all in your head. I don't believe in love!

• Love is bonding your heart and soul to someone and staying true to rhem. It's not so much a feeling as it is a choice.

• If it's a choice then u could actually choose who u want to love

• U said that it is a choice

• @Dingsbums I did, then you were kinda redundant and so I was sarcastic. Think about it, there are times I guess when you would feel like "oh I love you and I can't help it." And then they do something Dutch oven you and think it's funny or they never want to help keep the house clean. At those times you have to make a choice: forgive and move on? Or let your emotions turn it into stupid arguments that'll start ruining your relationship. Why do you think so many people get divorced? It's because they choose not to change or fight for the relationship they once had. The attraction may be involuntary but love is something you have to choose to build on everyday. If my parents knew this they'd still be together.

• If I can Trust that person fully and have a Tremendous amount of Respect for that person that means I LOVE that person.

• Love is understanding and confusing and kind and fleeting.

• Love is something no dictionary , computer or human can explain. Even if the human thinks they are in love.

• I've always wondered can you love a spouse the same way you can your child? that unconditional love , no matter what you do, how you look, how much you get on my nerves i love you? I don't know what it is to be honest.

• mutual lust, companionship, trust, adoration and respect

• I think loving a person entails that even in the highs and lows in your relationship, if something happened to the person, you'd feel profoundly shattered. That person became a part of you. It could be parent child, sibling sibling, best friends, or a couple.

• Love is when nothing else matters. It's the best feeling in the world.

• honestly I don't believe in love, it's just emotion and lust as well as infatuation that clouds your head with all this love bullshit.

• a complicated one xD

haha

I love my guy. That's all I can say.

• I'll tell you when I find out

• someone who wants it whenever

• Jesus!!! 😇

• Love is when you have nothing to hide from them.

• Food= Love

• To care more about the other person than yourself

• Love is the moment when you meet someone and they give you butterflies that kiss your soul. You want to be around them all the time, you want to support their goals, and you want them to be happy. You would not hurt them, or lie to them. You love them on their worst days and on their best. You can't imagine spending your life with out them. They make you the best version of yourself and you do the same for them. Love is the ultimate prize and once you have it, never let it go. ❤️

• Sadly not the winner yet... I made it til the finish line but ran out of gas..

• It's a nauseous feeling in your big toe

• Spiritual union

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 37

• My definition of love is the biblical definition of it.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

• Love is accepting someone as they are, but wanting for them the best and encouraging and supporting them to have their best life.

There is no control in love, they are free. Love is something you give because you want to give it and you hope it is received, but there is no guarantee. In love there is patience and understanding.

Just beause you love, doesn't mean you can be their mate. It may be too painful. As it turns out, people are attracted all too often out of the sub conscous wounds in their hearts/minds. Those wounds reach out for the love they didn't get and they steer the ship... trying to control someone to get what they "need", or force something that isn't there, or punishing the other person the way they were punished. What looks like love can be twisted sickness of that person until their emotions are healed.

Read about Jesus to find a model of love, at least the non "eros" kind. There are different types of love... I love my dog, I love my family, I love/desire my girlfriend, etc..

• Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies.
    Love and lust is two different feelings, and is often confused.

• Intimate and emotional relationship with your best friend. Communication, trust, and respect are given by both parties. And lastly, both are partners in the relationship.

• Love is wanting the last slice of pizza, but giving it to your partner because you know they want it too, and you want them to be happy.

• Real love is my love for my daughter. Everyone says when you have a child, you will have a totally different and powerful love for them. Before we had her, I was like yeah, ok. I believed them but didn't understand what they meant. Now I see what they meant. There is no love that's stronger than a parents love for their child. I think is a spiritual bonding with the souls of the parents and child. That my definition.

• "What is love?"
    I ask the world.
    How it renders death trivial, when life relinquishes in your will?
    Together they take wing, from the north to the south,
    How many winters and summers have they seen?

Blissful when they meet,
    Wistful when they are apart,
    How many have been lost in this dream?

Then he said,
    "Those clouds that extend for millions of miles,
    That snow covers thousands of mountain tops,
    Without you, where should I go?"

• Loving someone means wanting to do everything you can to help that person find happiness, regardless of what he or she ends up doing in return. Receiving love back is not a part of love, but simply a standard desire.

• 1 Corinthians 13 in the Bible. It's known as The Love Chapter. Written by the Apostle Paul, it defines the word love to unrivaled perfection.

• When these gay chemicals in your brain get releases onto other parts of your body its just a trick your brain is playing on you giving you a false sense of something that is not real.

• An object or organism that allows for the human brain to encourage the production of various chemicals such as the much known oxytocin and endorphins.

Love is just a science man.

• The apprehension of the whole of another person, rather than the mere comprehension.

• An emotion.

• easy Love is my Boyfriend. :D because without him there is no love :D cheesy but true

• Love isn't about how you make a person feel, it's about how that person makes you feel.

• To like to be with someone or something a lot
    To like to do something

Liking someone or something A lot xD

• When you slap her in the face while she is sucking the D and her response is a gurgly sound that somewhat resembles a "sorry sir".

• Love is something even if we think understand it we never will no matter what

• Love has no definition and if it had a definition it won't be love

• :D

now, I like this answer more

different from the one where u say women are weak :P :P :P

• @HookingSwan I didn't say they are weak 😂😂😂😂😂

• To paraphrase SCOTUS, I can't define love, but I know it when I see it.

• Anal and strawberries!

• dude, why is this so many guys definition of love on here?

• Who knows? Maybe some girl may read it (and get ) and pm them or maybe they are just opening up... lots of possibilities...

• Love is when the opposite gender compliments you, and you post 69 what does it mean and Turkey questions on GAG 😍😍💗💗

• I WAS JUST GOING TO ASK THIS UGGGH WISHWLSIEBSK

• choice

• Legs Open Very Easy

• One word: bacon.

• when I think of love the first word that comes to my mind is stability

• More from Guys
    7