Prom: A Once In A Lifetime Experience or Expensive Waste of Money?

It astounds me what girls are spending on prom these days. To me, it just seems like a giant waste of money on something you won't even remember 2 years later. What do you think?

• Once In A Lifetime Experience
  • Expensive Waste of Money

Most Helpful Guy

• It's an experience but not a once in a life time one lol, and it can be a nice experience or a awful waste of money I laugh at the people spending 1,000+ dollars on a dress or suit though *shakes head* bless their hearts.

If your going to spend a crap ton of money on it then yeah it's a waste but if you just go and have fun and don't waste money it can be a nice experience.

Most Helpful Girl

• My prom wasn't that big of a deal lol. The one reason it was special was because it was my last day in London before I went to China so everyone were sad and crying about me leaving lol.

My second prom after graduating high school it was just a dinner. We just went out clubbing afterwards. 💁🏽
    Didn't spend much what so ever on my dresses. I really don't understand why people spend so much on tacky looking dresses when you can choose a perfectly classy and beautiful dress in a regular high street store. 😐 Plus I can wear these dresses over and over than just once in my life.

• How do you get to travel to so many countries? Says you're in Retail.

• Lucky you :)

Is it holidays you mean with family or other.

• @Oram52 I go on holidays with my friends these days, with my family I travelled around with up till I was 18, and also lived in different countries with them until that point.

What Guys Said 23

• Went to prom sophomore, junior and senior year. I wouldn't call it once in a lifetime lol. But not a waste of money as long as you're not an idiot dropping ,$1000+ on a dress or suit you plan on wearing one fucking night lol.

I went on the cheap first 2 years and senior year splurged a bit for the night as a whole. It was just an expensive group date really. But dinner at the top floor of a nice hotel at the beach. Choking with your girl and closest friends. Everyone looking fine and getting looks from strangers. Limo ride up to the prom. Dancing with your girl real close and just enjoying the party and maybe or maybe not getting laid at the end of the night... I'd call that an experience lol. Just not once in a lifetime. Maybe once in your life that your parents are willing to foot the bill. But I dropped $500 on my senior prom. Hell of an experience.

But if you're not the type to enjoy group events or don't enjoy yourselves at parties or simply don't know how to have fun without alcohol... then it's probably a waste of money.

• It IS literally a once in a lifetime experience. Well, it could be twice depending on your school.
    I had two opportunities to go, and I didn't, so now I'll never know:
    1) what would have happened if I asked a girl to go
    2) what prom is like

But the majority of people I know DO know these things, so I'm missing a very common experience that most people have... which sucks.

• I guess at that age before that moment it's a big deal and a once and lifetime experience. Once you in the moment and when your older you realize you could have done without it.

• I didn't go to my high school prom or college graduation. Everyone does their own thing , but I personally saw it as both a waste of time and money

• I went to my HS prom. I was low key and cheap, but I knew I had not much to expect.
    I didn't even show up on college and university proms.

• I was asked the first two years by seniors and I asked the last two, was epic. My friend's dad owned a beat up limo that we restored fresh year, used it all four years, same group of guys. We got second hand suits that looked first hand and my boss at the time paid for a room the last two years.

The after parties were way better and I do not regret those experiences, haha.

• Total waste of money looking back lol

• I didn't get to go to my high school prom. I wanted to but couldn't find a date. There was no way I was wasting my money on an expensive ticket and no date to go with.

• I spent fucking $130 renting my prom tux to take my girlfriend to her prom and we didn't even stay an hour

There were much better things I could've done with that money

• I did not go to my prom, since I didn't have any friends, let alone a girlfriend. I was a rare type of teenager, a silent loner who did not show his emotions, so the prom was not a place for me.

• It's both honestly, the best part is going to hangout with your friends.

• I know I'll be wearing the same suit I wore for years in high school.

• Prom is the diamond ring of social occasions.

• I don't even really remember my prom. So I'd say it was a waste of money.

• I didn't go. Didn't regret it then, don't now.

• Equally as dumb as the people that make a huge deal about sweet 16 birthday parties.

• prom was nothing like American Pie.

• Low class divorced people love the idea of thinking being flashy is important... lol

• it's just become really romanticised... it's really just a glorified school disco

• I just know it from the movie so can't really say but it seems a waste of money to me

• Skip it and go to the after party

• It's not really ONCE in a lifetime. You usually go junior AND senior year.

• Both actually but some girls get so excited it about it

What Girls Said 28

• It's a mix of both pretty much.

On one end you're spending $200-500 on a dress or suit that you'll only wear once in your life, $50 on the ticket alone, plus a fancy dinner, hair, etc. So yeah, really expensive.

But on the other end you only really attend at most 2 proms in your life. So I think that in itself is just a reason to experience it, if anything then for the sake of saying you did.

• my prom was 10 years ago, but i remember tickets were $80 (which covered the venue, food, pictures, etc.), $40 towards the limo (i shared with friends), and like $100 for my dress.

it was a fun experience, but nothing groundbreaking. much like a wedding, your prom need not be expensive to be beautiful.

• You don't have to waste money to get a good once in a lifetime experience.. I know some girls spend thousands of dollars for this day.. and he that's ridiculous.. (most of them a filthy rich so they don't really care about this) but as someone who belongs to a middle class family... I find this ridiculous.. just buy a good dress and have a good time with friends.. that's all there is to it. 😊

• I went to my prom but with a girl friend in a dress my uncle bought and we didn't rent avlimo or go to a fancy dinner. So I didn't spend any money on prom. I spent ten grand on my wedding though. Mostly my husband paid as is the custom in my culture.

• I just went to mine and for me it wasn't either. It was super fun and memorable but NOT "once in a lifetime" and I didn't have to pay for a thing. I got my ticket for free, i got a dress from a family friend and i wore shoes i already had. My mom did my makeup and my cousin did my hair.

It's what you make of it. Free and fun, expensive and boring, melodramaticly once in a liftetime expereience etc. I had a lot of fun and i can't wait to go to my senior prom.

• I went to prom on a budget
    My ticket was 20$
    My dress was 50$ and it was a gorgeous dress. Brand new. Came from Ross.
    My shoes were 20$ they were really fancy heels and got them on sale at belk.

I did my own hair and makeup.

• I went my senior year to prom. It was nice they played good music it was just blazing hot and the dance floor was so small. But it's a once in a lifetime experience and I am glad I go to experience it. Some people like the experience and others my find it to be a waste of money. I mostly went for the food but it wasn't much when I arrived there.

• waste of money

• It can be either, or both. It all depends on how you choose to go about it.

• Waste of money

• Eh.. prom was fun, and sure, you only get a couple opportunities to go... that being said some people go pretty overboard in my opinion. I invested $20 into prom (the dress), and I had just as much fun as girls who spent hundreds of dollars. I think everyone should have the opportunity to go, but it's not worth cleaning out the piggy bank.

• Waste of money. I didn't go.
    A ticket for my prom was $100. With the dress and shoes and everything else, too much money lol.

• For me it was an Once In A Lifetime Experience. I didn't spend much money, because things are different here.
    It was great! If I could go to prom again.
    But I can see why, it might be a waste of money to some people.

• Im glad I never went, what a waste of time and energy. Buying the "perfect dress" and looking good along with finding the right partner to go with. Oh yeah, you have to PAY for the table? what kind of bullshit is that? high school kids dont have a budget, some lucky ones do and some dont.

I never went and still dont regret not going... it looks cheap and trashy.

• A little of the first, a hell of a lot of the second.

• I think it's a once in a lifetime experience if you have the right attitude, the right people, and go all out. But if you're like me and knew you won't have an AMAZING time, don't waste on it.

If I'm not having an amazing time, i'm not wasting time or money on it.

• I think prom is a once in a lifetime, money wasting experience

• I went for the food and to spend the nights with my friends. I didn't go out of my way to buy a dress I would never wear again and I didn't have a date. I just went because I wanted to share the experience with my friends.

• I had a really good time. The tickets were more expensive than my dress. (It was on clearance for 75% off).

So, if you can find a good deal on a dress, by all means go. Otherwise, yeah, it's a lot of money.

• It better to regret going to your prom than to regret not going.

• It was a once in a lifetime experience but I'm also not American. Went to all three proms spending between £36-£115 on the night, since the tickets often cost £25-£30. I'll remember the last two for years and years to come.

• in my opinion it's a waste of money.

• Not planning on going.

• There's no point in going to my prom. If I show up with a girl for my date it won't end well.

• Expensive Waste of Money

• I didn't go to my high school prom, nobody asked me & I was a nobody back then

• It's both really. I'm not American but in my country we have something similar to prom around the time we graduate high school. I think a lot of people spend way to much money on it. I probably did too. It's just one evening after all. With that being said it was a special event and something that only happens once. I'm glad I went. I would have still regretted it if I didn't. And really, you don't get many opportunities to dress up in that way. Next time would probably be if I get married.

• HUGE waste of money just to dress up, drink, dance, get laid, and wake up with a hangover the next day.