What do you think of electric fences to keep out animals?

I'm referring to low voltage electric fences around places like home gardens to keep out things like dogs (or even pests in some instances). That way, the dog or whatnot won't run into the garden and destroy the planted goods.

So yeah, they are basically some wire put across a place with a current running through them.

The voltage won't hurt a dog permanently, but it would hurt enough to make them do a quick yelp and think twice about going near it again.

What are your thoughts on them?

• Electric fences are fine by me.
  • Electric fences should be illegal/not used.
  • <--- This is the obligatory "I don't know/other option"
  • <--- This is the obligatory random silly answer option

Most Helpful Girl

• I only use electric fences to keep cows from running away on my farm.

I've been shocked by one as a kid and it scares the crap out of you but doesn't hurt to badly.

• A farm-girl? wow! I'm hardly surprised! It's nice to hear you have experienced it, first-hand! I'd never implement anything on an animal or person that I've not first felt myself! (unless they were threatening those I care about, then I would take any measures necessary!)

• Thank you for mhg :)

• i wish i'd had one installed to keep the neighbor's fucking dogs from mauling and killing my animals (and the other neighbor probably wishes her cat hadn't gotten slaughtered by those mangy mutts)

Most Helpful Guy

• Really isn't a big of a deal. The family of my fathers side lives on a farm and I can't count the times I got zapped anymore. Its so low voltage that it really isn't animal abuse. People who think it is, never actually touched one.

That being said if the voltage is too high it is infact animal abuse. But usually its about the mental shock of the little electric shock and the sound that keeps the animals inside.

What Girls Said 16

• One of the most delightful things I've ever seen were fawns eating the figs and berries in my backyard.

I can think of some humans I'd like to zap, but no non-human animals.

• Hmmm, I think it's ok, but I would feel bad if a bird or small mammal got onto the fence and died. Then I'd probably cry.

Honestly, I don't think it's a bad idea to keep animals inside something. I feel like I would forget if it was my garden and go to get a carrot and electrocute myself.

• When my parents used to have one up for a garden, they always just used a shovel to see if it was active or not

• Nope not as far as I know. I think it just scared them off.

• I voted A, knowing this, still A. :)

• We have electric fencing around our hose pasture in addition to the wooden fence.

We use an underground electric fence to keep our dog in our yard.

It's whatever. They work and they're easy to put up/take down.

• Only as long as it isn't strong enough to cause REAL damage to the poor baby.

• I live out in the country they have been good for keeping pests out of my garden. It's on a very low voltage I would feel terrible if I hurt an animal, even temporarily.

• No, I don't think they should be used. It's probably just me being a sissy, but I would hate knowing that I was the reason an animal was hurt (even temporarily).

• Yes, but if the alternative is them being plowed down by a truck or the likes, would you reconsider? Like if a non-lethal shock that made them realize "this is a bad place!" might save their life from a horribly inhumane death, you would still stick to your original answer... I'm simply asking in a friendly manner?

• @smell-my-fingers I honestly don't know.

• I like them... I think they should be extended to keep people in.

• We have all sorts of fencing on our ranch. Including many miles of electric fence. I don't see a problem with it at all. I also don't see a problem with cattle prods, ear tags, branding irons, etc.

• I don't like the idea but I know that they're very effective and very common. I'm going to cede to those with more experience keeping livestock.

• They're fine

• I don't have a problem with it. In reality electric fences are way better then barbed wire.

• Ugh no obviously. If it isn't fair for humans I don't see why it would be fair for animals

• there are high voltage fences in classified areas JS and yes, they are for humans too

• @somechutiya true but in this circumstance it's wrong. I don't think animals deserve that. Us humans, we know where we can't go or where there may be voltage fences and the warnings. Animals don't. They can't speak and they can't fight for themselves

• Even if they are low voltage they seem cruel to me 😞

• Electric fences have their uses but I don't like them very much

• No that's awful. Why won't a fence suffice?

• I'm for them. Without the electric fence the deer will eat my garden right down to the roots.

What Guys Said 18

• They're fine. It doesn't really hurt them. Like you said they just yelp and run off. I've been shocked worse by things in the house many times.

It's possible there are stronger ones that can do real damage. Those shouldn't be allowed. But the ones I've been around were pretty mild.

• Now this is interesting. My parents have a farm in South Africa and we have an electric fence around it, but for all the time i lived and grew up there i have never ever seen any animal getting shocked, not saying that this does not happen. So i'm really curious to know. The only things that causes issues are snakes as then tend to get electrocuted. And is it the voltage or the current that actually does the harm, sorry if i sound silly.

• if voltage is high and current is low, the resistance to current in the wire must be really high to compensate for the low current so u dont get a shock but if the current is high, the resistance will be really low.

• @somechutiya Thanks, now i understand :)

• It's a good idea

• Now my brother actually got shocked by one and I trust him when he says it hurt like a motherfucker.
    One of my best friends was at a store that sold shock collars with his cousin, cousin put it on, set it to rhodesian ridgeback (the kind of dog they owned.) and the pain was so bad he fell to the ground.
    I'm of the opinion that unless you are talking something like cattle or bigger shouldn't be using an electric fence.

• I remember accidentally touching an electric fence before too when I was younger and yeah-- definitely hurts "like a motherfucker" haha

• It was on my uncle deans cow farm out in washington state so the voltage I imagine was fairly high but the thing about the rhodesian ridgeback is what really put me off these kinds of things unless its a truly massive farm animal

• never appreciated the pain of a "motherfucker"! LOL! any more details on this oddity?

• I think it's fine. I also use a shock collar to train and hunt my dogs. I set it really low so it doesn't hurt them but they don't like how it feels. I used on myself first though. It doesn't hurt at all, it just tingles.

• I think that an alternative that the genius people in the comments are thinking about will be much more expensive

• Electric fences, relative to barbed wire, are less painful.

• Electric fences are a non-lethal and reasonably humane way to keep animals out of a particular area.

• I've watched cows intentionally get zapped by an electric fence.

• I don't know about making them illegal, but I certainly don't like the idea of them.

• I voted B, because I think they're used too commonly where better and less painful options exist. That doesn't mean that they should be illegal, though.

• It's a good idea to keep animals out

• OMG I'm calling PETA.

• as long as its not killing any innocent animal then its ok

• I need an eight foot tall fence around my property to keep out humans.

• im ok with them

• Very effective.

• I think the voltage should be high enough to kill them.

• I'm guessing you are referring to ones to keep pests out and such?
      What happens if a person accidentally touches it though?

• They won't touch it again... because they'll be dead.